The "Shield" cockpit protection device - 2017 evolution

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

What proposal would you back?

The Halo as proposed by Ferrari
3%
The small screen proposed by Red Bull
15%
The Proposed Shield
17%
None of the above
66%

Total votes: 143

J.A.W.

Re: The "Shield" cockpit protection device - 2017 evolution

marvin78 wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 14:05

This has all 1 purpose: Show the public that they do "anything" for safety (testing new variants of a head protection). Than they can throw it away and say: We tested it and it did not work. We did everything we could but there is no way for an monoposto. => Everyone is happy (at first).

Ferrari did not do a thing to develope this shield as they did not develope Halo. They were only the first ones to test it. That's all. Halo was mainly developed by Mercedes and other companys and shield is an idea of the FIA.
"Ferrari did not do a thing to develop this shield..."

That is surely implausible M-78, since there is no way a 'generic' or 'one-size-fits-all' item is simply going to be
somehow bodged onto a factory team F1 Ferrari & sent out for testing with their top driver.. is there?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

marvin78

They were asked to test it and fitted the thing on their car. That's not developmemt. You can't blame Ferrari for testing it. Could be any other team. That's my point.

C Plinius Secundus

Hi.

I think that everybody agrees to the fact that the FIA safety standards have improved over the years, and they have to continue to improve them in order to protect the lives of the drivers as much as possible. Regarding the shield, I think they should have heard Enrique Scalabroni's experience about the subject, he introduced the idea of such device to Patrick Head back in 1985 when he worked at Williams (but his intentions were very different, it was meant to produce an aero advantage) and they tested it, both at the wind tunnel and at the track, former champion Keke Rosberg was the test driver, the aero performance was excellent, but after a few laps, Rosberg got sick (just as Vettel did), because of the visual distortion created by the curvature of the glass.

J.A.W.

marvin78 wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 07:03
They were asked to test it and fitted the thing on their car. That's not developmemt. You can't blame Ferrari for testing it. Could be any other team. That's my point.
Do you really believe that Team F1 Ferrari could be so blasé/casual & stick just 'any old thing' - on their car?
Doubt it..

J.A.W.

C Plinius Secundus wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 07:37
Hi.

I think that everybody agrees to the fact that the FIA safety standards have improved over the years, and they have to continue to improve them in order to protect the lives of the drivers as much as possible. Regarding the shield, I think they should have heard Enrique Scalabroni's experience about the subject, he introduced the idea of such device to Patrick Head back in 1985 when he worked at Williams (but his intentions were very different, it was meant to produce an aero advantage) and they tested it, both at the wind tunnel and at the track, former champion Keke Rosberg was the test driver, the aero performance was excellent, but after a few laps, Rosberg got sick (just as Vettel did), because of the visual distortion created by the curvature of the glass.
& so, given this fore-knowledge, why was a useless replica fitted for test?
Why was a design - which solved this well-known issue - not utilized?

Seems either deliberate, as some suggest, or an incredulous level of technical incompetence..

marvin78

J.A.W. wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 08:20
marvin78 wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 07:03
Do you really believe that Team F1 Ferrari could be so blasé/casual & stick just 'any old thing' - on their car?
Doubt it..
I did not say that. Just read.

RZS10

According to motorsport-total Todt pushed through 'halo' for 2018 against the will of 9/10 teams with his special right to do it "for safety reasons" - shield is dead for now

source: http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 71912.html

translation: https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... edit-text=

Just_a_fan

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cplchanb

who is this lone supporting team??? they need to be hung drawn and quartered.

void

FIA not FOM is ruining F-1!!! Halo is horrible!

The_table

Boycott anyone? --- hell... :evil: :(

n_anirudh

Are there any other systems present which are alternative to halo or the screen?

Now that the Halo is set for 2018, how can it be optimised. Will they run it on multiple cars in the Hungary test?

AMG.Tzan

It took Formula One 20+ years to realize that looks matter! Come 2017 they solve almost everything albeit shark fins and T-wings! Come 2018 they solve those two and at last we have beautiful cars again! 9 out of 10 teams vote against Halo yet the FIA chooses their own way and ruins all the hard work of making these cars look great by introducing the Halo on safety grounds! And the silly thing here is that the Halo doesn't even protect the driver from anything! Wheels or small things can still pass through the Halo! Nice job there FIA...i hope grandstands are empty next year so that you can realize what's going on! =D> =D> =D>
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

void

In 2018 I will whatching Indycar Series, WEC, StockCar Brasil, but not F-1! Brazilian F-1 coverage is getting worse every year, and Halo makes me quit watching F-1.

Jolle

In the halo I see the only proposed system that extends the safety cell to include the drivers head to protect him from large debris like tires, large parts of bodywork or complete cars or impacts against amco barriers. In the recent years there were to many deaths that were prevented by such a device and too many narrow escapes. There are no downsides like driver visibility, behavior with rain, dirt, oil and the time to get out isn’t a real change. The one and only downside is that it’s not a great looker. But so wasn’t the headrest in ‘95.
The halo is a roll cage, not a windshield.