2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
mrluke

Re: Design the Hyper-Soft tyre!

SR71 wrote:
17 May 2017, 02:06
I heard that Pirrelli had an alternative compound tire group waiting in the wings should the launch compounds had not worked out.

My guess is they are actually a harder series other than soft, but if they are soft we could actually see this happening.

All the tires 1-2 steps harder than current is almost unbelievable though. They really have no clue if that was their back up.
Of course they dont.

They have had absolutely not opportunity at all to test whether their tyres are right or not. They just have to make them and hope.

The teams are going to make their cars significantly faster at the end of the season than they were at rd 1. Yet Pirelli have to use the same tyres for both rounds.

We wouldn't expect any other part of an F1 car to be finalised before its ever tested with no opportunity to update it until next season.

Its a massive gamble and given the recent press, they will definitely err on the hard side.

SR71

mrluke wrote:
17 May 2017, 23:56
SR71 wrote:
17 May 2017, 02:06
I heard that Pirrelli had an alternative compound tire group waiting in the wings should the launch compounds had not worked out.

My guess is they are actually a harder series other than soft, but if they are soft we could actually see this happening.

All the tires 1-2 steps harder than current is almost unbelievable though. They really have no clue if that was their back up.
Of course they dont.

They have had absolutely not opportunity at all to test whether their tyres are right or not. They just have to make them and hope.

The teams are going to make their cars significantly faster at the end of the season than they were at rd 1. Yet Pirelli have to use the same tyres for both rounds.

We wouldn't expect any other part of an F1 car to be finalised before its ever tested with no opportunity to update it until next season.

Its a massive gamble and given the recent press, they will definitely err on the hard side.
Totally makes sense and the mandate was have tires that can be pushed.

TBH I have no problem with the tires this season - they are only a minor talking point which is the way it should be.

I've seen multiple world champions chase each other down and tires were not a major limiting factor - that's all I wanted from Pirelli.

Will be interesting to see how much more DF the teams slap on, especially next year.

Nickel

They're perfect. Including the Harder tires. It helps swing the balance of power between teams.

Wass85

They are far from perfect, you need a degree in unpredictability to try and understand how to switch them on.

zac510

So in that regard they're just the same as every other tyre developed.
There will never be a perfect tyre; some teams will work the tyre better than others and the teams that don't will blame the tyres not suiting their car. Then the tyre manufacturer gets blamed for making tyres that only 'work' on some cars. Repeat over for decades of seasons of F1.

marmer

what about a every team brings its own brand to a race and have a summer(harder, slow to heat lasts longer and poor in wet) and winter(softer quick to heat, poor length and better in wet) tyre made of on the road compounds. and a 3rd utrla wet for safety
would make f1 more road relevant

rules would still force two tyres to be used in race unless wet but tyres would be the same at every race it would be up to the teams which tyre they want to spend more time on

ESPImperium

I personally like the present compounds, apart from the hard, maybe it should be a compound that will not really run out, however is a compound that thermally degrades in the compound, meaning its a tyre that will help the slower teams go long in the race and pit for a set of softs with 3 laps to go in the race allowing them to run a single stop race. However the top teams with all their downforce would overheat the compound thermally, maybe even the sidewall, meaning that for them its unsuitable for them to run in the race.

However, i would like to see the amount of sets of tyres to the teams reduced by two for the weekend, id like to see 11 sets, 4 sets for a Friday, 2 for a Saturday morning, and then the rest for quality and the race (with the top 10 cars being given a free set of the softest available tyre for Q3) and then it means the top teams would be tyre limited in the race. Meaning that they would have zero or just one set of new tyres to run, making all the top guys a two or three stop race. However if you have a FP1 driver, then you would get a free set of the middle compound at that race for them alone, and that set can't be used in FP2.

Id even allow the guys who get knocked out in Q1 and those who start in the pits to be allowed not to run the two compound rule in the race. However if you qualify, you must go to your grid slot, if you pit after the recon lap, you would then have to follow the rules of your grid slot. Id even think about allowing the guys from Q2 to run the same compound in the race. However, these rules would need to be dry-tested in a

The tyres just need a few small tweaks for me, something to hurt the faster guys, but help the slower guys.

WaikeCU

I would say a 7-10 lap window tire and quickest compound there is.

marmer

Perhaps they could just bring each team 2 of every tyre to a race weekend plus 1 of team choice e.g Mercedes ultra, ultra, super, soft, medium, hard.

Practice 1 hard medium
Practice 2 hard soft
Practice 3 super, ultra
Q1- super new or used ultra
Q2- ultrasound new
Q3 - ultra new
Race - q2 ultra, super used or softs and then either new medium or hard

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Just_a_fan

marmer wrote:
18 May 2017, 10:45
tyre made of on the road compounds.
A road car compound wouldn't last five minutes on an F1 car. Probably wouldn't last a lap at qualifying or race pace.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

turbof1

In all honesty, I'd just make every dry weather tyre one or even two steps softer. For reference: back in 2010, Bridgestone softest tyre was the super soft, which it used 7 out of 19 races. Even though Bridgestone was in its final year and made the tyres generally quite hard, the super soft did not last very long when it was used. Pirelli's ultrasoft tyres will have with Monaco 3 out 6 races (with teams complaining in Barcelona they are driving too hard tyres and could probably have went for the ultra soft). Due the complaints from teams, it will look like the ultra soft will get even more prominent throughout the season.

You are basically looking now at a range of tyres where the hard tyre will never be used in a competitive situation, the medium tyre will only be used in a competitive situation when the teams are forced to and the soft tyre can run half race distances on even a high wear circuit like Barcelona, and will never be used if both the ultra and super soft tyres are present. Introduce a new separate hyper soft tyre will just make the hard and medium tyres further obsolete.

Just make the ultra soft and super soft tyres qualifying tyres, with a high performance but also high tyre wear pattern.
#AeroFrodo

krisfx

The_table wrote:
17 May 2017, 19:59
I'd argue that tyres are perfect this year...
I would too, I like that they all push a bit harder now

Sevach

Pirelli gave up on taking the hard to Silverstone that's a start.

turbof1

Sevach wrote:
18 May 2017, 14:49
Pirelli gave up on taking the hard to Silverstone that's a start.
A start would be to make it workable. It needs too much heat into it to switch it on and it's... too hard.

It's good there is a low degradation (degradation, not tyre wear) profile. However, the performance profile should be that at one point there's a cross over point where tyre wear puts the softer tyres on a slower pace than the harder tyres. The statistics topics points out for instance that both the soft tyre and medium tyre wear off with the same lineair function, meaning the soft tyre will always outperform the medium tyre for any given lap age if the medium tyre has the same lap age. The same should be true for the hard tyre as well. Worse even: if the tyre is not going to heat up properly, you'll create blisters and ruin the tyre, making the soft tyre actually the more durable tyre.

In my opinion, the current soft tyre should be the new hard tyre.
#AeroFrodo

PhillipM

I would have them just make an out-and-out qualifying tyre, and call it such (super and ultra soft were daft enough names to start with, without hyper! :D ).
Make last 5-6 laps and then drop off like the old tyres with a hard compound near the carcass - 1s a lap degradation say, perhaps by making the actual tread layer much thinner and lighter for some of the performance increase - that way they'd get thermal runaway too helping the sudden degradation onset, but they'd also switch on very fast which would help at the less abrasive tracks.
Then make it a 1.5s a lap faster than the rest.

Now, do you go to Q-tyres and get pole with a risky single storming lap, then have tyres with only 3 laps before massive degredation sets in to start the race on....or do you stick with the Ultra-Soft, let some of the slower guys in the FI's, Williams, etc, have their day of glory as they use Q's, then try to blow past them in the race as they drop off?
(Do you then find FI have done their usual trick and managed to somehow get them to last 36 laps...)

My alternative to that is just a soft that works, lets call it the M-Soft. It'll have a really wide operating window and be able to be leant on without issue, the colour scheme would be blue and yellow, and it could have this really cool logo of a little guy made out of tyres on the sidewall to help distinguish it...