Performance of a Tuned Mass Damper on the Renault Formula1 car

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
pranav3097

Performance of a Tuned Mass Damper on the Renault Formula1 car

The Renault F1 team (Renault Sport Racing) used damping technology from buildings to gain a competitive advantage over their rivals. In this video, I analyse how Renault used a mass damper to reduce oscillations of the front wing. Using a quarter car model, I studied the effect of a mass damper on a Formula 1 car in both, the time domain and frequency domain.

Greg Locock

Re: Performance of a Tuned Mass Damper on the Renault Formula1 car

Just a tiny little hint. Every production car has at least one TMD. They were patented in 1912. Citroen used them on the suspension of the 2CV in 1948 rather than using conventional shock absorbers.

joshuagore

Greg Locock wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 00:02
Just a tiny little hint. Every production car has at least one TMD. They were patented in 1912. Citroen used them on the suspension of the 2CV in 1948 rather than using conventional shock absorbers.
The other day I was fumbling around the bottom of a Subaru WRX and a giant rubber coated piece of steel fell off the rear subframe, because of rust. I wondered what this chunk of metal was for, now I realize it was a tuned mass damper.

Greg Locock

A certain manufacturer, no names, no pack drill, oh OK it was BMW, had a 5 kg TMD in the bumpers of one of their cars. 5 kg. We were rolling around on the floor of the lab when we found that. Ultimate driving machine, with extra ground hugging weight.

graham.reeds

My Cayman has one attached to the rear boot lid.