How the bodywork rules shape Formula 1 cars

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jjn9128

Re: How the bodywork rules shape Formula 1 cars

JordanMugen wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 11:54
Why no appetite from Technical Working Group to eliminate the volume dedicated to bargeboards entirely (and eliminate the neutral centre wing section and Y250 while they are at it)? :?: Wouldn't the racing be a lot more fun if all the teams struggled to control the wakes from their front tyres?
You mean with the 2019 change? I don't know why the bargeboard volume wasn't reduced in size, or set a minimum wetted area, or a minimum outwash angle like the front wing endplates. Anyone could see the reduced outwash from the front wing would just be translated back to more complex bargeboards.

As for the Y250, there's a reason I suggested to FOM about attaching the front wing to the nose. Having the FIA section is good for reducing downforce loss in the wake of another car. I might have made teams blend that into the wing section in the 2019 change though, rather than keep the discontinuity and vortex generating capability.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wesley123

Zynerji wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 19:08
Jolle wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 17:56
Zynerji wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 17:40

That's precisely why data sharing would fix the issue. Go ahead and spend $1B on your car... Everyone else will just copy the design, and we wouldn't end up with "Dynasties" that end up being just boring af...
Fun idea for club racing, for formula one I don’t see any of the sponsors/investors/teams willing to invest anything just to be given free to their rivals.
What about all of the FREE stuff they get from the other teams? I give one, get nine in return. That sounds like a GREAT DEAL for everyone involved...
Sounds great in theory. What you'd most likely get is 10 almost identical cars, where the difference comes down to who has the best understanding of their car; the most resourceful team. Not only are you spending a whole lot of money for what is essentially a near-spec series(i'll use this argument to hate on the 22 ruleset as well)
That's the point as well. Maybe the teams should NOT have the voice that they currently do, as it is impossible for them to vote without bias. Publish rules, sign up or dont. It's the belief that certain teams "can't" be lost that has led to the current, awful, spending situation.
I think contestants should have a say in what they are in for. Not only because it's reasonable, but also because that is part of F1. In my opinion the situation we are now in comes from one thing alone; listening to fans. It has lead to endless jojoing asking for things that can't possibly be done. I'm gonna call it right now; the majority of the 2022 complaints will be that 1. the cars are really slow and 2. they'll look very similar and/or show little technical development.

Outside of that, looking at social media it seems that excitement is decided by solely one thing; who's on the podium. If it is the status quo the race is boring, regardless of what happens, if it isn't the status quo on the podium the race will be considered exciting. To somehow expect this will change for 2022 is unrealistic. You'll still have teams that are more resourceful than others.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Zynerji

wesley123 wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 21:44
Zynerji wrote:
Jolle wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 17:56

Fun idea for club racing, for formula one I don’t see any of the sponsors/investors/teams willing to invest anything just to be given free to their rivals.
What about all of the FREE stuff they get from the other teams? I give one, get nine in return. That sounds like a GREAT DEAL for everyone involved...
Sounds great in theory. What you'd most likely get is 10 almost identical cars, where the difference comes down to who has the best understanding of their car; the most resourceful team. Not only are you spending a whole lot of money for what is essentially a near-spec series(i'll use this argument to hate on the 22 ruleset as well)
That's the point as well. Maybe the teams should NOT have the voice that they currently do, as it is impossible for them to vote without bias. Publish rules, sign up or dont. It's the belief that certain teams "can't" be lost that has led to the current, awful, spending situation.
I think contestants should have a say in what they are in for. Not only because it's reasonable, but also because that is part of F1. In my opinion the situation we are now in comes from one thing alone; listening to fans. It has lead to endless jojoing asking for things that can't possibly be done. I'm gonna call it right now; the majority of the 2022 complaints will be that 1. the cars are really slow and 2. they'll look very similar and/or show little technical development.

Outside of that, looking at social media it seems that excitement is decided by solely one thing; who's on the podium. If it is the status quo the race is boring, regardless of what happens, if it isn't the status quo on the podium the race will be considered exciting. To somehow expect this will change for 2022 is unrealistic. You'll still have teams that are more resourceful than others.
I think we just need to agree that we have different perspectives. I fix businesses for a living, so I know what I would do.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Actually, that has been 99% of my professional career... People keep calling me tho, so the outcomes must be desirable! 😂

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 04:04
wesley123 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I think we just need to agree that we have different perspectives. I fix businesses for a living, so I know what I would do.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Actually, that has been 99% of my professional career... People keep calling me tho, so the outcomes must be desirable! 😂
Just imagine the pitch to your investors: if you invest 20 millions into this company you won’t have any guaranty that it will work out as well extra exposure, because our rivals can copy the fruits of your investment instantly.

Like a company that has a public listing of their clients, together with the offers and contracts.

jjn9128

Am I imagining things or does this article feel quite familiar? :lol: :lol:

GARY ANDERSON: HOW NARROW NOSES BECAME F1’S TEMPLATE
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 13:07
Zynerji wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 04:04
wesley123 wrote:

Just imagine the pitch to your investors: if you invest 20 millions into this company you won’t have any guaranty that it will work out as well extra exposure, because our rivals can copy the fruits of your investment instantly.

Like a company that has a public listing of their clients, together with the offers and contracts.
Yes. Exactly.

The teams get 1-2B$ worth of world advertising as of now for their spend (Toto's numbers).

Lowering the "cost" for each team would only make it much more worthwhile.