Concept for regulations to improve overtaking

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jjn9128

Re: Concept for regulations to improve overtaking

Post by jjn9128 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm

This. ^

Unfortunately there's too much politicking and self interest in F1 for any positive solution to come to fruition. The 2021 engine compromises are now showing Liberty what a vipers nest F1 really is, it's all lovey-lovey until they try to enact change which would upset the status quo, then Wolff, Abitebouel and Marchionne and co throw the all the toys out of their respective prams.

3jawchuck

Post by 3jawchuck » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Just_a_fan wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:52 pm
It seems to me that the desire for lots of overtaking is as a result of a lack of understanding of what F1 is. It's like trying to make all cricket matches in to T20 games. Test matches are a very different to T20, and no less enjoyable to those who love the game.
We got DRS because of this.

I remember Schumacher and Alonso battling (around Imola in the mid 00's comes straight to mind), thrilling stuff, forgot to breathe several times. I also remember watching several Indy and WEC races, lots of passes but not one of them made me sit on the edge of my seat with excitement. I really enjoy rally, not a pass in sight, but blow me do I get all excited about it. As you say, all enjoyable but on totally different levels.

strad

Post by strad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Overtaking should be possible, yes, but it shouldn't be easy. Trying to create lots of overtaking just risks removing the race craft and skill that a racing driver should, by definition, have.
Could not agree more. Too often I feel that people just want to see overtaking but don't seem to care so much about the race craft that it should take to pull off a quality pass.
I personally don't care about overtaking as much as the trying,, the side by side racing that may or may not result in a pass.
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss