Outboard to inboard brakes ai flow

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Xwang

Outboard to inboard brakes ai flow

Hi to all,
I'm wondering what do you think about the possibility to force by rules to have a brake air flow which goes from outboard to inboard instead of the opposite which is commonly in use.
Since a lot of problems in following a car is due by the wideness of the wake, such a rule could create narrower wakes.

Xwang

Re: Outboard to inboard brakes ai flow

Moreover I remember that a lot of years ago (mid 90s - early 2000 ) there were some rumors about studies for using such an arrangement on normal cars with fan type wheels to push air from the side to the back of the car and hopefully reduce drag.

jjn9128

From 2021 the brake cooling will have to flow in and out on the inside for just the reason you mention. In fact the outward will be blocked by the wheel covers.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Xwang

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:07
From 2021 the brake cooling will have to flow in and out on the inside for just the reason you mention. In fact the outward will be blocked by the wheel covers.
I didn't know that detail.
I thought that the wheel covers were like the 2008 one with the outboard flow exit.

Blackout

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:07
Wont that hot air dust disturb the cooling system, or will it completely be sucked by the underfloor :?: :P

jjn9128

Blackout wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 10:12
Wont that hot air dust disturb the cooling system, or will it completely be sucked by the underfloor :?: :P
Shouldn't but might. Depends how badly optimized.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica