CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
schumiGO

Ok mates....
But the main problem that 150 $ this price of my life in 2 :!: months...
It's better to eat food this month to live then buy this SW........ It's just offtopic)) 8) 8) :D :D :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Next pfftopic )) 2005 SW work like --- in RADEON 9000 pro (64 mb) and ATLON 900 + 256 mb(pci 133)... :P :P :P

No problem of all help)) )) :lol: :lol: :lol:

To determine dreg you must SET GOALS in FLOWORKS.,,
YOu can see @Feature maneger@ and here yu can find Floworks bookmark....(you can find COALS ICON IN FLOWORK either :lol: :lol: :lol: )

so in this bookmark you can see GOALS that not seted... Click there and find in droplist FORCE X or Y o Z and afte calculation you can see values of FORCES ))

so .. thats all))) see you )) Good luck)) :lol: :lol:

CFDruss

I use solidworks, and am hoping to take the accredited professional exam soon, so if you need a hand let me know.

Floworks will struggle to fully analysis a complex F1 vehicle
Russell Harrison
Forced Convection Design Engineer, Comair Rotron Europe Ltd
CFD is based around assumptions; the accuracy of the solution depends not only on the knowledge of the mathematics behind the software but the assumptions the user makes!!!

mjmurphy

CFDruss, when you say floworks struggles to analyze a complex F1 car, do you think it would be difficult to analyze something along the lines of this car:
http://www.science-of-speed.com/showroo ... &carid=626

riff_raff

analysis vs. testing

Analytical data is nice, but test data is better.

Unfortunately, the old axiom, "Garbage in, garbage out" holds true even for the sophisticated analytical code available these days (CFD, FEA, etc.). F1 teams use CFD analysis for preliminary design, but they always validate the results in the wind tunnel. The problem with analytical data lies within the interpretation of the results and the fidelity of the modeling.

I don't have much experience with aero design, but I do have some experience with loads. In my field, spacecraft stuctures and mechanisms, we require a F.S. of 2.0 by analysis, but only a F.S. of 1.25 when analysis is validated by testing.

mjmurphy wrote:CFDruss, when you say floworks struggles to analyze a complex F1 car, do you think it would be difficult to analyze something along the lines of this car:
http://www.science-of-speed.com/showroo ... &carid=626
What's with the wings? Looks like they are rather badly positioned, and are they supposed to make the car fly? :P

CFDruss

hehe, yeah, well spotted guest, the wings are in a bit of a strange set up, you have low pressure side on top, fly baby fly
Russell Harrison
Forced Convection Design Engineer, Comair Rotron Europe Ltd
CFD is based around assumptions; the accuracy of the solution depends not only on the knowledge of the mathematics behind the software but the assumptions the user makes!!!

Lauda

I don't know much about aero, but i want to learn everything about cad/CFD design of f1 cars, can you help me?

scarbs

Japanese Cradle CFD site, they've doen soem Ferrari F1, dome and other motorsport simulations. Attached is a F3 rear wing CFD...

http://www.cradle.co.jp/topics/20011225/Ttoda.htm

ah_chu
ah_chu

Front wing

Hi... i am a university student from Tokyo. I am interetsted paticulary in the arodynamics of front wing. i am wondering, is there any aerodynamic consideration behind utilisation of the spoon-shaped front wing? or merely to meet the new regulations? or other structural considerations? Are there any effects on the front wing characteristics and the rear part behind the front wing? what is the merit of using a spoon-shaped front wing compare to a flat one. Your infomation and guidance will be appreciated. Thankyou.

ah_chu80

Front wing

Hi... i am a university student from Tokyo. I am interetsted paticulary in the arodynamics of front wing. i am wondering, is there any aerodynamic consideration behind utilisation of the spoon-shaped front wing? or merely to meet the new regulations? or other structural considerations? Are there any effects on the front wing characteristics and the rear part behind the front wing? what is the merit of using a spoon-shaped front wing compare to a flat one. Your infomation and guidance will be appreciated. Thankyou.

nazo

cfdruss: how do you make objects to put into fluent? is ti with solidworks? and then you use gambit to put the grid? cause i am doing a fluent coursework on groundeffect but the object (with grid) was already give to us.
thanks man,
naz.
Nazario

schumiGO

HI all!

How are you, mates!
Is any good ideas?

West

Wow, you haven't posted in a while...

In fact not many "regulars" have.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Dear All,

This is the first time I am posting here, the forum is quite exciting filled with a lot of CFD enthusiasts.

I was wondering if I can get access to the front wing presented by CFD Russ (I think) in form of an IGES? The image file looked quite nice, however I would be interested to see if the aerofoil section is similar to the actual one.

Many Thanks in advance.

Miq

HIPPO

Models

Hye Guys,
This is my first post although I have been a member for more than 2 years now.

But I liked thhe subject specially that it was my senior project for my final year in my mechanical engineering B.E. It was a bit different as I studied the aerodynamics of a WRC spoiler.

This said, I would like to know which CAD software and which CFD software are you using.

Because I would like to try these simulations but I don't know if they would work as my CAD software is the Solid Edge and the CFD is the Fluent 5

Thanks in advance for your help