2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

roon wrote:
26 May 2018, 09:20
I think numbering would be easier. Dots or bars on the tires indicating compound. One dot: hard. Five dot: soft. Etc.

Or just call them by a performance metric (surface hardness, friction value, etc.) and drop any use of scales or symbols. A "56 tire", a "214", what have you.

What's after sprint? Burst? Jerk? Fidget?
Tuning fork
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM

If they're intending on adding any more tyres to the range they want their heads checking. They could have a dedicated 'qualifying' tyre I suppose.

FPV GTHO

I dont think more tyres are on the agenda. Mario Isola was quoted as saying itll be back to 5-6 tyres next year.

Not that long ago the S-M-H had approx 1 second delta between each, whilst the S-SS-US were approx 0.5 second delta. With the hypersoft appearing about 1 second quicker than the ultrasoft, maybe they should look at 5 tyres with each step 1 second apart on pure pace.

GhostF1

godlameroso wrote:
26 May 2018, 14:50
PhillipM wrote:
26 May 2018, 09:14
I'm just gonna repost this...
https://i.imgur.com/rJyFe4E.jpg
Last year's ultra soft actually had good life, this year it's possibly the worst tire in the range.
I'd have to agree. Every team hasn't been fond of the Ultra's, I think on more than one occasion some teams were slower on them than the Supers.
Everyone loves the Hyper though.

Vanja #66

https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/02/pir ... -hamilton/

Pressure on Pirelli from Mercedes to bring special tyres on more races is being applied already. As expected.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

MtthsMlw

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 11:24

Pressure on Pirelli from Mercedes to bring special tyres on more races is being applied already. As expected.
What? Tyres that won't last the whole race distance? Imagine having to stop twice in the race and being rewarded if you build a car that is gentle to its tyres and showing your skill as a driver managing the tyres properly. Surely that's terrible. We want hypersofts which can do 70 laps with the ability to attack the driver in front which obviously never results in an overtake anyways.

Juzh

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 11:24

This is some next level hypocrisy from Hamilton, it has to be said. Let's not forget top 3 cars were doing PBs lap after lap all the way until the end, with kimi scoring FL on the final lap. Not only top 3 cars even, pretty much everyone other than Hamilton and Ric were on same old soft tires, racing each other with no problems (alonso, lecrec...).

Remember ferrari and their problems in Spain, they didn't cry for regular tires, they just went on with it. Same in France.

Sevach

Next year pick a tire construction and use it everywhere, this BS is wearing thin.

And either make the tires aggressive or safe, trying to make everyone happy is also BS.

Just_a_fan

If the tyre tread gauge causes a problem for some teams, what's to stop those teams "skimming" the tyres themselves? Is that against the rules? Also, why can't they just run a tyre in FP to take a bit of rubber off it and then race it as a thinner gauge tyre? Is this too simple an idea? I guess I'm missing something. :oops:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Sevach wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 15:30
Next year pick a tire construction and use it everywhere, this BS is wearing thin.

And either make the tires aggressive or safe, trying to make everyone happy is also BS.
Yeah, I'd go this route. If a choice of tyres is required, I'd say to Pirelli: "make a hard, a medium and a soft and use those the whole season". The drivers get 5 sets of each for the weekend or perhaps 2 sets of 7 of which ever two compounds they choose. That's it. So the teams might say "Silverstone needs harder tyres so we'll take 7 each of meduim and hard please" and that's it. Sure, there is possibly less chance of tyre strategy variation but we get little of that now anyway.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GrayGreat

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:35
If the tyre tread gauge causes a problem for some teams, what's to stop those teams "skimming" the tyres themselves? Is that against the rules? Also, why can't they just run a tyre in FP to take a bit of rubber off it and then race it as a thinner gauge tyre? Is this too simple an idea? I guess I'm missing something. :oops:
I guess if you run the tyre on track to make the tread thinner, the tyre will heat up in the process and may lose the characteristics of a 'new' tyre. So it will be different to a tyre that is originally of a thinner tread.

langwadt

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:35
a heat/cool cycles can do strange things to the tire, sometime good sometimes bad

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:41
Yeah, I'd go this route. If a choice of tyres is required, I'd say to Pirelli: "make a hard, a medium and a soft and use those the whole season". The drivers get 5 sets of each for the weekend or perhaps 2 sets of 7 of which ever two compounds they choose. That's it. So the teams might say "Silverstone needs harder tyres so we'll take 7 each of meduim and hard please" and that's it. Sure, there is possibly less chance of tyre strategy variation but we get little of that now anyway.
I'm Ok with choosing tires, but having to do it 8 or 14 weeks in advanced is utterly retarded. Imo, Pirelli should bring enough tires no matter what the teams choose, and the teams have to pick what they want by mid day Thursday.

I've wondered several times since the choosing rules went into effect how much money teams are wasting trying to predict what the weather will be that far in advance.
197 104 103 7

langwadt

dans79 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:41
I'm Ok with choosing tires, but having to do it 8 or 14 weeks in advanced is utterly retarded. Imo, Pirelli should bring enough tires no matter what the teams choose, and the teams have to pick what they want by mid day Thursday.

I've wondered several times since the choosing rules went into effect how much money teams are wasting trying to predict what the weather will be that far in advance.
vs. the crazy amount of production and transport capacity Pirelli would have to have to supply all teams with what ever number of tires from seven different compounds at a days notice

GrayGreat

How about let Mercedes (or any other team) use thinner tyres and others keep using the normal ones? So the teams could use what suits them?