Rear wing of F1's 2020 car.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Ph4nt0m47

Rear wing of F1's 2020 car.

Greetings,
I am currently working on a project "CFD analysis of Rear wing of a F1's 2020 car" for my Bachelor's Degree. I was wondering that, does anyone happen to know the Cd, Cl, Drag and Downforce of the 2020's car? It would be valuabe to compare the results.
I am not looking for a exact value, just a certain range would be enough.
Thank you. :D

jjn9128

Re: Rear wing of F1's 2020 car.

Ph4nt0m47 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 10:02
Greetings,
I am currently working on a project "CFD analysis of Rear wing of a F1's 2020 car" for my Bachelor's Degree. I was wondering that, does anyone happen to know the Cd, Cl, Drag and Downforce of the 2020's car? It would be valuabe to compare the results.
Thank you. :D
In short nobody outside teams will know. But a ClA of 7.5-8 is about what we think they produced with L/D~5.5 so CdA is ~1.4-1.45

Rear wings produce 20-25% of downforce and 25-30% of drag.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Ph4nt0m47

This information is valuable to me.
Thank you for the help. :)

JordanMugen

Ph4nt0m47 wrote:
Greetings,
Thank you.
Did you use a Benzing aerofoil profile to start with for your two-element wing? I think a Benzing profile would be a good place to start. :)

http://www.benzing.it/enrico.profili.htm

Are you going to run it through some 2D optimisation somehow, before designing the complete wing with the fancy louvred Formula 1 endplate? Did you note the fancy little details they fit into the wing spacer, for instance, that cascade of three wing elements between the yellow Renault main upper plane and the endplate? :)

Ph4nt0m47

JordanMugen wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 20:05
Ph4nt0m47 wrote:
Greetings,
Thank you.
Did you use a Benzing aerofoil profile to start with for your two-element wing? I think a Benzing profile would be a good place to start. :)

http://www.benzing.it/enrico.profili.htm

Are you going to run it through some 2D optimisation somehow, before designing the complete wing with the fancy louvred Formula 1 endplate? Did you note the fancy little details they fit into the wing spacer, for instance, that cascade of three wing elements between the yellow Renault main upper plane and the endplate? :)

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 2537-9.jpg
Greeting,

Yes, I am using a Benzing airfoils for my rear wing. I came to know about the Benzing airfoils recently, before this i was using CH10sm as my main element.

For now I am just am doing a 2D analysis just with the 2 wing elements but I am also working on the endplates. Once its done, I will go for 3D analysis and yes, I did note the 3 wing element between the upper plane and the endplate, I don't know about the wing spacer and the elements used there. Can you please explain about the dimensions and uses of this to me? :)

Thank you.

jjn9128

Ph4nt0m47 wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 06:59
Greeting,

Yes, I am using a Benzing airfoils for my rear wing. I came to know about the Benzing airfoils recently, before this i was using CH10sm as my main element.

For now I am just am doing a 2D analysis just with the 2 wing elements but I am also working on the endplates. Once its done, I will go for 3D analysis and yes, I did note the 3 wing element between the upper plane and the endplate, I don't know about the wing spacer and the elements used there. Can you please explain about the dimensions and uses of this to me? :)

Thank you.
Have a look at the regulations - the bit of the rear wing where only 2 elements are allowed has a span of 1010mm while the whole wing can be 1050mm wide. So there's a small volume at the tip where teams are free. It helps to reduce load a bit at the tip and reduce induced drag.

The Church-Hollinger aerofoil doesn't look too bad, the Benzing wings may have been designed specifically for motorsport, but a fair while ago. Teams have designed their own wing sections for a long time. There are some rear wing shots in the old Manor/Marussia threads
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21750&hilit=maruss ... &start=180
viewtopic.php?p=578295#p578295

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Stu

One thing that I have noticed with the latest (post 2014) cars is that the main wing elements (both front and rear) have a much shorter chord than previously (with the 2-plane rear wings having almost identical chord & plan area).
I get that front wings have become much less ‘windy’ and more biased towards ground effect devices, but with the rear wing is this driven by the DRS effectiveness or is it regulation driven?
Also how much does the rear wing interact with the floor (there is quite a gap!) & is the primary effect of the slots/flaps/wings mounted to the top of the diffuser to increase wing/floor interaction?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

jjn9128

Stu wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 11:52
One thing that I have noticed with the latest (post 2014) cars is that the main wing elements (both front and rear) have a much shorter chord than previously (with the 2-plane rear wings having almost identical chord & plan area).
I get that front wings have become much less ‘windy’ and more biased towards ground effect devices, but with the rear wing is this driven by the DRS effectiveness or is it regulation driven?
Also how much does the rear wing interact with the floor (there is quite a gap!) & is the primary effect of the slots/flaps/wings mounted to the top of the diffuser to increase wing/floor interaction?
The rear wing flap has to be shorter than the mainplane by regulation. This only has to be by 1mm so if you look at Monza spec wings (esp the red bull) the chords of mp and flap are almost identical. I believe the main shrinking of the flap chord is to do with DRS.

The suction bubble under the wing is quite big so it "talks" to the diffuser by lowering the base pressure of the car. It's easier with a lower beam wing because diffuser is closer to the peak suction under the wing. The flaps at the rear of the diffuser are absolutely trying to do the same thing - create a lower pressure behind the diffuser to draw more air through at a lower pressure.
#aerogandalf

Ph4nt0m47

jjn9128 wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 10:55
Ph4nt0m47 wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 06:59
Greeting,

Thank you.
Have a look at the regulations - the bit of the rear wing where only 2 elements are allowed has a span of 1010mm while the whole wing can be 1050mm wide. So there's a small volume at the tip where teams are free. It helps to reduce load a bit at the tip and reduce induced drag.

The Church-Hollinger aerofoil doesn't look too bad, the Benzing wings may have been designed specifically for motorsport, but a fair while ago. Teams have designed their own wing sections for a long time. There are some rear wing shots in the old Manor/Marussia threads
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21750&hilit=maruss ... &start=180
viewtopic.php?p=578295#p578295

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/283/31881 ... ff5d_z.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8825/170 ... a17c_k.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8752/170 ... 4255_k.jpg
Thank you for sharing this information. :)

jjn9128

I also recommend this research paper by Richard Aiguabella Macau - F1 aerodynamicist I think at Ferrari now - on rear wing optimization.
https://upcommons.upc.edu/bitstream/han ... zation.pdf
#aerogandalf

Ph4nt0m47

jjn9128 wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 16:45
I also recommend this research paper by Richard Aiguabella Macau - F1 aerodynamicist I think at Ferrari now - on rear wing optimization.
https://upcommons.upc.edu/bitstream/han ... zation.pdf
Sure, will look into that.
Thank you for sharing! :)