Damp tyre compound

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marmer
marmer

Damp tyre compound

Just interested in the idea of a damp compound with more grip than the current inter and less sensitive to heat

Would anyone think its possible and benefit the sport

SiLo

Re: Damp tyre compound

I don't think so. I think we have too many tyre types as it is.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Didn't Michelin develop a "wet slick" for the WEC (or similar)? No tread grooves but the compound continued to work well on damp/wet tarmac.

I quite like the need to use a different tyre - the timing of the swap to an inter or to a dry tyre can make the race and we see certain drivers excel in changeable conditions.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:14
Didn't Michelin develop a "wet slick" for the WEC (or similar)? No tread grooves but the compound continued to work well on damp/wet tarmac.

I quite like the need to use a different tyre - the timing of the swap to an inter or to a dry tyre can make the race and we see certain drivers excel in changeable conditions.
I think the time spent in the pit lane to just change them over for 1-2 laps until the track dies out from the warmth of the inters/slicks etc just wouldn't be worth the gain :?
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vyssion wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 15:42

I think the time spent in the pit lane to just change them over for 1-2 laps until the track dies out from the warmth of the inters/slicks etc just wouldn't be worth the gain :?
I meant that I quite like the current dry / inter / wet system. The "damp" tyre sounds good if it's going to be light rain for a period but it would need to effectively be a replacement for the inter not in addition to it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 15:47
Vyssion wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 15:42

I meant that I quite like the current dry / inter / wet system. The "damp" tyre sounds good if it's going to be light rain for a period but it would need to effectively be a replacement for the inter not in addition to it.
Ah fair enough... I think though that the wets actually decay into semi-decent slicks for a few laps when conditions dry up also though... Idk.. we have like what? 8 tyre compounds or something now? Do we REALLY need another one? :lol:
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

TVirus72
TVirus72

Just sounds like more expense for the teams when intermediates do the job

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk