CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
flyboy2160

Re: CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula

F1NAC wrote:Does anyone works in Solidworks? I installed recently Solidworks and now I am asking for opinions is it good for fluid dynamics?
I can't speak for the low cost/free CFD that's included with the basic CAD seat.

I can vouch for the expensive add-in Flow Simulation. It so convincingly won a CFD shoot-out at work (validated against wind tunnel and flight test results) that I bought a seat for my aero work at home.

firasf1dream

flyboy2160 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:Does anyone works in Solidworks? I installed recently Solidworks and now I am asking for opinions is it good for fluid dynamics?
I can't speak for the low cost/free CFD that's included with the basic CAD seat.

I can vouch for the expensive add-in Flow Simulation. It so convincingly won a CFD shoot-out at work (validated against wind tunnel and flight test results) that I bought a seat for my aero work at home.
aha so u suggest working with flow simulation add in for a professional study ? :D

Adr17

Hello

I am new to cfd and not great on the PC

I was wondering if any of you guys would be able to offer me some advise. Please

I have a coolant package which is very restricted , inter cooler size restricted , radiator restricted , opening in bumper restricted ( has to be 2 like road car )

However the duct from bumper opening to rad inter cooler is free

Please find examples of my design which do you think is best I believe no 1 in my head

No 2

Any advise would be gratefully received

Cold Fussion

I'm finding your drawings a bit confusing to follow. Is the opening to the air on the right hand side, and that circular thing the fan? Generally I would have said having a separate duct for each heat exchanger would be the way to go, but if they're using the same fan then the interaction between the two streams will be a lot more complicated. I would still say the inlet's to each duct should be separate and sealed like in option 1.

TotalSim

Option 1 should allow you much better control of the expansion ahead of the cores.

Good luck.

justonjon

If you or anyone has or can do the CAD geometry of the designs you are interested in then I will analysis the best I can..........of an F1 or F3 company can offer me a job!!!!!!!! Yeah, I wish

SpainFAN

flyboy2160 wrote:

Hi FlyBoy, so you are saying is I am not misinterpreting your comments, that your CFD solution implements the NS equations to an extent that their resolution can be validates in a flight test and wind tunnel? Can you point me to some supporting material to those claims? What was de delta if any from the CFD to the Tunnel and flight test? What your sim validate for 2D o a 3D?

nic08

can you teach the fundamentals of aerodynamics and what is drag?

mycadcae

nic08 wrote:can you teach the fundamentals of aerodynamics and what is drag?
Both the drag force and the downforce are proportional to the square of the velocity of a car. The drag force is given by:
Fdrag = 0.5CdAV²
where is:
Fdrag - Aerodynamic drag
Cd- Coefficient of drag
D- Air density
A- Frontal area
V- Object velocity

Cd is the coefficient of drag determined by the exact shape of the car and its angle of attack.

The downforce is given by:
Fdown = 0.5ClAV²
where is:
Fdown - Aerodynamic downforce
Cl- Coefficient of lift
D- Air density
A- Frontal area
V- Object velocity
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

mycadcae

Re: CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

WHAT the new for aerodynamics ?..
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

timhuang77

:D Hi all,

I'm on an FSAE team trying to start Aero simulations for our car this year. I run Star-CCM+ v11 and are getting more and more familiar with CFD analysis. My question being: Where is the line drawn between 2D and 3D simulations? I understand that 3D is better at simulating viscous effects and estimating downforce and drag numbers. Currently, most of the vehicle simulations are done in 3D and ideally some would be done in 2D (as it is magnitudes faster computationally speaking). Our airfoil selection is done in 2D, but I would like to do more to speed up and simplify the process. Thanks

Pierce89

timhuang77 wrote::D Hi all,

I'm on an FSAE team trying to start Aero simulations for our car this year. I run Star-CCM+ v11 and are getting more and more familiar with CFD analysis. My question being: Where is the line drawn between 2D and 3D simulations? I understand that 3D is better at simulating viscous effects and estimating downforce and drag numbers. Currently, most of the vehicle simulations are done in 3D and ideally some would be done in 2D (as it is magnitudes faster computationally speaking). Our airfoil selection is done in 2D, but I would like to do more to speed up and simplify the process. Thanks
You can also do a center line slice along the y axis. Its OK for roughly estimating what your diffuser angle should be . It can also help with deciding rear wing heighth.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

PABLOEING

Pat Symmonds said yesterday thant the teams cant use the wind tunnel until february....¿is true?

Pierce89

PABLOEING wrote:Pat Symmonds said yesterday thant the teams cant use the wind tunnel until february....¿is true?
You must have misunderstood. They are most definitely using wind tunnels year round.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Paul

Except a mandatory break in July/August.