CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Vyssion
267
User avatar
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by Vyssion » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:09 am

Next update.

jjn and I have spent some time CADing and CFDing some of our own 2019 wings. Having exhausted the Perrinn model, we are now starting to slowly rebuild bits of it in the hopes of having our "own" F1 car model eventually. The FW has been deliberately kept not "too" aggressive in order to focus more on the outwash generation with representative strakes and endplates, whilst the RW still currently has the 2018-modified endplates (still 2019 legal) but with custom main plain and flap with centre attachment. The changes which were made by modifying the 2018 spec to the 2019 essentially saw reduced down and outwash behind the front tyres, along with quite a substantial shift in aero-balance towards the rear. As such, the current setting angles and the like are aimed at exploring the 2019 spec in CFD whilst trying to offset some of that rearward shift. (note, this will be covered in an article we've also written to be released shortly!!)

My meshing process I think is kind of beginning to get robust enough to decrease the turn around time required for new CAD to be meshed... with all the simplifications and "hacks" I'm having to do in order to not blow up my home computer, it has been very tempramental as to whether it will generate or not... hence any robustness in the process is a welcomed sight!! Typical convergence residuals are also improving slightly as we go which, once again, is all good news.

Finally, from here, Vanja is going to be joining in on the project and will be looking at creating some different bargeboards and/or floor as his first contribution. These images still have the standard Perrinn parts for that, however, hopefully as time goes on, more and more of this model will appear in various colours and replace the grey bits.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

Vyssion
267
User avatar
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by Vyssion » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi all,

As mentioned earlier, here is our new article going through some of the findings that jjn and I have seen with the 2018 vs. our 2018-modification to 2019 spec wings on the Perrinn baseline model.

Please give it a read, and let us know what you think!!

(p.s. 2019 Vyssion-jjn wings have been CFD'd at 0° gust; just waiting on 4° gust now before we release those pictures and gifs to you all :wink: ... stay tuned!!)

https://www.f1technical.net/features/21995

Image
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

Vyssion
267
User avatar
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by Vyssion » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Okay...

Next update is the purple winged 2019 of jjn and my design. The new front wing model is relatively simple and probably is more closely related to the pre-season Torro-Rosso wing than the Alfa Romeo or Ferrari designs, but hey... it's our first go at it. The new endplates have a small cut out at the rear corner similar to that of the rear wing in order to reduce the primary endplate vortex strength. Downforce of the FW is lower than the 2018-Modified-to-2019 car that I showed just above, however, it is still higher than that of the 2018 car. The rear wing had its tips blended out in an effort to reduce some of that drag at the cost of some downforce, which it did manage to do - about a 5% loss in CzS for a 17% drop in CxS (overall, both still higher than the 2018 model we did in the past). You can definitely see how the different the "aerodynamic width" of the car is compared to the earlier 2018 car due to losing so much of the down- and out-wash (Some of that is, of course, due to us only being a 2-man team instead of a 1,000-man team).

I wont go too much into it as there is another article that jjn and I have written up about all this which should go live somewhat soon, but here is the 0° yaw case images for you to see and compare.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

Vyssion
267
User avatar
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by Vyssion » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:12 pm

And the GIFs -- Always the best part of these simulations :wink:

Image
Image
Image
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

SmallSoldier
77
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by SmallSoldier » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:47 pm

Vyssion wrote:And the GIFs -- Always the best part of these simulations :wink:

Image
Image
Image
This is amazing and one of the coolest things I have ever seeing... Great job!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjn9128
209
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by jjn9128 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:45 am

As Vyssion mentioned the latest analysis of this 2019 car aerodynamics, on the the aerodynamic effect of the Alfa / Ferrari style front wing is now live.

Let us know what you think. We've gone gif mad in this article which I personally think makes comparing the cases much easier.
#aerogandalf

dren
275
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by dren » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:00 pm

jjn9128 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:45 am
As Vyssion mentioned the latest analysis of this 2019 car aerodynamics, on the the aerodynamic effect of the Alfa / Ferrari style front wing is now live.

Let us know what you think. We've gone gif mad in this article which I personally think makes comparing the cases much easier.
The gifs aren't working in the article posted. They do work in this thread, so I don't think it's my browser.
Honda!

turbof1
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by turbof1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 pm

dren wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:00 pm
jjn9128 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:45 am
As Vyssion mentioned the latest analysis of this 2019 car aerodynamics, on the the aerodynamic effect of the Alfa / Ferrari style front wing is now live.

Let us know what you think. We've gone gif mad in this article which I personally think makes comparing the cases much easier.
The gifs aren't working in the article posted. They do work in this thread, so I don't think it's my browser.
There is a 3s delay between each frame of the gif (they aren't video-like gifs as we focused on a key frame of the 2018/2019-01/2019-02 models). We did this so that people have a bit of time to capture what they are seeing. So the gifs basically cycle through 3 key frames, once every 3 seconds.
#AeroFrodo

dren
275
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by dren » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:08 pm

turbof1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 pm
dren wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:00 pm
jjn9128 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:45 am
As Vyssion mentioned the latest analysis of this 2019 car aerodynamics, on the the aerodynamic effect of the Alfa / Ferrari style front wing is now live.

Let us know what you think. We've gone gif mad in this article which I personally think makes comparing the cases much easier.
The gifs aren't working in the article posted. They do work in this thread, so I don't think it's my browser.
There is a 3s delay between each frame of the gif (they aren't video-like gifs as we focused on a key frame of the 2018/2019-01/2019-02 models). We did this so that people have a bit of time to capture what they are seeing. So the gifs basically cycle through 3 key frames, once every 3 seconds.
They show as broken links.
Honda!

turbof1
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by turbof1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:17 pm

dren wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:08 pm
turbof1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 pm
dren wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:00 pm


The gifs aren't working in the article posted. They do work in this thread, so I don't think it's my browser.
There is a 3s delay between each frame of the gif (they aren't video-like gifs as we focused on a key frame of the 2018/2019-01/2019-02 models). We did this so that people have a bit of time to capture what they are seeing. So the gifs basically cycle through 3 key frames, once every 3 seconds.
They show as broken links.
That's weird. The images are linked to cubeupload. I'm looking at the article right now in multiple browsers (chrome, edge and tor) and shows up fine. Is cubeupload perhaps for whatever reason blacklisted by your browser/provider/antivirus?
#AeroFrodo

jjn9128
209
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by jjn9128 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:23 pm

dren wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:08 pm
turbof1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 pm
dren wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:00 pm


The gifs aren't working in the article posted. They do work in this thread, so I don't think it's my browser.
There is a 3s delay between each frame of the gif (they aren't video-like gifs as we focused on a key frame of the 2018/2019-01/2019-02 models). We did this so that people have a bit of time to capture what they are seeing. So the gifs basically cycle through 3 key frames, once every 3 seconds.
They show as broken links.
Hmmm. They work for me in opera as well.
#aerogandalf

dren
275
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by dren » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Perhaps that's what it is. I can see everything in this thread and the picture posted in the article, just no gifs. I'm using Firefox. I'll check on another connection.
Honda!

3jawchuck
32
User avatar
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:57 am

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by 3jawchuck » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 pm

Working for me in Firefox 66.

hollus
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by hollus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:32 pm

The front page article works well here, in Firefox and Chrome. Also in Safari in an iPhone.

Great work, BTW!
It is not white, it is not black, it is probably gray.

Just_a_fan
470
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: CFD of F1T Modified PERRINN F1 Car

Post by Just_a_fan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:11 am

Does the model have flow through the sidepods? I'm guessing it doesn't as that would be a lot of work to do properly, but it would be interesting to know how the flow through the car changes the flow around the car.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"