Is it time to add cooling fans?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Zynerji

Re: Is it time to add cooling fans?

dans79 wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 02:41
A far simpler solution would be to regulate the size, shape and placement of the side pod intakes, or have a mandated cooling capacity test. The prior would be simpler to implement but would limit development, the later would be more complex to regulate but would offer greater design freedom.
And neither would solve overheating when following a car...

AJI
AJI

PhillipM wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 19:18
It wouldn't change anything for cooling, they'd still run right on the edge and overheat in traffic.
I've twin 16" (400mm) fans on my car and they create more blockage than they help with above about 80mph.
MGU-A!

I'm joking, before anyone gets too excited...

Zynerji

AJI wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 05:10
PhillipM wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 19:18
It wouldn't change anything for cooling, they'd still run right on the edge and overheat in traffic.
I've twin 16" (400mm) fans on my car and they create more blockage than they help with above about 80mph.
MGU-A!

I'm joking, before anyone gets too excited...
Im a bit under the influence at the moment, and wish I got the joke... What is the A for?

Oh, air driven recovery... lol

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 04:50
And neither would solve overheating when following a car...
Yea, it would! From your response it seems like you don't fully understand the issue. The reason why they have cooling issues when following, is because the cars are designed to minimize the aero effects of the inlets and side pods while providing just enough cooling when running in a free flow.

They are designed this way because their are very few regulations related to cooling, so the teams will do everything they can to maximize performance. Not to mention the current formula is heavily skewed towards achieving the best possible qualifying position, where cooling is not of much concern.

Mandating cooling requirements, and limitations on location and dimension would mean the teams couldn't sacrifice cooling for performance as they are now. It's no different than the new front wing rules for next year, The rules will prevent teams from developing wings that are highly efficient but very sensitive to disturbed air. Proper cooling rules would negate the trailing cars from having cooling issues, and allow for the trailing car to follow closer. however, just like the new front wings it would yield slower cars as well.
197 104 103 7

Zynerji

I see your point. If that was the only way to solve it, I would be OK with it.

I would prefer a solution that doesn't slow them down tho.

Can you think of any way other than this? Even as a moonshot idea?

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 14:45
Can you think of any way other than this? Even as a moonshot idea?
No matter what you do, you are going to slow them down. However if the FIA allowed active suspension and ground effects, the could probably claw the losses back and probably even gain some.
197 104 103 7