Milliken and Milliken question

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
browney

Milliken and Milliken question

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody was able to explain a derivation/simplification in Milliken and Milliken that I am having trouble with (I was hoping some like minded people here had been through it!!)?

In equation 5.2, the for the direct acceleration term (ay = Vr + 'v dot'), 'v dot' is simplified to V*Beta (Vehicle velocity multiplied by vehicle slip angle).

I have read the text a few times and I can't understand what is being done here.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Greg Locock

Re: Milliken and Milliken question

You missed a dot. v dot is the rate of change of lateral velocity, and he's assumed V is constant. v~V*beta, so v dot= V*beta dot

In English rate of change of lateral velocity equals vehicle speed times rate of change of vehicle slip angle.

As you might imagine it's a fairly small proportion of ay in typical scenarios, unless you are drifting or losing the back end. beta dot is a noisy measurement in reality.

The final line ay=V*(r+beta dot) boils down to lateral acceleration= vehicle velocity*(yaw rate+rate of change of vehicle slip angle). So if you haven't got a Corevit then one way to get beta would be to integrate betadot, (ay/V)-r all of which you can measure with traditional instrumentation. Beta is handy, it tells you what your rear tires are up to.

browney

Thanks,

I wasn't clear on why this is a component of acceleration (the centripetal component is obvious).

I can imagine it is due to the rate of the reduction of radius caused by the rate of change in the vehicle slip angle?

Greg Locock

Yes I think so since v=DR using D notation and so vdot=D2R