2018 Tyre Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
zac510

Re: Design the Hyper-Soft tyre!

Post by zac510 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:13 am

Are you sure that with fixed compounds you won't end up with a locked in advantage, a'la Mercedes engine?

marmer

Post by marmer » Wed May 31, 2017 7:05 am

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 1:03 am
marmer wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:52 am
The only way to stop people moaning about the tyre is to have tyre war. Even then the tyre worse off will still be complained about

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
I think a tyre war is only possible if all the artificial constraints, such as "make a trye designed to degrade" are removed. It would be madness for two different companies to chase such a requirement without obvious differences in tyre performance.

In my view of the hypothetical tyre war, the new directive from FIA would be:

"make the fastest tyres that you can."
"Three compounds must be selected for each race."
The maximum number of compounds for the season is five (5)."
"The tyre compounds must not be altered over the course of the season unless approved by the FIA"

In this way.. even if the competing tyre companies make harder/softer sets it will average out over the year and track to track. On some tracks you just can't get away with a tyre that is too soft or too hard. After a while, just like the cars the performance will converge. And the cycle repeats and we end up back at one supplier again. lol
what about 2 brands
have dry inter and wet from each brand
5 of each for a race weekend
fia is given tyres at start of season and they give to the teams at each race old tyres may be used in practice.

have a built in update race every 5 races where teams can get new tyres again set must be given to the fia which will make sure none of the teams cheat

mertol

Post by mertol » Wed May 31, 2017 8:01 am

If they can't alter them during the season it's not really a war. And inevitably one of them will be slower and unable to catch up because of this.

DiogoBrand

Post by DiogoBrand » Wed May 31, 2017 1:46 pm

mertol wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:01 am
If they can't alter them during the season it's not really a war. And inevitably one of them will be slower and unable to catch up because of this.
Agreed.
Have you guys still not learned ANYTHING from the token system?

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Wed May 31, 2017 4:35 pm

mertol wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:01 am
Yeah. I just realized this! Yeah. updates must be allowed.
"Raindrops .. drop top!"

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:09 am

"Raindrops .. drop top!"

toraabe

Post by toraabe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:07 am

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:09 am
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... d-for-2018

Hypersoft is coming!
Remember the qualifying tyres. Lasting one lap.

jjn9128

Post by jjn9128 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:41 am

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:09 am
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... d-for-2018

Hypersoft is coming!
What next? The "really soft, honest" the "I can't believe it's not softer"? Just call them soft, medium and hard, group them for the teams so A or 1 onwards for the increasing hardness of the compound types.

Also the sixth compound sounds like some sort of cheap sci-fi / Dan Brown / masonic conspiracy.

marmer

Post by marmer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:31 am

still won't be soft enough. I want MEGA soft

Fulcrum

Post by Fulcrum » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Given tyre construction is fixed, and their performance is relatively stable this year, the only way I can think of to incentivise more pit stops, everything else remaining the same, would be to alter the pit lane speed limit such that the theoretical benefits of a 1-2 stop or 2-3 stop were similar.

Obviously speed limits are ultimately governed by safety standards, and I doubt this alternative would ever be considered, but it could be implemented in quite a dynamic way, with limits operating in a range from 80-110kph depending on the nature of the circuit, and the associated time penalty of making a stop. In this way, the strategy decision process wouldn't be as clear cut, especially if the FIA mandated speed limit for the race were set after qualifying.

Manoah2u

Post by Manoah2u » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Satin soft tires.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

Sevach

Post by Sevach » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:04 pm

When your hard tire has been deemed useless and the medium isn't getting much track time either i don't think more compounds is what's wrong with your range.

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:57 pm

They homologated ten compounds this year but chose 5 to be used. So next year there will be 6 to be used accross the campaign. An extra compound adds more ganularity. And would be what the engineers want and i think even the drivers would too.
"Raindrops .. drop top!"

ESPImperium

Post by ESPImperium » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Sevach wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:04 pm
When your hard tire has been deemed useless and the medium isn't getting much track time either i don't think more compounds is what's wrong with your range.
I totally agree. When the range is wrong, change the range, the range needs to be made two steps softer in my opinion. However, they need to do a couple of other changes for the construction as well, we need a compound that at the rear that has a larger contact patch to make it less peaky and much more forgiving when the limit of grip is exceeded so a driver can much more readily get the car back when the rear goes around.

However, i think that they cars are having a issue still in the post FRIC era, where the cars have a more peaky and less useable suspension setup window.

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 am

I want to see more sliding like what we had in 2008. Not sure how that can be engineered into the tyre though.
"Raindrops .. drop top!"