Suspension toe curves

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Suspension toe curves

Do these new 2017 cars use funky toe settings?

In this image you can see what I'm talking about, this is obviously toe wear, and a lot of cars showed this type of wear in Austria. It's common knowledge that toe can be used to put more heat in the tires, is that what's going on here, or is there something I'm missing?

Here's an example of toe wear on a road car tire
Saishū kōnā

waynes

Re: Suspension toe curves

i thought that was blistering? certainly thats what Brundle was saying on the Sky coverage

Heres Bottas rear

Tim.Wright

godlameroso wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 04:28
In this image you can see what I'm talking about, this is obviously toe wear
Obviously?

The second picture looks like wear due to camber. More specifically wear from excessive negative camber on a vehicle which does mainly highway/urban driving.

The first is blistering which is a function of everything. The complete tyre state including camber, vertical load, track temp and driving style.

Don't know how you can possibly narrow down this behaviour to being a funky toe setting. If I had to guess I'd say you could probably resolve it by lowering the camber but at a huge cost to performance.
Not the engineer at Force India

godlameroso

The second is guaranteed toe wear, usually this happens with worn control arm bushings which throws off toe. I've done enough alignments on cars to see it first hand. Anytime I see a car come in like this, there's something wrong with the suspension. I run 3 degrees of camber in one of my cars and it looks much more uniform although wear on the inside is higher.
Saishū kōnā

Tim.Wright

Worn bushings throw off more than just toe.
Not the engineer at Force India

godlameroso

True, but caster isn't a wear angle, and you'd have to be running ridiculous levels of camber to get wear like that. Hardly possible with MacPhereson struts most cars have.

Anyway back to f1 perhaps if it is blistering it's tire pressure related.
Saishū kōnā