Rim fairings

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
GM7

Rim fairings

During the years 2008 and 2009 there was rim fairings like these ones :

First, what was the aerodynamic goal of these fairings ?

Secondly, in the case of 2021 where we want to reduce turbulences to the car behind, could it be a step forward ?

McMrocks

Re: Rim fairings

They were rather expensive, which is a no-go in todays F1. More expensive than we can imagine those little pieces to be. Furthermore the covers where changed by using two wheel guns at the pitstops. That worked well with 8sec pit stops but wouldn't work with pit stops sub 2sec.

But it would be interesting to see the teams decide between a tenth of lap time vs a 2sec gain at every pit stop.

McMrocks

And now i searched for numbers regarding the costs. Didnt find any but i found this:
We reported earlier this year that the devices, having first emerged last year, were likely to be banned for 2010 because they make it even harder for following cars to overtake.

Williams' technical chief Sam Michael said in July that studies have shown that the covers have "quite an adverse effect on the following car".
https://www.motor1.com/news/18048/f1-wh ... 10-report/

PhillipM

It was nothing to do with costs, they're were cheap enough for the performance they brung, that was all that mattered.

michl420

They were banned for aestetic reasons. Would they make it easier to follow a car? I would guess no.