No more copying in F1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Zynerji

No more copying in F1

Big Tea

Re: No more copying in F1

There will be more time and cost in the court than on the track
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

Anyone got the text of the regulations? That website is just popups and spam.

Holm86

How on earth will that be reinforced??
Every team copy small bits from eachother.

godlameroso

Extremely vague rules are not fun at all.
Saishū kōnā

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote: ↑
09 Oct 2020, 22:09
It doesn't seem difficult to me!

Just design your own stuff and don't make like-for-like replicas of rival designs.

Zynerji

JordanMugen wrote: ↑
09 Oct 2020, 22:30

Just design your own stuff and don't make like-for-like replicas of rival designs.
And when you get it wrong, and are 2 sec slower than the leader, you just throw away the entire season?

Crazy

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote: ↑
09 Oct 2020, 22:39

And when you get it wrong, and are 2 sec slower than the leader, you just throw away the entire season?

Crazy
So a team puts a new 'device' on the car, and another team brings one out of the back room they had 'months ago'?

It may not have worked, but they had it and it is no longer available.

You could walk around the grid and tick off a dozen things that are 'copies', even if the designer had never seen them because they were being tested at the same time.

They just as well allow patents.

Zynerji

09 Oct 2020, 23:06

Crazy
So a team puts a new 'device' on the car, and another team brings one out of the back room they had 'months ago'?

You could walk around the grid and tick off a dozen things that are 'copies', even if the designer had never seen them because they were being tested at the same time.

And I'd also say that the entire field would have been behind Alpha Romeo with their outwash wings.

F1 has been losing me for years. Between this political nonsense and these rules, 2020 has just about put it to bed for me.

Sieper

Crazy

And that is how the pink mercedes came in to existence. Just what they had designed at RP, they had never seen the silver Mercedes cad data and it was just by chance they look a tad similar.

I applaud at least trying to put in writing this is not allowed. For now, it is allowed (Better said, not allowed but punished very lightly) for just one team to have a copied car run around in its b team while the other two big teams have followed the existing rules (apparently too strictly one could argue) for their b teams (AlphaTauri and Haas).

In this way hopefully the playing field is a bit more leveled. That is always better then not.

Zynerji

Sieper wrote: ↑
09 Oct 2020, 23:28

Crazy

And that is how the pink mercedes came in to existence. Just what they had designed at RP, they had never seen the silver Mercedes cad data and it was just by chance they look a tad similar.

I applaud at least trying to put in writing this is not allowed. For now, it is allowed (Better said, not allowed but punished very lightly) for just one team to have a copied car run around in its b team while the other two big teams have followed the existing rules (apparently too strictly one could argue) for their b teams (AlphaTauri and Haas).

In this way hopefully the playing field is a bit more leveled. That is always better then not.
Its just going to become a bully pulpit for the big teams to oppress the little teams even more. Watch them show up with 6 similar designs to testing, and litigate anything that is copied.

It's just an answer to appease the cry-babies that are currently running the show.

Just_a_fan

09 Oct 2020, 23:14

Crazy

And I'd also say that the entire field would have been behind Alpha Romeo with their outwash wings.

F1 has been losing me for years. Between this political nonsense and these rules, 2020 has just about put it to bed for me.
That would be Brawn GP then. They had the outwash front wing in 2009.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Sieper wrote: ↑
09 Oct 2020, 23:28

Crazy

Imagine had this been a rule when the double defuser Blown defuser etc came along? Or way before that when some one stuck a front wing on?

When someone cones up with a game changer, you better hope its your team.

Just_a_fan

The basic idea is interesting. The slots in the rear wing endplates that were common a few years ago? People think it was Renault. Nope, Minardi. Suddenly Minardi have half a second over the rest.

So a back-of-grid team comes up with a killer idea and no one is allowed to do anything similar? How is that different to the 2014 Merc PU etc? Oh, it isn't but people didn't mind then because it was all new new. Yay!

I can see the top teams turning up in pre-season testing with dozens of ideas. Most will be rubbish but all will prevent anyone else from using the idea and developing it.

Just_a_fan

09 Oct 2020, 23:43
Imagine had this been a rule when the double defuser Blown defuser etc came along?
The joke being that the diffuser was red herring. The outwash front wing was the game changer.