The "Shield" cockpit protection device - 2017 evolution

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

What proposal would you back?

The Halo as proposed by Ferrari
3%
The small screen proposed by Red Bull
15%
The Proposed Shield
17%
None of the above
66%

Total votes: 143

ChrisDanger

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

ClarkBT11 wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 13:57
ChrisDanger wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 13:49
Multi21 wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 11:39
It's not as if they plan to invent tearoffs for the windshields.
Why not? They have tearoffs for LMP cars, GTs, etc. It would be trivial to do so and stupid not to.
When do they get torn off, at the pitstop? A driver tears more than one of their visor during the race, would that be feasible?
I imagine it would work like any other race series. It's not like the screen gets totally opaque. If they can race in the rain they can race with a bit of oil and rubber flakes on the screen. LMP cars do long stints, passing a lot of traffic, and they don't fall off the road due to bad visibility from not being able to remove a tearoff. In fact, I was watching a race this year, it could've been the WEC at Silverstone, and there was one driver who turned on his wipers when it started raining at the end of his stint, and his screen was a gooey mess of smeared oil, yet still he did not crash. I think the F1 guys will be okay.

TAG

ChrisDanger wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 14:15
ClarkBT11 wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 13:49

Why not? They have tearoffs for LMP cars, GTs, etc. It would be trivial to do so and stupid not to.
When do they get torn off, at the pitstop? A driver tears more than one of their visor during the race, would that be feasible?
I imagine it would work like any other race series. It's not like the screen gets totally opaque. If they can race in the rain they can race with a bit of oil and rubber flakes on the screen. LMP cars do long stints, passing a lot of traffic, and they don't fall off the road due to bad visibility from not being able to remove a tearoff. In fact, I was watching a race this year, it could've been the WEC at Silverstone, and there was one driver who turned on his wipers when it started raining at the end of his stint, and his screen was a gooey mess of smeared oil, yet still he did not crash. I think the F1 guys will be okay.
LMP cars do 30-40 minute stints or less and have dozens of tearoffs removed during the long races.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Coinage

TAG wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 14:18
ChrisDanger wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 14:15
ClarkBT11 wrote:

LMP cars do 30-40 minute stints or less and have dozens of tearoffs removed during the long races.
So then a F1 car would be able to do half a race distance (~45 minutes) on a single tear off...

Morteza

Re: The "Shield" to protect drivers?

This is how it looks like on the Ferrari:

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Chubbs

I think it looks a lot better than the Halo. I could probably see people getting used to it quite quickly.
Chubbs

BanMeToo

It's not half bad.

Just_a_fan

BanMeToo wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 18:38
It's not half bad.
No, it's all bad. :cry:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ThumbsUp

F1NAC wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 08:21
I'm intetesting in seeing the shield
https://twitter.com/skysportsf1/status/ ... 3205713920

CriXus

Re: The "Shield" cockpit protection device - 2017 evolution

It looks kind of odd on the car. The car is not design for it, instead, they should start from scratch design a whole new concept. I even do not mind fighter jet cockpit like, as long as a F1 car is the fastest racing car on the Earth.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

i70q7m7ghw

Do we know if it helps deflect something like a wheel? I think this would have prevented Massa's accident back in 2009, but I'm not sure if it would take enough energy out of something like a wheel?

FW17

Total Failure

Shield not secured to the car hence vibrated a lot causing blurry vision to Vettel

Unlike the Aeroscreen which was quiet structural in its fitment the same was not done to the shield

I am sure it is going to be shelved now

bauc

FW17 wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 13:54
Total Failure

Shield not secured to the car hence vibrated a lot causing blurry vision to Vettel

Unlike the Aeroscreen which was quiet structural in its fitment the same was not done to the shield

I am sure it is going to be shelved now
Well not yet, full test is scheduled for Monza, with more teams and drivers testing
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

RicME85

Its just an extended version of aeroscreen from what I can see without the strengthening added around the top. I liked aeroscreen, therefore I like this.

Powy

Today in Silverstone Vettel said he didn't like the Shield. He felt a little dizzy because it distorts the view. The view was as if he was cross-eyed (via AmuS).

cooken

It's pathetic if that's the case. They seriously didn't even make enough effort to maintain optics? I would find that hard to believe.

Anyway the whole thing is complete self indulgent fappery. I want to see the risk analyses for all the concepts, and I'm sure none of them would come out as a net positive.