2022 Aero Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
User avatar
Blackout
790
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

mzso wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:05 pm
Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:27 am
Gear-box is suspect n°1 and is a weak link. So rules can easily force teams to reduce its length to really shorten the cars IMO...
Suspect of what?
Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:27 am
And don't you think that the sidepod "entrails" will have to move upwards in 2021 because of the new tunnels? weight and space saving and COG lowering (for the cooling system, electronics etc) might attract "renewed" interest...
Don't think so. The venturi tunnel needs to be down low in the middle of it to produce downforce:
https://darhd0gh2uhgv.cloudfront.net/im ... 3-1920.jpg

Also, renewed interest for what? It's far from clear...
Yeah but even at their lowest point, the floor looks highr (to me) than today. And that part where the floor is low, do not really matter in this case, because we're talking about the sidepod internal components, which will sit roughly inside the green area, and in that area, where the sidepods meet the floor the tunnels deck is high...
Image
Image
Last edited by Blackout on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MatsNorway
MatsNorway
4
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

The cars is this long because they are driving on 90% tilke domes and is allowed to be heavier than they have ever been before. Drop the minimum weight limit a bit and give them more tricky street circuits and less known and smaller tracks with not perfect tarmac and things would chance.
je suis charlie

A touch of genius is the simplest thing.


DRS is like supports on a bicycle[/size]

User avatar
strad
271
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

Good point
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mzso
mzso
20
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:37 pm
That's what I'm saying.
No. You were implying that the cars are long because of the gearbox.
Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:37 pm
That's what I mean. if the rule makers want to shorten the cars, they should limit the gbox length...
How'd you come to that conclusion? It wouldn't accomplish anything. As even you said, the cars are long for aerodynamic purposes, so they won't be shortened just because the gearbox is.
They simply need to limit car length. It's as easy as writing a sentence in the rulebook.
Last edited by mzso on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mzso
mzso
20
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 pm
Yeah but even at their lowest point, the floor looks highr (to me) than today.
Since the radiators were never at the lowest point it doesn't matter.
Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 pm
And that part where the floor is low, do not really matter in this case, because we're talking about the sidepod internal components, which will sit roughly inside the green area, and in that area, where the sidepods meet the floor the tunnels deck is high...
That area also includes the lowest stop of the tunnel...
The sidepod inlets are already high, after which the sidepods curve downward, so it makes for no change.
I found this image with a quick search:
Image

User avatar
Blackout
790
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

mzso wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:26 pm
Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:37 pm
That's what I'm saying.
No. You were implying that the cars are long because of the gearbox.
Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:37 pm
That's what I mean. if the rule makers want to shorten the cars, they should limit the gbox length...
How'd you come to that conclusion? It wouldn't accomplish anything. As even you said, the cars are long for aerodynamic purposes, so they won't be shortened just because the gearbox is.
They simply need to limit car length. It's as easy as writing a sentence in the rulebook.
Yes. Simply reducing the car length is easier.

But I though that if we simply reduce the gbox lengtth would give teams a bit more room to gain some length in other areas and give us more diverse solutions between the cars regarding packaging ie sidepod shapes, rear whishbone shapes, while force them to shorten the car etc :mrgreen:
Last edited by Blackout on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blackout
790
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

mzso wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:37 pm
Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 pm
Yeah but even at their lowest point, the floor looks highr (to me) than today.
Since the radiators were never at the lowest point it doesn't matter.
Blackout wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 pm
And that part where the floor is low, do not really matter in this case, because we're talking about the sidepod internal components, which will sit roughly inside the green area, and in that area, where the sidepods meet the floor the tunnels deck is high...
That area also includes the lowest stop of the tunnel...
The sidepod inlets are already high, after which the sidepods curve downward, so it makes for no change.
I found this image with a quick search:
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... e-de-1.jpg
There is a quite big difference my friend
The rads may not sit at the lowest point of the floor today but they're not far from it...
Image
Image

User avatar
FW17
232
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

Is a 2021 or current f1 car wind tunnel model same size as an actual 2008 actual car?

User avatar
F1Krof
74
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

I don't know if I said enough. Bollocks bollocks bollocks ...

This is destroying F1 as we know it. It just another Indy Car Plus series, with standardized parts and cars that weigh as much as bulldozers. And for what? We want spectacle!!! Yes fake ass hypocritic spectacle! What happened to DRS being there as an artificial guide to help increase the spectacle of overtaking?

F1 is about technological brilliancy as much as it as about racing. With standardized heavy lazy parts, I'll watch Indy Car or F2, F3 or Super Formula or Touring Cars.

This is bullshit!
Wroom wroom

User avatar
Capharol
61
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

F1Krof wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:24 pm
I don't know if I said enough. Bollocks bollocks bollocks ...

This is destroying F1 as we know it. It just another Indy Car Plus series, with standardized parts and cars that weigh as much as bulldozers. And for what? We want spectacle!!! Yes fake ass hypocritic spectacle! What happened to DRS being there as an artificial guide to help increase the spectacle of overtaking?

F1 is about technological brilliancy as much as it as about racing. With standardized heavy lazy parts, I'll watch Indy Car or F2, F3 or Super Formula or Touring Cars.

This is bullshit!
okay that was your statement, standing oposite of the general thoughts (let say 85%-90% of the F1 fans) about the 2021 ruling
Strive for continuous improvement, instead of perfection.
"Most people seem to turn off their brain when they turn on the computer and log in to social media."

mzso
mzso
20
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

F1Krof wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:24 pm
I don't know if I said enough. Bollocks bollocks bollocks ...

This is destroying F1 as we know it. It just another Indy Car Plus series, with standardized parts and cars that weigh as much as bulldozers. And for what? We want spectacle!!! Yes fake ass hypocritic spectacle! What happened to DRS being there as an artificial guide to help increase the spectacle of overtaking?

F1 is about technological brilliancy as much as it as about racing. With standardized heavy lazy parts, I'll watch Indy Car or F2, F3 or Super Formula or Touring Cars.

This is bullshit!
You're like the guy who was complaining after a rule change that at this rate they'll never reach 300 km/h average speed.
BTW, F1 currently doesn't bring racing and not even much technological brilliance. Certainly not the aero, which only wastes money on convoluted aero designs...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
656
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

Capharol wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:31 pm
F1Krof wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:24 pm
I don't know if I said enough. Bollocks bollocks bollocks ...

This is destroying F1 as we know it. It just another Indy Car Plus series, with standardized parts and cars that weigh as much as bulldozers. And for what? We want spectacle!!! Yes fake ass hypocritic spectacle! What happened to DRS being there as an artificial guide to help increase the spectacle of overtaking?

F1 is about technological brilliancy as much as it as about racing. With standardized heavy lazy parts, I'll watch Indy Car or F2, F3 or Super Formula or Touring Cars.

This is bullshit!
okay that was your statement, standing oposite of the general thoughts (let say 85%-90% of the F1 fans) about the 2021 ruling
You have data to back up your "85%-90% of F1 fans", have you? I'm guessing not...
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER
21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

F1Krof wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:24 pm
I don't know if I said enough. Bollocks bollocks bollocks ...

This is destroying F1 as we know it. It just another Indy Car Plus series, with standardized parts and cars that weigh as much as bulldozers. And for what? We want spectacle!!! Yes fake ass hypocritic spectacle! What happened to DRS being there as an artificial guide to help increase the spectacle of overtaking?

F1 is about technological brilliancy as much as it as about racing. With standardized heavy lazy parts, I'll watch Indy Car or F2, F3 or Super Formula or Touring Cars.

This is bullshit!
Is the sky falling too?

User avatar
djos
144
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

F1Krof wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:24 pm
This is bullshit!
I think you summed up your own post rather well! =D>
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

User avatar
F1Krof
74
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Post

All right good luck watching Truck Racing then. Everyother car on each other's butt all race long.
Wroom wroom