Underside for maximum downforce?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Uwe
Uwe

Underside for maximum downforce?

If there is no tehnical rules what is best theoretical design of underside for get maximum downforce for given car?

here is some solutions:
Last edited by Uwe on 22 Dec 2020, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Locock

Re: Underside for maximum downforce?

You need to buy a copy of Katz

Zynerji

Greg Locock wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 22:44
You need to buy a copy of Katz
I think i have that somewhere... :lol:

the EDGE

I believe Venturi tunnels with full side skirts would be the best possible solution

The design maximised the ground effect to a level I don’t think has ever been beat since they were banned in F1

Uwe
Uwe

the EDGE wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 22:53
I believe Venturi tunnels with full side skirts would be the best possible solution

The design maximised the ground effect to a level I don’t think has ever been beat since they were banned in F1
I dont know how to desing entry part,flat(left 1 picture) or lifted up(left 2 picture),and how long narrow section must be?
And do narrow section design flat or in curve line..?

Do F1 2022 has venturi tunnel shape?

the EDGE

Uwe wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 23:05
the EDGE wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 22:53

I dont know how to desing entry part,flat(left 1 picture) or lifted up(left 2 picture),and how long narrow section must be?
And do narrow section design flat or in curve line..?

Do F1 2022 has venturi tunnel shape?
Well I’m no expert but I’d say the second on the left or top right comb would be the closet diagram of a Venturi tunnel

They scoop at the front, compress, then expand for as much or the distance as you need

The skirts would be the full length and and close to ground you can get them

Greg Locock

you could run experiments in microcfd http://microcfd.com/2d.htm to find out whether the traditional venturi shape is optimal, and how much it is affected by the nose and upper body.

Uwe
Uwe

Greg Locock wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 23:18
you could run experiments in microcfd http://microcfd.com/2d.htm to find out whether the traditional venturi shape is optimal, and how much it is affected by the nose and upper body.
I dont know work with CFD.

Just_a_fan

Be worth looking at history too. The sports car prototypes often struggled to get the expected performance with growing diffuser size. Took them a while to figure out how to get it all working. Bigger doesn't automatically mean better.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 01:45
Be worth looking at history too. The sports car prototypes often struggled to get the expected performance with growing diffuser size. Took them a while to figure out how to get it all working. Bigger doesn't automatically mean better.
I believe the trick they found was increasing the mass airflow helped most.

toraabe

Zynerji wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 07:14
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 01:45
I believe the trick they found was increasing the mass airflow helped most.
Ross Brawn and John Piper who designed the xjr14 came up with a very clever idea on how to seal the floor. They put a flap between the front and rear tyres. This can be traced to the new f1 cars on sealing the floor. Same idea...

Uwe
Uwe

left picture has short narrow section,right has long narrow section..

Narrow section I call part of underside wich is close to the ground..

Which option produce max downforce?
Last edited by Uwe on 22 Dec 2020, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

Stu

Uwe wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 14:15
If there is no tehnical rules what is best theoretical design of underside for get maximum downforce for given car?

here is some solutions:
https://images.pexels.com/photos/622541 ... =650&w=940

You need to think in three dimensions and (almost) treat the front of the car as a separate entity to the rear (but not at the expense of the rear!).
The position and shape/size of the ‘throat’ will determine the sensitivity of the downforce generated and the CoP location.
The design of the inlet will determine the potential of the system, and the outlet the efficiency of the system.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Uwe
Uwe

Stu wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 10:46

You need to think in three dimensions and (almost) treat the front of the car as a separate entity to the rear (but not at the expense of the rear!).
The position and shape/size of the ‘throat’ will determine the sensitivity of the downforce generated and the CoP location.
The design of the inlet will determine the potential of the system, and the outlet the efficiency of the system.

Does throat section must be curved or straight?
Wherse is center of pressure of underside,at throat?

So if I want to load front and back part equal,then I must put throat in the middle?

toraabe

If you look at the Mercedes c11 downforce, it was stable and didn't shift when braking or turning.