2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

theVortexCreatorY250 wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 15:55
godlameroso wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 15:11
Next year it's all about the nose, and having the suspension work with the correct ride height/rake angle.

The nose is the part that you can make your own, and differentiate yourself from the other teams, and the nose will also dictate how air flows into the tunnels. Which will also determine what kind of rake you can run. Next year's cars will have a lot of unseen sculpting underneath to get the nose to work with the tunnels and the wings.

If we had trouble spotting new bits on the car now, next year will be even more tricky, because the changes by their very nature have to be more subtle. Less scope for innovation, and teams are forced to hone what they have by the regulations.
I agree, I think managing the upwash in this region will be critical. Suspension is quite limited for downwashing but under the nose it's self will probably look more like pre 2009 (in terms of loading distribution).
https://www.simscale.com/projects/erola ... imulation/

I've been looking at these, and I have a few ideas.
Saishū kōnā

Blackout

Would love to see how this curve would look on a 2021 and especially a 2022 car (this seems to be the 2011 RB)
I guess in 2022 we would have less peak DF at the front, and a bigger peak at the center

godlameroso

That's a fantastic image, it reminds me of this video, which also reminds me of the 2022 diffusers.

Saishū kōnā

jjn9128

Blackout wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 17:39
Would love to see how this curve would look on a 2021 and especially a 2022 car (this seems to be the 2011 RB)
I guess in 2022 we would have less peak DF at the front, and a bigger peak at the center
https://i.imgur.com/b1bKrZJ.jpg
This is from the Williams CFD DP_CFD posted in the fw43b thread

https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/image/ ... ut8V4s4luE
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Blackout

Another great image. Thanks

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

jjn9128 wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 13:44
CMSMJ1 wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 10:25
For the unedcuated - the centre of pressure as detailed in the CFD pic above - as the ?majority? now of df is created at the tunnels would this lead to the cars having a more stable aero balance.
Wtf are you on about? 😜

In seriousness though. That’s a plot of static pressure coefficient not centre of pressure. Assuming car attitude is constant that Cp will be constant as speed increases until the state of flow changes due to Reynolds number.

But car attitude isn’t fixed so the rear flattens and lowers so the Cp on the front wing will increase (become less negative) and at the diffuser kink reduce (become more negative) so the centre of pressure should move rearwards.
With what Merc are doing with the collapsible suspension, then the diffuser would stall, and Cp_rear would increase, and the CoP would move forwards.

Stu

Blackout wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 17:39
https://i.imgur.com/b1bKrZJ.jpg
That is a great picture, the front wing visibly has a higher peak, but just look at the area under the curve from the front of the door back!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

djos

I know very little about Aero, but I found Tom's recent videos on the 2022 cars really interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcqlRr ... 4rKGnvxoag
"In downforce we trust"

KAIZEN

2022 Formula 1 Technical Regulations
10.4 Inboard suspension
Partial excerpt.

10.4.3 The only permitted suspension elements are :
b. Dampers – the primary purpose of which is to dissipate energy by generating an opposing force to the direction of motion as a function of the relative velocity between its nodes. Utilisation of heavily asymmetric damping forces for the purpose and/or effect of contravening Article 10.2.6 is not permitted. A gas spring as part of the functionality of a damper element, for the purposes of anti-cavitation, is acceptable as long as the spring rate as measured between the nodes does not exceed 10N/mm.

Links may be used to actuate the suspension elements that are mounted remotely from the rockers but cannot be used to circumvent or subvert the requirement of Article 10.2.6. Such links must be rigid and of minimal mass and design so as to achieve the linking mechanism. Links using a fluid medium are not permitted.

As a result, the rake angle setting disappears.

Stu

KAIZEN wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 13:15
10.4 Inboard suspension
Partial excerpt.

b. Dampers – the primary purpose of which is to dissipate energy by generating an opposing force to the direction of motion as a function of the relative velocity between its nodes. Utilisation of heavily asymmetric damping forces for the purpose and/or effect of contravening Article 10.2.6 is not permitted. A gas spring as part of the functionality of a damper element, for the purposes of anti-cavitation, is acceptable as long as the spring rate as measured between the nodes does not exceed 10N/mm.

Links may be used to actuate the suspension elements that are mounted remotely from the rockers but cannot be used to circumvent or subvert the requirement of Article 10.2.6. Such links must be rigid and of minimal mass and design so as to achieve the linking mechanism. Links using a fluid medium are not permitted.

As a result non-linear, controlled suspension movement utilising groovy damping characteristics disappears….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

theVortexCreatorY250

KAIZEN wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 13:15
10.4 Inboard suspension
Partial excerpt.

To continue, high rake has a few key benefits:

- moves front wing closer to ground | Not as important since front wing footplates are now banned, this will likely just make tyre squirt worse.

- a diffuser with a higher peak angle at a higher ride height is less sensitive | Not as important since the tunnels expand earlier.

- I haven't seen the exact revisions of the rear brake duct rules however whilst rake (on these cars) makes their effect larger I don't think that rake will help as much next year

To summarise expecailly with the suspension rules limiting how much you can drop the rear ride height on the straights I think there are more factors which present low rake as being a more optimal solution but I'm no F1 team :?:
I create vortices

godlameroso

Flexi floors, altering the geometry of the tunnels is going to be a big talking point because it can alter performance so much.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 15:53
Flexi floors, altering the geometry of the tunnels is going to be a big talking point because it can alter performance so much.
Flexi floors altering the geometry of the tunnels will be a big talking point because it'll get a team thrown out for cheating...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 19:11
godlameroso wrote:
Flexi floors altering the geometry of the tunnels will be a big talking point because it'll get a team thrown out for cheating...
It can't be helped, the high pressure air wants to wrap around the floor, towards the low pressure zone, this creates a bending force on the edge of the floor, with the center of the underfloor vortex as the fulcrum point. In other words the aero of the car causes the floor to bow ever so slightly. The 2022 front wing will also suffer from this, by design it seems.
Last edited by godlameroso on 10 Nov 2021, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 19:11
godlameroso wrote:
All floors flex, some more beneficially than others..😏