2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
mzso

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

The F1 article says "two sweeping flaps" this has three.
with the endplates pointing upwards dramatically, much like the wing tip on a passenger plane
So the endplate sweep will be mandatory as well? Or what does pointing upward dramatically mean? They were always vertical and pointing fully upward.
The tips won’t be loaded up, opening up an area for the teams to develop.
What on earth does this mean?
The endplate and struts also sweep inwards on a curve, rather than running down vertically, to deliver a more aesthetically pleasing look.
It's quite painful to read something like this... F1 is seriously lost (again) if aesthetic appeal is a major design factor.
with a higher headrest and roll hoop allowing more space for the drivers.
They should be working on designing away the headrest, not raising it. Especially after the Monza race. And the nowadays all too common stupid looking collisions which wouldn't happen if the drivers had peripheral vision.

mzso

AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 21:47
Ooooh God noo...not 6 seconds slower...2014 all over again! :oops:
You get sexual arousal from laptime numbers being lower or something?

jjn9128

mzso wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 15:58
with the endplates pointing upwards dramatically, much like the wing tip on a passenger plane
So the endplate sweep will be mandatory as well? Or what does pointing upward dramatically mean? They were always vertical and pointing fully upward.
The tips won’t be loaded up, opening up an area for the teams to develop.
What on earth does this mean?
with a higher headrest and roll hoop allowing more space for the drivers.
They should be working on designing away the headrest, not raising it. Especially after the Monza race. And the nowadays all too common stupid looking collisions which wouldn't happen if the drivers had peripheral vision.
The front wing will look like this, but with a second trim element for balancing the car.

The cockpit changes may be a reaction to the Hubert/Corea accident?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

ENGINE TUNER

mzso wrote:
the headrest does NOT limit peripheral vision, the Hans device and the helmet does.

mzso

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:08
mzso wrote:
the headrest does NOT limit peripheral vision, the Hans device and the helmet does.
What do they call the headrest? It's the U shaped foam that Hamilton got called out for when it came loose. Now that and the raised sidewalls because of it completely block the vision to the sides. Drivers should a 240 degress or more field of view.

ENGINE TUNER

mzso wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:24
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:08
mzso wrote:
What do they call the headrest? It's the U shaped foam that Hamilton got called out for when it came loose. Now that and the raised sidewalls because of it completely block the vision to the sides. Drivers should a 240 degress or more field of view.
The headrest was specifically designed not to limit peripheral vision, it does not. The helmet and the Hans device(by necessity) are what limit the drivers vision. Raising the headrest will not decrease viability, as it will only cover more of the back of the driver's head in a side impact. You might want to look at what parts of the helmet are visible when a driver is sat in the car.

FW17

mzso wrote:
The endplate and struts also sweep inwards on a curve, rather than running down vertically, to deliver a more aesthetically pleasing look.
It's quite painful to read something like this... F1 is seriously lost (again) if aesthetic appeal is a major design factor.
Is it so difficult for these guys to write a rule that looks simple and elegant

What is wrong in keeping the endplate straight and going all the way to the floor

jjn9128

FW17 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 18:03
mzso wrote:

What is wrong in keeping the endplate straight and going all the way to the floor

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ermany.jpg
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img ... ffuser.jpg
http://alt-style.co.jp/user/hondaracing ... img01L.jpg
You think those massive sails are elegant?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

AMG.Tzan

mzso wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:00
AMG.Tzan wrote:
You get sexual arousal from laptime numbers being lower or something?
Oooh yeah...i get sexual arousal when i see laptimes under 1.20 around Barcelona! :wink:

Formula 1 is the fastest sport in the world...we need cars that brake track records just like other sports every year! If we want F2 laptimes we can watch F2 for that matter!
Having track records since 2004 made F1 look like it couldn't develop faster cars anymore...cars don't have to be slow to race closer together!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

ENGINE TUNER

FW17 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 18:03

Those regs were made for advertising space, not for aesthetics or performance.

Square billboards might not fit in well with the other aesthetics of the 2021 car.

trinidefender

mclaren111 wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 08:55
AMG.Tzan wrote:

But i think saying that 2021 tires were 3 secs slower than the 2019 tires is wrong since they were testing with 2021 numbers of downforce and as i saw they were using Monza style wings...maybe that's why they were so much slower??

Except for that, they have 1.5 years of development in front of them until 2021...so they will get better i believe!

Again, 2017 lap times will be ok for 2021 i believe! Let's see...

You won't even notice 6 seconds... Not live nor on TV...

The sound is still a huge problem... On TV they sound like lawnmowers...
Except you're wrong. Because myself and many others say we notice it.

If you don't care for laptimes then go watch a slower series. F1 has always been the pinnacle and should remain so.

But as was posted by another user, it's not 6 seconds, it's 60 points of downforce and with development it will probably be close to current times. A second or two slower isn't too bad in my opinion.

My hope is that they just don't close off development too much.

jjn9128

AMG.Tzan wrote:
Force India CEO Otmar Szafnauer suggested the 2021 F1 rules could make cars up to seven seconds slower but Key’s prediction was more cautious when asked how he thought lap times would change in 2021:

"I’m not going to give you a number because I think it’s too early to say. I don’t want to get pinned down by number on the ’21 regs too early.

But I think all the teams need to work at this to work out how much potential there is. FOM and the FIA have had done a great job of putting out a very different set of guidelines for how a car should be and we’re in the process at the moment, all teams in the process are trying to understand, as they mature a little bit, trying to understand what that really means, what a quick ’21 car is.

Will there be a bit of grip loss for those different 18-inch rim tyres? Maybe, they’ll be different animals. The aero is more I suppose you could say slightly more simple than we see now but. But there’s a lot of different mechanisms for generating performance with the aero. And the engines will be the same.

So I think we need to see how all of these things combine to give us a better picture. But we’re not talking massive differences, I wouldn’t have said, at this stage. It could actually be quite close, but we’ll see."
From https://www.racefans.net/2019/09/25/rac ... p-25-09-2/

I think it's worth pointing out Otmar Szafnauer is from a smaller team who would rather not have the expense of a massive rule change, whereas Key is from a sleeping giant who would like an upset to the status quo to hopefully steal a march on the current big teams if their resource is focused on winning in 2020. No such thing as an impartial commentator when it comes to teams.
#aerogandalf

Holm86

So it's more or less confirmed that there will be no new engine regulations??

jjn9128

Holm86 wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 12:45
So it's more or less confirmed that there will be no new engine regulations??
Since Azerbaijan last season.
#aerogandalf

Neno

I still aint getting why with new rules and new aero, cars arent getting lighter. But again for 4x time (regs) in row cars are getting heavier and heavier. First time happened in 2009 with KERS and cars just continued over decade weight more and more.

Which is basically anti safety regulation in first place. I was really suprised when I heard now rumours or 2021 cars getting 20-40 kg heavier than currents are now. I really thought with new rules we would have complete shift in both wheelbase limit, how long cars can be and how heavy should be.

I truly wonder if building smallest and lightest car in 2021 will be biggest advantage of 2021 rules.