2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
zac510

Re: Design the Hyper-Soft tyre!

Are you sure that with fixed compounds you won't end up with a locked in advantage, a'la Mercedes engine?

marmer

PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 May 2017, 02:03
marmer wrote:
30 May 2017, 12:52
The only way to stop people moaning about the tyre is to have tyre war. Even then the tyre worse off will still be complained about

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
I think a tyre war is only possible if all the artificial constraints, such as "make a trye designed to degrade" are removed. It would be madness for two different companies to chase such a requirement without obvious differences in tyre performance.

In my view of the hypothetical tyre war, the new directive from FIA would be:

"make the fastest tyres that you can."
"Three compounds must be selected for each race."
The maximum number of compounds for the season is five (5)."
"The tyre compounds must not be altered over the course of the season unless approved by the FIA"

In this way.. even if the competing tyre companies make harder/softer sets it will average out over the year and track to track. On some tracks you just can't get away with a tyre that is too soft or too hard. After a while, just like the cars the performance will converge. And the cycle repeats and we end up back at one supplier again. lol
what about 2 brands
have dry inter and wet from each brand
5 of each for a race weekend
fia is given tyres at start of season and they give to the teams at each race old tyres may be used in practice.

have a built in update race every 5 races where teams can get new tyres again set must be given to the fia which will make sure none of the teams cheat

mertol

If they can't alter them during the season it's not really a war. And inevitably one of them will be slower and unable to catch up because of this.

DiogoBrand

mertol wrote:
31 May 2017, 09:01
If they can't alter them during the season it's not really a war. And inevitably one of them will be slower and unable to catch up because of this.
Agreed.
Have you guys still not learned ANYTHING from the token system?

PlatinumZealot

mertol wrote:
31 May 2017, 09:01
Yeah. I just realized this! Yeah. updates must be allowed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

toraabe

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 02:09
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... d-for-2018

Hypersoft is coming!
Remember the qualifying tyres. Lasting one lap.

jjn9128

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 02:09
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... d-for-2018

Hypersoft is coming!
What next? The "really soft, honest" the "I can't believe it's not softer"? Just call them soft, medium and hard, group them for the teams so A or 1 onwards for the increasing hardness of the compound types.

Also the sixth compound sounds like some sort of cheap sci-fi / Dan Brown / masonic conspiracy.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

marmer

still won't be soft enough. I want MEGA soft

Fulcrum

Given tyre construction is fixed, and their performance is relatively stable this year, the only way I can think of to incentivise more pit stops, everything else remaining the same, would be to alter the pit lane speed limit such that the theoretical benefits of a 1-2 stop or 2-3 stop were similar.

Obviously speed limits are ultimately governed by safety standards, and I doubt this alternative would ever be considered, but it could be implemented in quite a dynamic way, with limits operating in a range from 80-110kph depending on the nature of the circuit, and the associated time penalty of making a stop. In this way, the strategy decision process wouldn't be as clear cut, especially if the FIA mandated speed limit for the race were set after qualifying.

Manoah2u

Satin soft tires.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sevach

When your hard tire has been deemed useless and the medium isn't getting much track time either i don't think more compounds is what's wrong with your range.

PlatinumZealot

They homologated ten compounds this year but chose 5 to be used. So next year there will be 6 to be used accross the campaign. An extra compound adds more ganularity. And would be what the engineers want and i think even the drivers would too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ESPImperium

Sevach wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 15:04
When your hard tire has been deemed useless and the medium isn't getting much track time either i don't think more compounds is what's wrong with your range.
I totally agree. When the range is wrong, change the range, the range needs to be made two steps softer in my opinion. However, they need to do a couple of other changes for the construction as well, we need a compound that at the rear that has a larger contact patch to make it less peaky and much more forgiving when the limit of grip is exceeded so a driver can much more readily get the car back when the rear goes around.

However, i think that they cars are having a issue still in the post FRIC era, where the cars have a more peaky and less useable suspension setup window.

PlatinumZealot

I want to see more sliding like what we had in 2008. Not sure how that can be engineered into the tyre though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏