2022 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Just_a_fan

Re: 18-inch wheels to be introduced in 2021.

izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:49
FW17 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:18
izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 12:38
there will be a lot less sidewall to get punctured won't there, now you mention it
And whatever is left is going to be quiet soft
yes i don't know. Teams are going to have to design like 2x the suspension travel anyway, so Pirelli can probably do the carcass how they like and tell teams to make it work bambini! :D

But does the wheel rim now come down to the height of the top of the fw endplate? if it does that could make a lot of difference for punctures too, especially if the tyres are stretched and don't bulge out
It'll be interesting to see how the tyres deal with kerbs etc. A deep sidewall gives good kerb-riding ability. Will the trendy-tyres mean the drivers use less kerb? What happens where other series use trendy-tyres?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

rscsr

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:00
izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:49
FW17 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:18

And whatever is left is going to be quiet soft
yes i don't know. Teams are going to have to design like 2x the suspension travel anyway, so Pirelli can probably do the carcass how they like and tell teams to make it work bambini! :D

But does the wheel rim now come down to the height of the top of the fw endplate? if it does that could make a lot of difference for punctures too, especially if the tyres are stretched and don't bulge out
It'll be interesting to see how the tyres deal with kerbs etc. A deep sidewall gives good kerb-riding ability. Will the trendy-tyres mean the drivers use less kerb? What happens where other series use trendy-tyres?
curbs are pretty much flat anyway. And I would say it depends more on aero than the tyres.

Just_a_fan

rscsr wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:32

curbs are pretty much flat anyway. And I would say it depends more on aero than the tyres.
The yellow and orange varieties certainly aren't. The current tyres can ride one of those to a degree. I'd guess the trendy-tyres absolutely will not want to be run up against one. This is a good thing, in terms of stopping drivers going off track, but could lead to issues with an unintentional run over a kerb.

I guess time will tell.

izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
Damping baby! the landing will be silky smooth instead of bouncing around for the next 10s. But anyway young people today are way too cool to be upset by kerbs!! :P

rscsr

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:38
rscsr wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:32

The yellow and orange varieties certainly aren't. The current tyres can ride one of those to a degree. I'd guess the trendy-tyres absolutely will not want to be run up against one. This is a good thing, in terms of stopping drivers going off track, but could lead to issues with an unintentional run over a kerb.

I guess time will tell.
Check the Supercar Championship out. They have little aero, low profile tyres and practically don't care about how high the curbs are.

And F1 cars don't ride the orange curbs at all. I don't think I have seen any car using the orange curbs in Monza at all when on a fast lap.

FW17

Just_a_fan

Will low profile tyres require the suspension to be stronger? Currently, the tyre absorbs a chunk of impact energy but with trendy-tyres, the loads will be more directly experienced by the push rods etc. I don't doubt that it'll only be a small change, but presumably one will be required.

henry

izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 17:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
Damping baby! the landing will be silky smooth instead of bouncing around for the next 10s. But anyway young people today are way too cool to be upset by kerbs!! :P
I don’t think they bounce around. They used to, but since the advent of inerters the remote control of the undamped tyre deflections has improved considerably.

I’m with @Just_a_fan. I think kerb riding, and traction, may be worse. Personally I think that’s a good thing, I’d like the racing to be on the track and not an extra 2metres.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 17:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
There's nothing silky smooth about trendy-tyres, that's rather the point made earlier in the thread. And we're not talking about young people, we're talking about racing drivers who would cut off your arm to be a tenth quicker. If taking the kerb is quicker, they'll take it - cool or otherwise.

Just_a_fan

I'll be interested to see how long it takes drivers to get used to the trendy-tyres. Most will have raced on tall tyres for most/all of their careers - even back in karting. I know these guys learn very quickly, but I bet there are some interesting moments where the tyres don't behave as they expect them to.

izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 19:12
There's nothing silky smooth about trendy-tyres, that's rather the point made earlier in the thread. And we're not talking about young people, we're talking about racing drivers who would cut off your arm to be a tenth quicker. If taking the kerb is quicker, they'll take it - cool or otherwise.
damping is smooth, unlike bouncy balloon tyres :mrgreen:

but yes as you say in the other post the dampers will have to be mounted to take bigger loads won't they

izzy

henry wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 19:11
I don’t think they bounce around. They used to, but since the advent of inerters the remote control of the undamped tyre deflections has improved considerably.

I’m with @Just_a_fan. I think kerb riding, and traction, may be worse. Personally I think that’s a good thing, I’d like the racing to be on the track and not an extra 2metres.
i think they bounce and squirm quite noticeably, rippling sidewalls, even if it used to be worse. yes there'll be more unsprung weight being moved upwards but it's better controlled. They can have less bump resistance at the top of the travel kinda thing, they can apply the same cleverness to the suspension, and then when they land there's a shorter path between the grip and the solid parts of the car. The landings are a big part of it and they'll be better. so i think they'll abuse the kerbs just as much

But anyway as you say it doesn't really fly as an objection. If they're not able to ride kerbs as well it's a good thing. But the engineering is a lot better with a short sidewall so I'm expecting a wholesale improvement in the capability of the cars

henry

izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:01
henry wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 19:11

i think they bounce and squirm quite noticeably, rippling sidewalls, even if it used to be worse. yes there'll be more unsprung weight being moved upwards but it's better controlled. They can have less bump resistance at the top of the travel kinda thing, they can apply the same cleverness to the suspension, and then when they land there's a shorter path between the grip and the solid parts of the car. The landings are a big part of it and they'll be better. so i think they'll abuse the kerbs just as much

But anyway as you say it doesn't really fly as an objection. If they're not able to ride kerbs as well it's a good thing. But the engineering is a lot better with a short sidewall so I'm expecting a wholesale improvement in the capability of the cars
IMHO it’s the rippling sidewalls that allow them to ride the kerbs. The tyres conform to the kerbs keeping maximum contact patch.

If kerb riding is an issue my guess is they make the kerbs easier. After all 2021 is going to be all about appearance. Beautiful people watching beautiful cars making beautiful money.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

izzy

henry wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:13
IMHO it’s the rippling sidewalls that allow them to ride the kerbs. The tyres conform to the kerbs keeping maximum contact patch.

If kerb riding is an issue my guess is they make the kerbs easier. After all 2021 is going to be all about appearance. Beautiful people watching beautiful cars making beautiful money.
yes I see what you mean, it's conforming versus control. well we've placed our bets, let's see :)

And yes appearance and spec-ish, that front wing article on racefans :evil: . tho the floor aero work is awesome, on the upside. And Ferrari have that veto and i do believe they don't want spec

JordanMugen

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:48
The stretched tyre is only a fashion amongst a small minority.
A small minority of car manufacturers and their original fitment tyres? :wink: