Benetton's Active Suspension System (1993)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Sulman

Benetton's Active Suspension System (1993)

Hi all,

I did a search and didn't find this here, but I found this really great blog on Benetton's implementation:
https://mooregoodink.com/developing-ben ... on-system/
The solution came in the form of new technology known as Active suspension, which replaced the springs and dampers (mostly coil-over-shocks) and anti-roll bars with hydraulic actuators (rams) controlled by a computer. The system employed a pump to provide the pressurised fluid which was piped to a computer-driven valve (a moog servo valve) at each corner of the car. This either directed fluid to the actuator or discharged fluid from it to the return line and back to the tank. So now the car’s ride height, including the effects of weight transfer, could be kept constant and true, thus compensating for tyre squash at high downforce loads.
A little on sensors:
Each actuator had a pressure transducer and also a potentiometer inside to give position. The front of the chassis had an accelerometer on axle centre line to sense vertical accelerations. There was also one on the rear axle centre line, which was mounted on a heavy base that was then rubber-mounted to the gearbox. This mounting was tuned such that high-frequency accelerations were filtered out, including engine vibrations that would destroy the accelerometer; we were interested only in the vertical movement of the car.
It sounded pretty sophisticated, A 30hz response rate (If i'm reading it correctly) and some simple mechanical solutions for faster/bigger bumps.

Pretty cool stuff.

Zynerji

Re: Benetton's Active Suspension System (1993)

I read a book on this, and they described it more as a reactive system than a true active system.

One is based upon reactions to sensor readings, the other is anticipating suspension needs.

nokivasara

Re: Benetton's Active Suspension System (1993)

IIRC Steve Matchett writes about it in his book The Mechanics tale. What I remember about it is that is was a nightmare to get dialed in and that the system seemed to have a mind of its own. I'm sure it was a reactive system.