2022 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
JordanMugen

Re: 18-inch wheels to be introduced in 2021.

Youhavebeendunn wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 01:28
I couldn't find a relevant thread for this, I'm surprised no one pointed out the weird endplates on the Renault. We're they like this last year ?
Yes. To comply with minimum thickness rule for endplate. I didn't understand the design myself, as there were hardly any gaps left between the vanes due to the minimum thickness.

JordanMugen

In hindsight, the tiny 13" wheels look positively ridiculous:

In 1999, a base model Toyota Corolla came with 13" wheels (13" x 5" wide to be precise). Yet, now in 2019 even a base model Corolla comes with 16" wheels (16" x 6.5" to be precise).

The era when the 1940's Austin Seven with it's "old-fashioned" 17" wheels was replaced by the "more modern" 1950's Morris Minor with it's 14" wheels, is now long past. Bigger rather than smaller wheels are now the automotive norm...

Using 13" wheels in F1 is positively absurd! :roll:

Just_a_fan

I, for one, will miss the old 13" deep sidewall tyres when they're gone. The move is aesthetic populism, nothing more. Bah humbug! :evil:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FW17

I always thought it were these small wheels which made them fast with grippy tyres and be so light

Didn't realize it was a problem till the mass damper scandal of 2006

JordanMugen

The 18" prototype tyres look wonderful.. It seems Pirelli have chosen a relatively narrow tread width relative to the nominal width, and there the tyre appears slightly stretched on the rim, as is the modern fashion.

It is a shame the wheels will be covered. Ironically, the OZ 18" F1 wheels look a bit like the iconic Turini wheels from rival wheel manufacturer Speedline.

The wheels will be a control part if I understand right? No more Apptech, Enkei, BBS or Rays wheels in F1 (albeit the latter two have quit long ago AFAIK), which is a shame. Most of the teams are currently supplied by OZ anyway, and removing the wheels as an avenue for aerodynamic / tyre temperature development is prudent.

izzy

JordanMugen wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 15:17
The 18" prototype tyres look wonderful.. It seems Pirelli have chosen a relatively narrow tread width relative to the nominal width, and there the tyre appears slightly stretched on the rim, as is the modern fashion.

https://i.imgur.com/ovMvxvl.jpg

It is a shame the wheels will be covered. Ironically, the OZ 18" F1 wheels look a bit like the iconic Turini wheels from rival wheel manufacturer Speedline.

The wheels will be a control part if I understand right? No more Apptech, Enkei, BBS or Rays wheels in F1 (albeit the latter two have quit long ago AFAIK), which is a shame. Most of the teams are currently supplied by OZ anyway, and removing the wheels as an avenue for aerodynamic / tyre temperature development is prudent.
They look miles better don't they. I hope it's not a spec wheel, the Merc wheel is so clever, tho i reckon the others have caught up now, but still teams are already talking about the 2021 car being too prescribed

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 15:17
The stretched tyre is only a fashion amongst a small minority. It's a potentially dangerous fashion too, in extreme cases.

I wouldn't say the tyre on the Pirelli test mule is stretched, it just has almost zero side wall bulge.

And I still don't like them. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

FW17 wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 09:43
I always thought it were these small wheels which made them fast with grippy tyres and be so light

Didn't realize it was a problem till the mass damper scandal of 2006
More road relevant tech banned instead of shared. Pitiful.

Scorpaguy

...they do look a wee bit stretched to me as well, certainly not to the extreme of the stance crowd. However the current tyre/wheel combo also appears a bit stretched (with the tread width seeming to be a tiny bit narrower than the wheel). May just be an optical illusion.

Not sure if the air pressures will be changing as well, but I would have thought the suspension engineers would have lobbied for less stretch/more convex sidewalls to impart some suspending qualities. Who knows, maybe this combo will introduce a bit of cornering drift :shock:

Tommy Cookers

Scorpaguy wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:19
.... Not sure if the air pressures will be changing as well, but I would have thought the suspension engineers would have lobbied for less stretch/more convex sidewalls to impart some suspending qualities. Who knows, maybe this combo will introduce a bit of cornering drift
trying to agree but seem to have failed ..... imo ....

drift that was for decades called four-wheel drift was substantially due to (yaw plane) tyre distortion when cornering
ie the contact patch not pointing where the wheel is pointing

this distortion is substantially related to aspect ratio ie carcass width : height - (and to pressure of course)
and to other aspects of carcass design - ie the reason that historics drift less now than they did when current
distortion being the enemy of design for cornering even the new F1 tyre design won't show much drift

shame most people today think a powerslide is a drift

FW17

With the new low profile tyres will teams be allowed to fit Run Flat inserts?

izzy

FW17 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 12:34
there will be a lot less sidewall to get punctured won't there, now you mention it

FW17

izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 12:38
FW17 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 12:34
there will be a lot less sidewall to get punctured won't there, now you mention it
And whatever is left is going to be quiet soft

izzy

FW17 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:18
izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 12:38
And whatever is left is going to be quiet soft
yes i don't know. Teams are going to have to design like 2x the suspension travel anyway, so Pirelli can probably do the carcass how they like and tell teams to make it work bambini! :D

But does the wheel rim now come down to the height of the top of the fw endplate? if it does that could make a lot of difference for punctures too, especially if the tyres are stretched and don't bulge out

Scorpaguy

Tommy Cookers wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 09:15

shame most people today think a powerslide is a drift
...while technically you may correct in that the proper names for the series should be "Formula Powerslide" and "P1 GP", there is plenty of drifting at such events, albeit most often in conjunction with powerslides. IMHO