CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
schumiGO

Results realy impressed!!

All softwere you can get in eMule an Edonkey net!!

But can you give me ***.msh files of wing, 'cause i have some problem with 3d model.. ((

West

At my school this kinda stuff is only availiable to grad students, and I don't plan on going to graduate school.

I used to have Shareza, which linked to Edonkey and emule, but it never seemed to work.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

SKRAT

I took some CFD classes as an undergrad here in the US. That's the nice thing about the schools, access to fairly expensive CAD and CFD software. I myself have access to FLUENT but not to a good CAD package.

There are some 'free' CFD packages out there, but I believe there is a fair amount of programming involved. That's basically what the CFD users are paying for - not having to be a senior NASA level multiple-doctorate in aerodynamics and applied math whiz in order to do these types of analysis.
-Skrat

StiK

But can you give me ***.msh files of wing, 'cause i have some problem with 3d model.. ((
Floworks doesn't use *.msh because Floworks is a Solidworks plugin. I can give you the solidworks file, or if you want in another format i'll save as that format(if available!)

For solidworks file click bellow:
http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~lgsc/asa_traseira3.zip

West

Anybody know any links to get these softwares, or do I have to pay.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

schumiGO

You can have much softwere if you see in eMule eDonkey net!!
there ara too enough files to you))

mazztech

Extremely interested

Being a recent registree I read the CFD aricle in the aerodynamics section in this site and was very impressed to see how it is being put to practical use. I noticed the offer for drawing submissions to be tested was initially a year ago, but I am very interested in having a front wing I've done in AutoCAD analysed. I'm completing my Mecahnical Engineering Diploma this month so I don't profess to be an expert. But as a future Technical Director I believe I owe it to myself to accelerate my learning above what is required by the educational system. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
The pursuit for perfection is the perfect pursuit.
-myself (1999)

CFDruss

Hey all...................IM BACK!!!!!!! lol

Sorry about my time away. Some nice convorsations going on, and nice to see a few other people entering the CFD technology.

So how you all been

Will have some new CFD stuff on its way in the next week or so.....when I get some nice models!!! lol....keith!!! (only messin)

How are you scarbs, never hear off you know!!! tut tut

Russ

SKRAT

Mazztech- My email is Paul.Casalmir@sdms.usa.xerox.com . If you can export to STEP format or PARASOLID I can try to import into Gambit/TGRID for meshing and subsequent FLUENT analysis. I'm also looking for someone who can also convert breher's Autocad drawings for the same purpose.

As I've seen, flow around the wing one thing, but flow with the nose, wheels, bargeboards (or axes) and radiator seems to be more relevant.

Good to hear you're back Russ, keep on meshing and solving mate!
Later,
Paul C

StiK

SKRAT:
If you send me the autocad files i can try to convert them to one of the formats you refered in the last post.
qubit@sapo.pt

I'm curious: what kind of hardware you people use for meshing and solving(#cpu's,ram,OS,etc)?

Grove on!

Monstrobolaxa

Well...I'm learning CATIA and starting to use fluent and floworks2004....for meshing....haven't got there yet....wtill reading tutorial books on fluet pfd files and looking for floworks tutorials....

But I'll be using a laptop with:

Pentium 4 - 2,60 Ghz
512Mb RAM
Windows XP pro
graphics card 64MB (not much...but better then shared memory)

schumiGO

All pictures are VERY nice!!
But while race car ride, there are too much shaking and vebrations.
How wing work in this conditions?
We can for example say that wing has vertical motion 3 mm 3 times per second.
or y=3(mm)*sin[6*pi*t(sec)] as you wish.

What picture will be in this estimates??

CFDruss

Hey mate,

Vibrations as such don’t really affect rear wings and aerodynamic devices that do not operate at close proximity to the ground. However, in such proximity to the ground, we experience and wonderful phenomena call "ground effect". Ground effect obviously therefore varies with distance in Y. These effects can become quite significant, and so control and careful design need to be carried out. Devices that are sensitive are diffusers, front wing, etc

Over and out
Russ
CFD@Play101.fsnet.co.uk

SKRAT

(Stik-I'm on the road so I'll get those files to you when I get back)
(Monstro-I'm not exactly top-of-line at CFD, but if you get stuck, I always need an excuse to practice meshing)

I run Fluent in a Dell-XP box with dual Xeon at 2.8 GHz each. The Fluent guideline is 1meg RAM per 1,000 cells for typical work (otherwise you bog down accessing your virtual memory on your hard drive - very, very, much not recommended). So with 2meg of DDRAM I max out around 2million cells. (BARf1 report mesh sizes in the 15-20million+ range).

That DALCO box Sauber is picking up says 520 CPU, so what in the hell are the licensing costs for that!?!?! With that new windtunnel to with it, I gotta wonder if Ferrari's 'junior' team is about to become an extension of Ferrari F1 R&D?

Windtunnels, shaker rigs, dyno rigs, CFD, FEA (in the coming years I think coupled fluid-structure of CFD and FEA is the next wave), and RACING. damn it's all so good to hear about (and study some too).
Cheers,
Paul C

Monstrobolaxa

Thanks Skrat :wink: