FIA trying to ban exhaust blowing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
gargour87

FIA trying to ban exhaust blowing

Can anyone explain to me why FIA always tries to ban clever design ideas.
why is it illegal to blow gases to the rear wing.

santos

Re: FIA trying to ban exhaust blowing

gargour87 wrote:
09 May 2018, 14:49
Well, i think it is for economical reasons. A few years ago, red bull developed the blown diffuser. That forced all the teams to develop something of the same kind and spent tons of Money into that. But red bull had the advantage. So i think they ban all this tricks, to keep the teams at the same level... well at least they try.

gargour87

FIA must not stop smart innovations. if you don't have the budget to design such a system just don't design them.

graham.reeds

Because millions are spent on these ideas which have no relevance to road cars.

FrukostScones

gargour87 wrote:
looke here:
https://www.f1technical.net/news/16479

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10055
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Rodak

graham.reeds wrote:
09 May 2018, 16:01
Because millions are spent on these ideas which have no relevance to road cars.
If that were the design criteria requirement we should get rid of wings. Really, F1 rules are so restrictive the cars are being forced into a single mold; a cost cap with more open rules is probably the only solution.

Phil

gargour87 wrote:
Because there's a difference between "clever design ideas" and ideas that exploit areas of the sport that are unintended and unwanted. Obviously, F1 is heavily regulated. If there weren't any regulations at all, you'd have very different looking cars because the scope of innovation would be far too great. The difference between those that get it right and those that don't would be huge. So big, that those that are ahead would have a huge advantage and those that are behind, would never recover: they would lack the money, the time and perhaps even the resources to ever catch up.

Arguably, this has happened with the power-units. Mercedes got it "right" from the beginning and had a sizeable advantage that has carried them from 2014 until this year, with only Ferrari rivaling them at the moment. Honda and Renault have always been on the back foot, and that's despite all the regulations on the power unit that should have limited the larger variances between these engines at least to the point that in theory, they should have all come out with similar performance.

All regulations in place are to limit the scope on where that development takes place, to give those with less resources a chance to focus on the intended areas. Obviously, even with the strictest regulations in place, there will always be areas where teams exploit performance through ingenuity. Some of these areas may be used, some may be banned (or re clarified) at the discretion of the rule-maker.

Every time a team does invest into areas that they know could be deemed against the intention of the rules, they know it. They risk it knowingly at the risk that a competing team who might get wind of it might get that area clarified and possibly banned mid season. There are many examples of this: the 2nd oil tank Ferrari had been using, the FRIC suspension design, using hydraulic suspenion devices, flexi front-wings, oil burning, F-duct, double diffusor, exhaust blowing etc.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter