2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
dans79

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

langwadt wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 17:19
vs. the crazy amount of production and transport capacity Pirelli would have to have to supply all teams with what ever number of tires from seven different compounds at a days notice
I'm not staying let the teams pick any of the 7 tires in the range, just from the ones Nominated by Pirelli.
197 104 103 7

Sevach

langwadt wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:35
If the tyre tread gauge causes a problem for some teams, what's to stop those teams "skimming" the tyres themselves? Is that against the rules? Also, why can't they just run a tyre in FP to take a bit of rubber off it and then race it as a thinner gauge tyre? Is this too simple an idea? I guess I'm missing something. :oops:
a heat/cool cycles can do strange things to the tire, sometime good sometimes bad
It usually makes them more consistent, it might kill them in terms of single lap pace however, which hurts your ability to undercut someone.

For Mercedes with considerable odds of a pole position i think it would help.

langwadt

dans79 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 17:49
langwadt wrote:
vs. the crazy amount of production and transport capacity Pirelli would have to have to supply all teams with what ever number of tires from seven different compounds at a days notice
I'm not staying let the teams pick any of the 7 tires in the range, just from the ones Nominated by Pirelli.
three type are nominated for each race so it would still be three times what they bring now

Just_a_fan

Sevach wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 18:02
langwadt wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:35
If the tyre tread gauge causes a problem for some teams, what's to stop those teams "skimming" the tyres themselves? Is that against the rules? Also, why can't they just run a tyre in FP to take a bit of rubber off it and then race it as a thinner gauge tyre? Is this too simple an idea? I guess I'm missing something. :oops:
a heat/cool cycles can do strange things to the tire, sometime good sometimes bad
It usually makes them more consistent, it might kill them in terms of single lap pace however, which hurts your ability to undercut someone.

For Mercedes with considerable odds of a pole position i think it would help.
That's sort of what I was wondering, I guess. They might lose a tenth or two of ultimate pace but if they can then run them significantly longer (or harder) then that might be a worthwhile compromise.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

langwadt wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 18:25
dans79 wrote:
langwadt wrote:
three type are nominated for each race so it would still be three times what they bring now
Yes, but they would have to bring more of each, because the teams wouldn't pick how many they wanted of each till Thursday.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 19:34
langwadt wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Yes, but they would have to bring more of each, because the teams wouldn't pick how many they wanted of each till Thursday.
Just bring one truckfull and give each team a set of joker cards. Say 2 sets per car per, usable 4 times a year, but must be picked from the truck. The truck would ofcourse have to be loaded sensibly. (Ah, I see the problem)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

langwadt

dans79 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 19:34
langwadt wrote:
dans79 wrote:

so they would have truck around 12 sets of each of the three compound for 20 cars, of which 2/3 will not be used and potentially have to call up the factory to order 250 tires at a weeks notice if the teams all pick the same

Morteza

Here's the full list of the tires nominated for the 2018 calendar
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NL_Fer

Just a thought, what would happen if Pirelli could increase the tyres operating temperature window? Teams would need to lean on a setup, which would work the tyres, to reach optimum qualification temps.

Also drivers are obligated to push every lap, to keep the tyres working and it would prevent them from saving tyrelife on a Q+10s laptime.

FPV GTHO

To an extent i believe the teams wi change their setups as such when the tyre blankets are banned, but the tyre supplier will also likely come halfway and produce tyres that heat up easier. Whether they also overheat easier remains to be seen.

adrianjordan

So I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this, but what is the point of the full wets?

Today I read comments such as, "it's too wet at the moment but it's nearly right for inters"....if it's nearly right for inters then surely the full wets should cope.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

JordanMugen

GrayGreat wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 17:25
How about let Mercedes (or any other team) use thinner tyres and others keep using the normal ones? So the teams could use what suits them?
That defeats the point of F1 having control tyres. Control tyres are all about the teams chasing the tyre, not the tyre chasing the teams. :wink:

shamyakovic

JordanMugen wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 11:18
GrayGreat wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 17:25
How about let Mercedes (or any other team) use thinner tyres and others keep using the normal ones? So the teams could use what suits them?
That defeats the point of F1 having control tyres. Control tyres are all about the teams chasing the tyre, not the tyre chasing the teams. :wink:
Why should be about tyres? Like engines, aero, brakes, suspension etc why don't the FIA allow custom tyres for each team within a set rules.? I have always wondered if the teams can make such a complicated machines from scratch why can't they also build their own tyre or at least hire a manufacturer and outsource their tyres.

Just_a_fan

One reason for control tyres is to be able to limit the cars' ultimate performance for safety reasons.

One problem with tyre wars is that whoever has the best tyre wins - we saw that in the early 2000s where Ferrari had bespoke Bridgestone tyres. If my supplier makes a tyre that's 1 second a lap quicker than your tyres are, then you're basically not going to win. No chance at all, no matter what else you try to do. Of course, you can only have such tyre wars if the teams and their suppliers are able to tyre test. That's a big cost issue that only favours the top teams, yet again.

Just_a_fan

According to Autosport, Pirelli will use the "thin tread" tyres all season next year.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13996 ... ce-in-2019