2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Zynerji

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

mzso wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 21:41
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 20:54
From what I've read, one of the main changes that caused higher rake cars to gain on lower rake cars was the simplification of the brake winglets. I wonder if it will be a similar trend next year with the brake winglet being allowed and can go quite low.
Why have rake at all with next year's cars, when you can just shape the underside? It would only raise the center of gravity, and make the suspension and balancing the car more difficult.
Downforce on the wheel is more effective than downforce on the chassis.

djos

mzso wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 21:41
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 20:54
From what I've read, one of the main changes that caused higher rake cars to gain on lower rake cars was the simplification of the brake winglets. I wonder if it will be a similar trend next year with the brake winglet being allowed and can go quite low.
Why have rake at all with next year's cars, when you can just shape the underside? It would only raise the center of gravity, and make the suspension and balancing the car more difficult.
Rake would likely render the venturi tunnels useless as the Venturi effect needs a constricted section to work. If the constriction isn't near the ground, my understanding is it would be rendered useless.

Iirc, Lola Champ Cars had partially enclosed tunnels to reduce their sensitivity to bumpy tracks etc.

"In downforce we trust"

jjn9128

djos wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 23:33
Rake would likely render the venturi tunnels useless as the Venturi effect needs a constricted section to work. If the constriction isn't near the ground, my understanding is it would be rendered useless.

Iirc, Lola Champ Cars had partially enclosed tunnels to reduce their sensitivity to bumpy tracks etc.
This was run with a rake of 1,4deg...
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

djos

Interesting, at what angle do they stop being effective?

PS Red Bull run something like 3 degrees rake atm dont they?
"In downforce we trust"

mzso

Zynerji wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 21:58
Downforce on the wheel is more effective than downforce on the chassis.
Since rake produces nothing at the wheel, this is a strange comment. Only stuff at the wheel like brake covers might produce DF there.

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 00:09
djos wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 23:33

This was run with a rake of 1,4deg...
https://f1tcdn.net/images/features/2019 ... -floor.png
Is there a danger of porpoising occurring with the new regs?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

jjn9128

djos wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 00:11
Interesting, at what angle do they stop being effective?

PS Red Bull run something like 3 degrees rake atm dont they?
3 seems a bit extreme, maybe static rake is near there but at speed it will be lower.

No idea at what angle they won't be effective. But it's a myth that there won't be any rake in '22.

Stu wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 07:52
Is there a danger of porpoising occurring with the new regs?
That's a danger with any floor if there's a systematic and uncontrolled stall. The main issue of porpoising in the 80s was that the tunnel height was too low, some teams corrected that even then. With '22 there's a minimum tunnel depth of 60mm with the plank. Plus with modern CFD and wind tunnel methods, if any team suffers from it they done messed up!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CMSMJ1

For the unedcuated - the centre of pressure as detailed in the CFD pic above - as the ?majority? now of df is created at the tunnels would this lead to the cars having a more stable aero balance.

I think I mean - as the speeds increase, do each of the aero elements deliver their df at a similar rate and if not, does the balance of the car change - more or less, that it would do today?

I've tried ot write that a few times and I'll not be offended if the initial respons is "wtf is he on about" :mrgreen:

I'll try again - today - the car produces df that is focussed on either end of the car - front wings and the bargeboards delivering to the front axle - and the rear wing and diffuser taking the loads at the rear of the car.

With the new (is it really new) change for a main part of the df being created in the middle of the car - does it reduce the sensitivity of the car on the whole? (In my head - I'd think yes, more balanced)

I might need more tea...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

jjn9128

CMSMJ1 wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 10:25
For the unedcuated - the centre of pressure as detailed in the CFD pic above - as the ?majority? now of df is created at the tunnels would this lead to the cars having a more stable aero balance.
Wtf are you on about? 😜

In seriousness though. That’s a plot of static pressure coefficient not centre of pressure. Assuming car attitude is constant that Cp will be constant as speed increases until the state of flow changes due to Reynolds number.

But car attitude isn’t fixed so the rear flattens and lowers so the Cp on the front wing will increase (become less negative) and at the diffuser kink reduce (become more negative) so the centre of pressure should move rearwards.
#aerogandalf

Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 13:44

But car attitude isn’t fixed so the rear flattens and lowers so the Cp on the front wing will increase (become less negative) and at the diffuser kink reduce (become more negative) so the centre of pressure should move rearwards.
So as speed increases there should be a propensity for the CoP to move rearwards increasing lateral stability a touch and adding a little high-speed understeer.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CMSMJ1

jjn9128 wrote:
CMSMJ1 wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 10:25
Wtf are you on about? 😜

In seriousness though. That’s a plot of static pressure coefficient not centre of pressure. Assuming car attitude is constant that Cp will be constant as speed increases until the state of flow changes due to Reynolds number.

=D>

Cheers for the clarity :) Another query below.. \:D/
Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 15:27
jjn9128 wrote:

So as speed increases there should be a propensity for the CoP to move rearwards increasing lateral stability a touch and adding a little high-speed understeer.
And so - does this movement of the centre of pressure become more manageable - it doens't move quite so much if there is a large element of underbody downforce introduced next year?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

jjn9128

CMSMJ1 wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 15:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 15:27
jjn9128 wrote:

And so - does this movement of the centre of pressure become more manageable - it doesn't move quite so much if there is a large element of underbody downforce introduced next year?
The bulk of the suction is generated behind the vanes and near the centre of the wheelbase, but the diffuser kick getting closer to the ground will create more DF towards the rear of the floor. It's the same but different.
#aerogandalf

theVortexCreatorY250

I came across what looks like a simple but somewhat usable analysis on the 2022 regs.

I create vortices

godlameroso

Next year it's all about the nose, and having the suspension work with the correct ride height/rake angle.

The nose is the part that you can make your own, and differentiate yourself from the other teams, and the nose will also dictate how air flows into the tunnels. Which will also determine what kind of rake you can run. Next year's cars will have a lot of unseen sculpting underneath to get the nose to work with the tunnels and the wings.

If we had trouble spotting new bits on the car now, next year will be even more tricky, because the changes by their very nature have to be more subtle. Less scope for innovation, and teams are forced to hone what they have by the regulations.
Saishū kōnā

theVortexCreatorY250

godlameroso wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 15:11
Next year it's all about the nose, and having the suspension work with the correct ride height/rake angle.

The nose is the part that you can make your own, and differentiate yourself from the other teams, and the nose will also dictate how air flows into the tunnels. Which will also determine what kind of rake you can run. Next year's cars will have a lot of unseen sculpting underneath to get the nose to work with the tunnels and the wings.

If we had trouble spotting new bits on the car now, next year will be even more tricky, because the changes by their very nature have to be more subtle. Less scope for innovation, and teams are forced to hone what they have by the regulations.
I agree, I think managing the upwash in this region will be critical. Suspension is quite limited for downwashing but under the nose it's self will probably look more like pre 2009 (in terms of loading distribution).
I create vortices