CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
wrcsti

Re: CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

Maybe add ribs to specific areas to increase strenght.

ringo

Hello everyone, this is not my first time here, but its my first post after reading through. I have a very important question as it relates to reynold's number, not so much the flow and results.
Does anyone have a list of Re equations for different shapes?
I have tried looking for some and can't seem to find any. What i do have is the general correlation for a sphere a plate etc. I was looking for the one for a rectangular prism and others would be nice.

And for the solidworks users, what type of equations do you use in your equations goals, what important data do you look for besides normal forces velocity etc?
I really want to get heavy in this thing. I have been using this program for years, but have not been challenged to really fully utilize it, since i didn't do much aero in my degree.

Thanks.

And to the guy asking about the floor, why not do an flow test on it, find out the forces over the surface at different points then take the part into a static test then apply the loads that you found in the flow test? You could vary the design based on the requirements in deflection that you limited to.
For Sure!!

OrStateAero

ringo wrote:Hello everyone, this is not my first time here, but its my first post after reading through. I have a very important question as it relates to reynold's number, not so much the flow and results.
I have tried looking for some and can't seem to find any. What i do have is the general correlation for a sphere a plate etc. I was looking for the one for a rectangular prism and others would be nice.

And for the solidworks users, what type of equations do you use in your equations goals, what important data do you look for besides normal forces velocity etc?
I really want to get heavy in this thing. I have been using this program for years, but have not been challenged to really fully utilize it, since i didn't do much aero in my degree.

Thanks.

And to the guy asking about the floor, why not do an flow test on it, find out the forces over the surface at different points then take the part into a static test then apply the loads that you found in the flow test? You could vary the design based on the requirements in deflection that you limited to.

Hello Ringo,

I'm rather confused. You want variations in Reynold's numbers? Or, equations that include different surface areas of different shapes?

Reynold's numbers are based on ambient conditions (humidity, pressure, temperature, etc.), not based on shape (Probably why you have not found anything.). If you are trying to test different things using different RNs, you may be wasting your time. You will, of course, get different variations in drag, downforce data, but it's better to develop something at ONE set condition, rather than jumping around. (coming from wind tunnel experience and CFD experience)

Regarding SolidWorks, try using something else if at all possible. If you are connected with a University, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) offers free licensing for STAR CCM + CFD software (Renault F1 uses it). It's accurate and VERY easy to use.

If you want to chat more, contact me on my G-mail account:

acasson8@gmail.com

I'm always willing to help when I can.

ringo

Thanks i will contact you soon. :)
For Sure!!

argi2007

Hi all,
I am a 15 years old and i like very much F1 and especially aerodynamic.
Can someone tell me a software to design F1 cars and test downforce,drag,etc?...I am trying to find in google softwares like CFD and CAD but in most of them you must pay...
Thank you

asdf10101

Hi im new here..

i want to ask what is possible to be find using CFD besides Cd, Cl, and Cm.. im doing a final year project study on comparison between 2008 and 2009 changes.. front and rear wing but im only taking CFD course starting this semester.. so i dont know the function of CFD.. anyone expert in CFD??
i want to know should i model whole car (where can i get all the outer dimension of f1 car, ive search but found nothing only the changes on wings) or just the front and rear wing to prove that 2009 car able to increase overtaking chances.. i know nothing about CFD.. any suggestion is very appreciated on the project..
thanks in advance :D

mikhak

OrStateAero wrote:
ringo wrote:Hello everyone, this is not my first time here, but its my first post after reading through. I have a very important question as it relates to reynold's number, not so much the flow and results.

Thanks.

Hello Ringo,

I'm rather confused. You want variations in Reynold's numbers? Or, equations that include different surface areas of different shapes?

Reynold's numbers are based on ambient conditions (humidity, pressure, temperature, etc.), not based on shape (Probably why you have not found anything.). If you are trying to test different things using different RNs, you may be wasting your time. You will, of course, get different variations in drag, downforce data, but it's better to develop something at ONE set condition, rather than jumping around. (coming from wind tunnel experience and CFD experience)

Regarding SolidWorks, try using something else if at all possible. If you are connected with a University, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) offers free licensing for STAR CCM + CFD software (Renault F1 uses it). It's accurate and VERY easy to use.

If you want to chat more, contact me on my G-mail account:

acasson8@gmail.com

I'm always willing to help when I can.

Reynolds number always includes a characteristic length whether it be diameter for a pipe or chord length for an aerofoil. It seems Ringo is asking what characteristic length to use but I may be wrong on that. I dont know what you would use for a rectangular prism but you should check out:

Author Hoerner, Sighard
Title Fluid-dynamic drag : practical information on aerodynamic drag and hydrodynamic resistance / Sigard Hoerner.
Publisher Vancouver : Hoerner Fluid Dynamics, 1965.

i think thats the book where he looks at the drag of many objects; flat plates, humans, cars etc. so is bound to include the characteristic length of the different objects, you might find your rectangular prism there!

Tonn

I was thinking about next year diffusers and had this thought, but could it be legal? Can you end diffuser main panel earlier to increase the angel of diffuser.

hecti

Tonn wrote:I was thinking about next year diffusers and had this thought, but could it be legal? Can you end diffuser main panel earlier to increase the angel of diffuser.
im not sure if it is legal but this would mean that the diffuser would stall at high speeds, but it would be good for tracks like monaco where you need low speed downforce.

Zweeper

hey, i'm looking for some technical drawings for forumla 1 rear spoilers. Has someone here pictures ect. to get an idea about the dimensions from spoilers?

greetings,
zweeper

Tonn

Can someone run this baby????

godsire

to "run this baby" we need its 3-dimensional view. If you want to make a simulation, just put here a file with your car and somebody would make you a CFD simulation. But to make it we have to use 3D view, a model, not a picture.

fbn
fbn

Just a short general question about CFD:

Does anybody here has got experience implementing the SIMPLE-algorithm? I tried to, but I don't understand, if I have to update the coefficients of the discretised momentum equation in each inner loop...

brebu

I have one question .... How does fuel the wings? If you go with more fuel wings have the same properties as if you go with less fuel?
in a Formula 1 car, when you have more fuel in the car ... you do raise their wings and they come down?

thanks

flameracing

where can i upload my catia model
i like salty peanuts