2018-2019 Tyre Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
zac510
39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by zac510 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:05 pm

One thing I was wondering about this tyre tread thickness we've had this year and 2019. Is the tyre made/moulded with the thinner tread depth, or is a normal tyre made and then 0.4mm shaved off of it?

What I'm getting at is, perhaps it's something the teams could have Pirelli do for them at the track. For example after Friday running a team might decide they prefer their remaining sets have a smaller tread depth. Could then a machine then take x mm off the tyres right there at the track? We'd have control tyres, but the teams would have a bit more ability to customise them to suit their needs.

WaikeCU
71
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by WaikeCU » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:54 am

Any chance Pirelli have changed the DNA of the tire compounds ever since the US GP?

Out of nowhere the Red Bull seems to be great with its tires, whereas Merc have become the tire eating monsters again and Ferrari also have been limited by tires.

Just_a_fan
432
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by Just_a_fan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am

They keep doing last minute pressure increases. Adding pressure reduces tyre grip. This plays in to RedBull's hands as they appear to have the most downforce and thus grip. Bear in mind also that RedBull stated that they had set up for the race, not for qualifying. That might just make the difference too.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools."

siskue2005
141
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by siskue2005 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 am

Just_a_fan wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am
They keep doing last minute pressure increases. Adding pressure reduces tyre grip. This plays in to RedBull's hands as they appear to have the most downforce and thus grip. Bear in mind also that RedBull stated that they had set up for the race, not for qualifying. That might just make the difference too.
why is this last minute changes be allowed? they should fix one range at the beginning of the weekend and stick to it unless someone has Major issues with tyres and that too with unanimous approval only.
i am starting to question the minimum tyre pressure and camber BS....scrap it F1 has survived without minimum tyre pressure for 50 years before. You dont hide your poor tyre with increaseing the pressure.......i sincerely hope Pirelli doesnot get the contract in 2020

henry
197
User avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:49 pm
Location: England

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by henry » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 am

These tyres are experiencing the hardest duty cycle ever. They encounter more downforce, more lateral load and more traction and braking forces than any before. How do I know this? Well, these are the heaviest formula1 cars in decades and they are still taking chunks out of lap records at every type of circuit.

On top of that Pirelli have been asked to make them “fragile”. And fragile in a particular way, degrading thermally without physical wear to prevent the build up of marbles.

It’s very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve. So it’s not surprising that they have struggled to make tyres that break lap records and last exactly a third of a race.

We have a term for this in the U.K. for this. It’s called having your cake and eating it.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Polite
-2
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:36 am

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by Polite » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 am

WaikeCU wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:54 am
Any chance Pirelli have changed the DNA of the tire compounds ever since the US GP?

Out of nowhere the Red Bull seems to be great with its tires, whereas Merc have become the tire eating monsters again and Ferrari also have been limited by tires.
I think Rbr have a new suspension system and their chassis is awesome.
Mercs dont use rims anymore = blistering and graining so less tyre wear.
Ferrari got rear blistering till the last step of the evo PU: it looks like they are managing traction worse.

Big Tea
52
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by Big Tea » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 pm

siskue2005 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 am
Just_a_fan wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am
They keep doing last minute pressure increases. Adding pressure reduces tyre grip. This plays in to RedBull's hands as they appear to have the most downforce and thus grip. Bear in mind also that RedBull stated that they had set up for the race, not for qualifying. That might just make the difference too.
why is this last minute changes be allowed? they should fix one range at the beginning of the weekend and stick to it unless someone has Major issues with tyres and that too with unanimous approval only.
i am starting to question the minimum tyre pressure and camber BS....scrap it F1 has survived without minimum tyre pressure for 50 years before. You dont hide your poor tyre with increaseing the pressure.......i sincerely hope Pirelli doesnot get the contract in 2020
More so when the teams have to specify the requirement 10 years in advance. ( well, Ok 3 months, but its still a long time )
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

zac510
39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by zac510 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am

siskue2005 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 am
Just_a_fan wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am
They keep doing last minute pressure increases. Adding pressure reduces tyre grip. This plays in to RedBull's hands as they appear to have the most downforce and thus grip. Bear in mind also that RedBull stated that they had set up for the race, not for qualifying. That might just make the difference too.
why is this last minute changes be allowed? they should fix one range at the beginning of the weekend and stick to it unless someone has Major issues with tyres and that too with unanimous approval only.
i am starting to question the minimum tyre pressure and camber BS....scrap it F1 has survived without minimum tyre pressure for 50 years before. You dont hide your poor tyre with increaseing the pressure.......i sincerely hope Pirelli doesnot get the contract in 2020
It's a PR thing. When the teams abuse the tyres they just blame Pirelli and all the fans backs the teams, PIrelli takes the fallout. They're still scarred after the 2013 Silverstone incidents, where the teams were running too low pressures, too high camber etc yet Pirelli got the blame for that weekend.

zokipirlo
2
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by zokipirlo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:49 am

zac510 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am
siskue2005 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 am
Just_a_fan wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am
They keep doing last minute pressure increases. Adding pressure reduces tyre grip. This plays in to RedBull's hands as they appear to have the most downforce and thus grip. Bear in mind also that RedBull stated that they had set up for the race, not for qualifying. That might just make the difference too.
why is this last minute changes be allowed? they should fix one range at the beginning of the weekend and stick to it unless someone has Major issues with tyres and that too with unanimous approval only.
i am starting to question the minimum tyre pressure and camber BS....scrap it F1 has survived without minimum tyre pressure for 50 years before. You dont hide your poor tyre with increaseing the pressure.......i sincerely hope Pirelli doesnot get the contract in 2020
It's a PR thing. When the teams abuse the tyres they just blame Pirelli and all the fans backs the teams, PIrelli takes the fallout. They're still scarred after the 2013 Silverstone incidents, where the teams were running too low pressures, too high camber etc yet Pirelli got the blame for that weekend.
Exactly, if Pirelli allow teams to do whatever they want, we will get Silverstone incidents. Pirelli is doing a great job, I hope they stay after 2020.

siskue2005
141
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by siskue2005 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:41 am

zokipirlo wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:49 am
zac510 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am
siskue2005 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 am


why is this last minute changes be allowed? they should fix one range at the beginning of the weekend and stick to it unless someone has Major issues with tyres and that too with unanimous approval only.
i am starting to question the minimum tyre pressure and camber BS....scrap it F1 has survived without minimum tyre pressure for 50 years before. You dont hide your poor tyre with increaseing the pressure.......i sincerely hope Pirelli doesnot get the contract in 2020
It's a PR thing. When the teams abuse the tyres they just blame Pirelli and all the fans backs the teams, PIrelli takes the fallout. They're still scarred after the 2013 Silverstone incidents, where the teams were running too low pressures, too high camber etc yet Pirelli got the blame for that weekend.
Exactly, if Pirelli allow teams to do whatever they want, we will get Silverstone incidents. Pirelli is doing a great job, I hope they stay after 2020.
so before 2013 Silverstone every race we had tyre blowout from every team? as teams were allowed to setup the tyres whatever way they wanted from like 1950 to 2013 silverstone?? frankly if they made proper tyres there wont be a need for these restrictions in the first place.

zac510
39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by zac510 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:01 pm

siskue2005 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:41 am
so before 2013 Silverstone every race we had tyre blowout from every team? as teams were allowed to setup the tyres whatever way they wanted from like 1950 to 2013 silverstone??
That is a fallacious argument. You obviously know the answer to your question is no and that does not invalidate zokipirlo and my argument.

Although tyre failures were more frequent in the 80s and 90s compared to this Pirelli era.

zokipirlo
2
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by zokipirlo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:41 pm

siskue2005 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:41 am
zokipirlo wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:49 am
zac510 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am


It's a PR thing. When the teams abuse the tyres they just blame Pirelli and all the fans backs the teams, PIrelli takes the fallout. They're still scarred after the 2013 Silverstone incidents, where the teams were running too low pressures, too high camber etc yet Pirelli got the blame for that weekend.
Exactly, if Pirelli allow teams to do whatever they want, we will get Silverstone incidents. Pirelli is doing a great job, I hope they stay after 2020.
so before 2013 Silverstone every race we had tyre blowout from every team? as teams were allowed to setup the tyres whatever way they wanted from like 1950 to 2013 silverstone?? frankly if they made proper tyres there wont be a need for these restrictions in the first place.
Don't forget that Bridgestone tyres were really hard, it could sometimes last multiple races according to races back them. Before that we had tyre war and every team worked more closely with tyre manufacturer and made it fit perfect for car. Can't compare that.

MtthsMlw
517
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm
Location: Germany

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by MtthsMlw » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:24 am

Pirelli until 2023

Tzk
17
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:49 am

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by Tzk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:13 pm

As expected. After liberty annouced that the new supplier would‘ve to supply 13“ tires for a single year this rouled out hankook and michelin...

I‘m unsure if liberty did this accidentally or not :x

FrukostScones
178
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: European Union

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

Post by FrukostScones » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:07 pm

5 more years of Cheeserelli madness ruining the racing. That is bad.
The combination of Pirelli ineptness and the wanted specs by liberty (lottery bubblegum cheese with stamina) keep me omging.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13753 ... f1-package
And lets hope those 18 '' wheels wont turn out too ugly in 2021. Arrrgh.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important. ...