F1 static setup - DTI gauges on setup zimmer frames?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
slipstream

F1 static setup - DTI gauges on setup zimmer frames?

Hi F1 technical friends

Anyone have an actual answer for the use of DTI gauges you can see that are part of the extension of the setup zimmer frames. The DTI gauge itself then rests on a flat surface on the setup wheel, so indeed they would measure that corner vertical movement, but what is the setup parameter that is being checked. I get the idea of the tracking bars that can then be stringed to the rear bar for toe measurement, its just the actual use for the DTI gauge.

Stu

Re: F1 static setup - DTI gauges on setup zimmer frames?

I was going to say ride height, but then thought how stupid it sounded!! 😂
I wonder if they are measuring the ‘jacking’ effect of the offset pushrod
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

slipstream

Re: F1 static setup - DTI gauges on setup zimmer frames?

Hi Stu,

Guess that measuring the 'jacking' effect is a possible cause, but I would imagine that is not the detail work that the mechanics would worry about during a static setup. The boffins doing the analysis on suspension programs would figure that all out.

I think it must be more... simple than that, the mechanics must be checking some parameter that seems to be standard now going down the formula ladder. The F3 setup Zimmer frames even have them, so yes, corner ride height change, but in what context are they measuring this movement if you know what I mean.

The current ride height checks as I understand it, is drop heights, done by a straight edge stretched across each tyre top (or setup plates as commonly used now), and measuring the drop from the straight edge down to some defined surface on the tub. Therefore an increase in drop height is actually worked out like for like as a decrease in ride height on that axle.

Still has me puzzled??