2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Morteza

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ripper

ENGINE TUNER

Any ideas why the superrsoft tires seemed less effective (less grip and less durability) than the ultra soft tires in Australia? The chart above claims that both the ultra and the super have the same working range but the supers seemed to not be able to cope at the beginning of the race as well as the ultras.

j2004p

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 10:31
Any ideas why the superrsoft tires seemed less effective (less grip and less durability) than the ultra soft tires in Australia? The chart above claims that both the ultra and the super have the same working range but the supers seemed to not be able to cope at the beginning of the race as well as the ultras.
Track rubbering back in and improving during the race after the rain on Saturday maybe?

Sieper

I feel we could have gone Hyper, Ultra, Super in Australia, especially as overtaking is quite hard that would have allowed for some more variance in strategy (and thus fight or at least drama). Although we already had quite some classical drama happening for Haas regardless of tire choice.

PinkFloydPulse

Any comments on Pirelli changing tires a bit for some circuits based on Mercedes' request? Other teams are against it but yet Pirelli is calling a safety veto and is doing it anyway even tough only Mercedes complained that they have too much blistering...
Team Fernando!

godlameroso

When did this happen?

From the looks of it the tire degradation matches the pace increase from fuel effect, so performance is relatively consistent. After a certain amount of laps the degradation ramps up faster than the fuel effect so the car starts losing performance.

The race performance of adjacent compounds is similar, the difference is only a handful of laps worth of useful life. The medium tire had essentially the same race performance as the soft, except the medium lasted a little longer. I will say that while the tires are in their lap windows their performance is very consistent. The absolute best part is that it seems the new construction doesn't reward grandma driving tire saving stints, that going flat out within reason doesn't kill the tires or trying to be super gentle doesn't really extend their life.

This is good because we now see actual strategy which changes depending on what happens in the race, as well as creating scenarios that have daring one stoppers hanging on for dear life at the end of the race while a faster car battles for the lead.
Saishū kōnā

zac510

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 10:02
Any comments on Pirelli changing tires a bit for some circuits based on Mercedes' request? Other teams are against it but yet Pirelli is calling a safety veto and is doing it anyway even tough only Mercedes complained that they have too much blistering...
Personally I'm a bit confused because I thought a thinner (slick) tyre heats up faster, having less mass above the tyre belt, so making it thinner to make it cooler seems odd. I guess the amount a tyre heats up relative to its wear is not linear at all like I thought.

PinkFloydPulse

godlameroso wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 21:13
When did this happen?
Don't know when the decision was made but FIA gave the green light...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/pirelli-ag ... e-demands/

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... ul-ri.html

Seems unfair to other teams if you ask me...
Team Fernando!

godlameroso

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:12
godlameroso wrote:
When did this happen?

Why would it be unfair, it's the same for everyone, the slightly thinner tire doesn't retain as much temperature, this will produce fewer marbles in these newly repaved tracks. This isn't a bad thing, it could be that Mercedes gains a tire wear advantage if you want to go the conspiracy route, but I doubt it. Although maybe it means that running beyond the Pirelli tire life recommendation becomes risky business. Maybe that's what happened to Vettel's Ferrari in Silverstone last year, tried to push the soft too hard and too long.

He claimed he had tire vibrations in Bahrain and he was so off the pace Alonso started pulling away from him and avoided getting lapped. It would be a shame if there were another delamination issue this year with the race win on the balance.
Saishū kōnā

PinkFloydPulse

godlameroso wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:19
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:12
godlameroso wrote:
When did this happen?

This isn't a bad thing, it could be that Mercedes gains a tire wear advantage if you want to go the conspiracy route, but I doubt it.
I have to admit I was thinking exactly this... lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Team Fernando!

godlameroso

Do these tires have an ideal pressure range, or only ideal temperature range?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Takeaways from 2018 tires used so far. 1 stop is risky but gives good track position, 2 stop is faster overall only if there's a big gap in pace over the cars you need to pass, or if the track allows it. 3 stops is likely unnecessary at most tracks, but could work with a safety car/VSC. Automatically you should pit for new tires if there is any safety car or VSC, the pace advantage from new tires makes it worth it.

So far the Ultra soft was good for ~12 laps, the super was good for about 18-20 laps the soft was good for double the ultra or(~24-26), and the mediums although consistent are slower. The mediums will give the same pace throughout, so if the driver's pace is 1:37, it will stay 1:37 until the end, if a driver pits after say 20 laps, he'll be a second faster if he stays on mediums until the end.

The tires don't seem to last much longer by managing them, Monaco is going to be very interesting, especially if it winds up being a 2 stop.
Saishū kōnā

NL_Fer

2017 the Supersoft was pretty useless in most cases. Durability was not much better than the Ultrasoft and the Soft was usually equal or faster after just a few laps when the SS started to degrade.

I wonder what this years bad tyre will be, for now they looked pretty good and durable. And i like this one stop slower at the end vs 2 stop faster, but needs to overtake strategies.

MtthsMlw