CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
F1NAC

Re: CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula

Post by F1NAC » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:22 pm

maybe silly question but is there somewhere similar software like CFD and if there is tutorial about that? I would like to start learning this stuff

Huntresa

Post by Huntresa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 am

A really good writeup from Scarbs on general stuff in F1 design and aero http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2013/12/30/to ... eo-images/

WillerZ

Post by WillerZ » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:17 am

F1NAC wrote:maybe silly question but is there somewhere similar software like CFD and if there is tutorial about that? I would like to start learning this stuff
Look at openfoam.org where you can find software to download and tutorials in the documentation.

I am trying to learn it as well, but I am not sure that openfoam can do what I want to do: I want to model a rotating bicycle front wheel moving over the ground in still (relative to the ground) air and then in cross-wind conditions. I will start with wheels that I already own and, presuming I get reasonable answers for how they behave, progress to wheels I am considering buying.

As far as I can tell no-one is doing CFD on rotating bicycle wheels moving over the ground, so presumably it is very difficult. Any hints are welcome.

Owen.C93

Post by Owen.C93 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:57 pm

WillerZ wrote:
F1NAC wrote:maybe silly question but is there somewhere similar software like CFD and if there is tutorial about that? I would like to start learning this stuff
Look at openfoam.org where you can find software to download and tutorials in the documentation.

I am trying to learn it as well, but I am not sure that openfoam can do what I want to do: I want to model a rotating bicycle front wheel moving over the ground in still (relative to the ground) air and then in cross-wind conditions. I will start with wheels that I already own and, presuming I get reasonable answers for how they behave, progress to wheels I am considering buying.

As far as I can tell no-one is doing CFD on rotating bicycle wheels moving over the ground, so presumably it is very difficult. Any hints are welcome.
Sure they are. I only use STARccm+ though so no experience with openfoam unfortunately.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Kiril Varbanov

Post by Kiril Varbanov » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Just shared by Craig Scarborough, saying that this CFD work is done by Nick Wirth Research.
#AutosportShow

pwlucas

Post by pwlucas » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:59 am

WillerZ wrote:

OpenFOAM can do this.

shelly

Post by shelly » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 pm

twitter: @armchair_aero

TotalSim

Post by TotalSim » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:43 pm

TotalSim use OpenFOAM for all our motorsport analysis and work with the british cycling team. http://www.totalsimulation.co.uk

WillerZ - The rotating wheels/mesh stuff within OpenFOAM is possible but its not straightforward. I would try some non rotating mesh wheels with an RRF type approach first. This gives you a pretty good approximation for most applications. There is a pretty cool video at the link below of a cyclist modelled using OpenFOAM.
http://www.totalsimulation.co.uk/wp/por ... shcycling/

astracrazy

Post by astracrazy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:00 am

hi guys

does anyone know if its possible (and how) to show the location of drag in paraview?

I've seen graphs which are possible which show the distance of the model along x then y shows the amount of downforce i.e how its distributed. not that i know how to do that either (heads up would be good if anyone knows)

what i'm trying to find is something similar but for drag. i've got a figure for the whole model, but i want to know how this is distributed. i.e is it all coming from the back, is it equal etc etc.

does anyone know if this is possible and how, or ways of doing this?

Anon123

Post by Anon123 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:32 pm

I managed to get hold of the mp4-29 model from the Mclaren website as an .OBJ if anyone wants to do some CFD work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnsimi7cnnyyy0t/Mclaren.obj

MadMatt

Post by MadMatt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Anon123 wrote:I managed to get hold of the mp4-29 model from the Mclaren website as an .OBJ if anyone wants to do some CFD work.

Nice, but unusable in its current format as you cannot select/work with individual parts.

marcush.

Post by marcush. » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:44 pm

pwlucas wrote:
WillerZ wrote:

OpenFOAM can do this.
it is a bit more involved .To my knowledge MRF (Moving Reference Frame )is the buzzword you are looking for .I know CFD for Axial fans in Automotive applications use it with success.The Video below says Ansys xflow can do without MRF :

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5belVt85hs [/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvE7IfmqTTg

yuriy

Post by yuriy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Anon123 wrote:I managed to get hold of the mp4-29 model from the Mclaren website as an .OBJ if anyone wants to do some CFD work.

How valid is this data? I took a look on it, and after some smoothing, it looks very good. And the amount of detail is incredible. But I suppose this is not original McLaren data?

yuriy

Post by yuriy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:08 pm

MadMatt wrote:

Nice, but unusable in its current format as you cannot select/work with individual parts.
An easy method is to import it in Star CCM+ and split it by curves. Then you can use it.

pwlucas

Post by pwlucas » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:17 pm

Anybody who uses Star-CCM+, how do you find aero balance and/or loading on the tires?