WTF is this supposed "hydraulic suspension" Ferrari is using?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
humble sabot

WTF is this supposed "hydraulic suspension" Ferrari is using?

Particularly as regards the SF90T, I've been hearing talk about "hydraulic suspension" as though it's something newfangled and special.
Is there something unique going on or not, and why, either way, is the buzzword something so non-descriptive?
Hydraulic damping has been the order of the day since it was invented in, what, the '40s? McLaren's hydraulically linked roll control in their MP4C wasn't even their invention. There are rules in F1 about linking corners, FRIC was outlawed after all right. So What if anything is going on?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

PhillipM

Re: WTF is this supposed "hydraulic suspension" Ferrari is using?

People with no understanding about suspension start rambling when they see the car move under normal aero loads and then 960 fanboys jump on it and perpetuate the stuff, that's what happens.

Slo Poke

Re: WTF is this supposed "hydraulic suspension" Ferrari is using?

humble sabot wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 06:28
Particularly as regards the SF90T, I've been hearing talk about "hydraulic suspension" as though it's something newfangled and special.
Is there something unique going on or not, and why, either way, is the buzzword something so non-descriptive?
Hydraulic damping has been the order of the day since it was invented in, what, the '40s? McLaren's hydraulically linked roll control in their MP4C wasn't even their invention. There are rules in F1 about linking corners, FRIC was outlawed after all right. So What if anything is going on?
Hello My Friend, I think I may be able to shed a little light on your dilemma. Although first I need to explain a little gem I know concerning tyre wear.
Rear tyre wear is the result of piston descend on powerstroke, for short. Detonations of any type, or kind, are measured in distance per second, in this case. Each individual descent of a piston on powerstroke transmits a pulse or spike of torque to the contact patch. So, after a culmination of six descents the rear wheels and tyres are brimming with rotational vibration, this agitates the rubber in a stretch relax cycle, especially under acceleration. It’s why some drivers are good at preserving them.
So! WTF’s going on? It has nothing whatsoever to do with the suspension itself, as it’s busy working to simply damp out rotational vibration horizontally. In that configuration it isn’t going to affect car control at all.