2022 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tim.Wright

Re: 18-inch wheels to be introduced in 2021.

mzso wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 18:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 18:29
I guess you could make the wheels from the same material as the brakes
Tim.Wright wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 18:33
There is a significant weight/inertia benefit.
Wheels from brake disk material? :) They're not designed to bear mechanical loads, other than their own rotating weight.
I'm quite sure it's not viable as wheel material.
No I meant using more traditional woven fabrics. This company have been at it for around 15 years:
https://www.carbonrev.com/

I have to disagree that brakes don't bear mechanical loads. That's their main job. A rough calc puts the braking torque they have to generate at 5G at about 5000 Nm or about 2.5 Tonnes of friction force at the pad interface.

High temp resins are also available to help the wheels survive around the brakes.

The only reason carbon is not used for the wheels is the rules. And the rules were set to reduce the costs. There were a list of parts around the year 2012 (I don't remember exactly) which were perscribed a mandatory material type, minimum mass density and maximum Young's modulus. This all but forced the material to be some type of aluminium.

There are no technical barriers to using carbon fibre for wheels these days.
Not the engineer at Force India

henry

mzso wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:14
henry wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 13:42
Not necessarily if they have higher mass and rotational inertia. That’s another thing that’s “worse” about the 18” solution. The actual mass will be higher reducing performance in all planes, and the referred mass, from the rotational inertia, will reduce performance in acceleration and braking.
Is the mass necessarily greater? The forces are exactly the same, the wheel only needs to expand into a slightly larger volume. And even that is taken away from the sidewall which becomes less and also needs to be less strong.

By the way. Why are they still using metal wheels, instead of composites?
The wheel flange, rim and the tyre bead will be about 40% longer, the well profile a little less. Assuming similar sections the mass will increase in the same proportions. The tyre tread will and shoulder be about 10% heavier. The spokes will be around 50mm longer. The sidewalls will be similarly longer but shallower so maybe a little saving there. Overall I would expect the wheel/tyre assembly to be considerably heavier.

The rotational inertia will also increase but by the square of the change in diameter rather than linearly.

Back when the 18” wheels were first proposed I did a rough calculation of the mass and inertias of the 13” and 18” wheels. The mass went up about 2.5kg each wheel, these were the old narrow wheels.

The inertia change is even more significant. Based on my old calcs I tend to add 60kg to the car mass when calculating acceleration or braking to account for the rotational inertia. For the 18” wheels I expect this to nearly double, say 100kg. With the increase in regulated mass the cars will appear to be about almost 10% heavier than now.

In the 2022 regulations 18” tyres the cars are specified to be 33kg heavier, 5kg is the PU. I think much of the rest is the new wheels and tyre. Extra weight training for the tyre change crews.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Holm86

Morteza

Ocon and Alonso testing for Alpine

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Holm86

I think the 18's look good. Just too bad they'll be hidden behind some aero discs ...

jjn9128

More shots of the Mercedes testing. IMO the rims don't look too bad but the tyre look oversized, especially in the side profile. I find the same thing with the F2.

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

JordanMugen

jjn9128 wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 15:26
More shots of the Mercedes testing. IMO the rims don't look too bad but the tyre look oversized, especially in the side profile. I find the same thing with the F2.

Is that a different wheel design to what we saw earlier (or in F2)?

Alpine still using the old design. I notice the Mercedes wheels do not have branding on them, are they even OZ wheels at all? Or is Mercedes the finalised OZ control wheel design, a newer iteration than that on the Alpine?

I guess the wheel design doesn't matter for aesthetics given it will be covered anyway. :shock:

Spacepace

jjn9128 wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzasYzdUYAU ... ame=medium

The rears look fine but the front tyres look oversized

jjn9128

JordanMugen wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 16:45
Is that a different wheel design to what we saw earlier (or in F2)?

Alpine still using the old design. I notice the Mercedes wheels do not have branding on them, are they even OZ wheels at all? Or is Mercedes the finalised OZ control wheel design, a newer iteration than that on the Alpine?

I guess the wheel design doesn't matter for aesthetics given it will be covered anyway. :shock:
Looks different to the wheels Ferrari used. I think the wheels are going to pretty much be spec though.

EDIT: Wheels will be spec
10.7.4 Supply of wheel rims
In accordance with the provisions of Article 17.4, the FIA will appoint a standard supplier for wheel rims and the Competitors will be required to use these rims.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

cheeRS
cheeRS

jjn9128 wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzasYzdUYAU ... ame=medium

I think the tires look perfect. Similar to the LMP1 look from years past.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

Jolle
Jolle

I think the W10 looks even more menacing with those rims that with the current balloons. Somehow the car looks even lower and wider. I love it!

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Jolle wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 00:40
I think the W10 looks even more menacing with those rims that with the current balloons. Somehow the car looks even lower and wider. I love it!
I have to agree, the new rims and black make it look even better than I remember it.

It certainly looks better black than pink lol

Jolle
Jolle

Marty_Y wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 00:49
Jolle wrote:
I have to agree, the new rims and black make it look even better than I remember it.

Just imagine you’re a young lad, having a good weekend. Party on Saturday and a comfortable drive of around 300 km on Sunday to get some drinks with mates. Before you take off you chug some energy drink and off you go. When you’re about an hour in, you look in your rear view mirror and just like a scene from the first mad max movie this gloss black pursuit special is on your tail. Instead of the supercharger you dread the moment the rear wing opens up...

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Jolle wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 01:06
Marty_Y wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 00:49
Jolle wrote:

Just imagine you’re a young lad, having a good weekend. Party on Saturday and a comfortable drive of around 300 km on Sunday to get some drinks with mates. Before you take off you chug some energy drink and off you go. When you’re about an hour in, you look in your rear view mirror and just like a scene from the first mad max movie this gloss black pursuit special is on your tail. Instead of the supercharger you dread the moment the rear wing opens up...
:lol:

Blackout

jjn9128 wrote:
@AlbertFabrega
Did Mercedes and the others build specific, bigger diameter, wheel drums for these wheels or do they simply close the gap between the hub and the rim (on the inside face)?