2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
digitalrurouni

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

GPR-A wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 16:00
So, what are we going to witness now? 3 Engines and drivers cannot push. Softer tyres and drivers cannot push. Add to that, the 30kg extra weight of Halo. Slower, Slower and Slower cars.

We saw a few races this year like Barcelona, Russia, Austria and Spa where driver chasing can push for longer and provided exciting finishes to the races. With tyres getting softer, 2 or 3 hard push laps and the tyres would be gone, then driver gives up the chase. With cars getting slower due to the factors mentioned above, even if the tyres gets 4 steps softer we would still witness 1 stoppers. Everyone would go slow anyway. THERE WILL NEVER BE HARD CORE racing with cheese cake tyres.

For god sake, why can't mandate use of 3 compounds in every race! That would take away the premium of preserving the tyres AND you can let the tyres be more durable. You don't need SuperHard and MegaSoft compounds. UltraSoft, SuperSoft, Soft and Hard (change the name of medium to hard). Just leave the tyre behavior as it is!

As much as the 2017 regulations change was intended to make the cars go faster, the FIA keeps shooting in foot over and over again. The more they take away the performance, the more it favors the big teams as they can spend a few millions more and push the mid-field and back markers even further behind. They don't have extra millions to spend. So, after a few laps, we will witness racing in 3 categories. One at the front, between HIGH BUDGET teams, one in the middle with MEDIUM BUDGET teams and PARTICIPATION at the back with LOW BUDGET teams.

And then FIA once again forms committees to find out, why there is no closer racing?
Thanks for depressing the piss out of me for next year's F1 championship. But your post I could not agree more with even if I tried!

PlatinumZealot

Nickel wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 07:26
It bothers my symmetry ocd that they didn't go ultra hard to ultra soft.
So how do you manage day to day given that God gave you balls of different size? haha
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Nickel

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 22:22
Nickel wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 07:26
It bothers my symmetry ocd that they didn't go ultra hard to ultra soft.
So how do you manage day to day given that God gave you balls of different size? haha
Some issues appear easier to resolve than others.

PhillipM

Dear Pirelli marketing team, here you go, you're welcome. Invoice is in the post.

GPR-A duplicate2

PhillipM wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 17:26
Dear Pirelli marketing team, here you go, you're welcome. Invoice is in the post.

https://i.imgur.com/rJyFe4E.jpg
The more I look at the PIRELLI analogy, the more it gives me a feeling that, I am not looking at tyre compounds, but at product targets for condom companies.

DiogoBrand

Why mantain the Hard compound from this year? Nobody used it. Even the Mediums were rarely used.

So let me get this straight, for 2018:
7 Dry tyre compounds;
Ugly F1 logo;
Halo.

Can somebody tell people in F1 they should be trying to make the sport better?

rscsr

DiogoBrand wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 21:20
Why maintain the Hard compound from this year? Nobody used it. Even the Mediums were rarely used.
To have a backup. With the current 3 tyre compound rules there is always a tyre that sustains the whole race.

DiogoBrand

rscsr wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 07:33
DiogoBrand wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 21:20
Why maintain the Hard compound from this year? Nobody used it. Even the Mediums were rarely used.
To have a backup. With the current 3 tyre compound rules there is always a tyre that sustains the whole race.
Why? You must change tyres anyway.

Pirelli have stated they do not plan to use the superhard but have it in case the teams find more downforce than expected in the off season and through 2018.
"It is not really a compound we intend to use next year, it is a back-up compound," Pirelli's head of racing Mario Isola told ESPN. "We want to have it in the range because if, for whatever reason, we underestimate the rate of development at the end of the year and we will have it in the range if we need to go one step harder.

"At the moment we are planning to use from the hard to the hyper-soft."

PlatinumZealot

Yeah, it's just there for marketing reasons. To complete the Pirelli rainbow. And you know, Engineers don't like to throw away their work!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach

Choices for the first 3 GPs already out.

The only surprise is China skipping a step.

godlameroso

I wonder how the new tires perform, will the degradation be faster than the lap time gain from fuel burn off? This year the degradation was such that combined with a car weighing less due to fuel burn, the pace remained more or less constant for each stint, and on occasion cars would actually get faster during the stint. By going one step softer there will still be races that can be done with one stop, however the big question mark is, will it be faster to two stop? Or will it be faster to one stop and be slower at the start of the stint but faster at the end by taking a harder tire? In other words take that tire that is slower, but won't degrade overall performance, or take the tire that will be faster but will lose performance eventually being slower than the slow tire.

I wonder if that's what they're aiming for, as it would definitely add an element of strategy.
Saishū kōnā

FPV GTHO

Sevach wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 16:16
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQxQ377VAAcz5WH.jpg

Choices for the first 3 GPs already out.

The only surprise is China skipping a step.
It suggests to me the temperature working ranges might still be out of alignment with the compound softness, but there could be other reasons. IIRC, Pirelli recorded the lowest track temps of the year at Shanghai, but the layout is still demanding of the tyres. Albert Park in comparison will have a low demand from the tyres but much higher ambient temps. Bahrain will also have higher ambient temps but will also have high demand from the tyres. There might have been concerns about the Super Soft warming up during qualifying for Shanghai.

FrukostScones

digitalrurouni wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 16:03
GPR-A wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 16:00
So, what are we going to witness now? 3 Engines and drivers cannot push. Softer tyres and drivers cannot push. Add to that, the 30kg extra weight of Halo. Slower, Slower and Slower cars.

We saw a few races this year like Barcelona, Russia, Austria and Spa where driver chasing can push for longer and provided exciting finishes to the races. With tyres getting softer, 2 or 3 hard push laps and the tyres would be gone, then driver gives up the chase. With cars getting slower due to the factors mentioned above, even if the tyres gets 4 steps softer we would still witness 1 stoppers. Everyone would go slow anyway. THERE WILL NEVER BE HARD CORE racing with cheese cake tyres.

For god sake, why can't mandate use of 3 compounds in every race! That would take away the premium of preserving the tyres AND you can let the tyres be more durable. You don't need SuperHard and MegaSoft compounds. UltraSoft, SuperSoft, Soft and Hard (change the name of medium to hard). Just leave the tyre behavior as it is!

As much as the 2017 regulations change was intended to make the cars go faster, the FIA keeps shooting in foot over and over again. The more they take away the performance, the more it favors the big teams as they can spend a few millions more and push the mid-field and back markers even further behind. They don't have extra millions to spend. So, after a few laps, we will witness racing in 3 categories. One at the front, between HIGH BUDGET teams, one in the middle with MEDIUM BUDGET teams and PARTICIPATION at the back with LOW BUDGET teams.

And then FIA once again forms committees to find out, why there is no closer racing?
Thanks for depressing the piss out of me for next year's F1 championship. But your post I could not agree more with even if I tried!
weren't the new tyres were well received ...?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13333 ... s-produced
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

j2004p

PhillipM wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 17:26

https://i.imgur.com/rJyFe4E.jpg
Superb naming strategy, also gets across the point that every compound is one step softer much more clearly.