Blowing pressures of AJVG of F1 rear wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Karamal Kid

Blowing pressures of AJVG of F1 rear wing

Hi I'm studying Aeronautical Engineering and my final year project is on the flow over a rear F1 wing and I would be grateful if somebody out there could share their experiences on the blowing pressures often used for the AJVG's.

pabs

F1 cars use AJVGs? or is this somethinhg new that you're trying?

Anyways, my work with AJVGs is limited to supersonic flow control. In that regime, we require very large stagnation pressures (~200 psig) to get noticeable effects. Obviously, I'm working with underexpanded supersonic jets.

For low speed flow control, I should think you can get away with much less than that. In fact, I guess about 10-20 psi over atmospheric should do the trick rather nicely. You might even want to try synthetic jets.

There's quite a few papers out there on jets-in-crossflow. You might want to do a quick survey and see if any of that research applies to you. My guess is that you want to use the counter-rotating vortex pair downstream of the jet to energize the boundary layer. If that's the case, then you should also think about placement of the jets since the interaction between vortices makes them dissipate very quickly.

Anyways, those are just some introductory thoughts. Hope it helps.