Front wings and end plates...

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
scarbs

The wavy pattern front wing has NOT been adopted on the BAR “concept” car, this format is a new direction for the curved (or spoon) front wings, where the middle of the wing dipped in the middle. Instead the wavy or “W” Format wing has a raised middle sections and two dips in the outer sections. The theory being the lower sections produce more downforce and as a result a more turbulent wake, this is picked up by the bargeboards and directed away from the main flow over the centre of the car. While a curved (Spoon) Wing may produce more downforce as the dipped sections is allowed even closer to the ground, it has an adverse effect on the flow under the car and into the sidepods, so creating an over all dirtier aerodynamic car.

BAR have adopted the wavy lip along the side of the front wing endplates (I can see a mix up in our naming here). This design was brought out by Ben Agathangelou at Renault and subsequently Jaguar. Since then most teams have adopted it. The lower edge of the front wing endplate (FWEP) usually extends sideways to meet the maximum permitted width, the flat lip serves to act as a splitter to keep higher pressure spilling under the endplate to the underside of the front wing. I’m not sure how wave added to the recent batch of FWEPs works, As the channel formed is usually consistent along itself I doubt it is creating a vortex or unusual flow condition from its rear end (Although Ferrari and Renault have shaped this channel into a venturi). SO All I can offer as to a suggestion right now is that the curve adds surface area to the lip and hence acts to deters even more air passing under the endplate.

can somewone explain all the parts off a f1 car ?

thanks

scarbs

I'm trying...... http://www.scarbsf1.com

thanks scarbs

Mikacouli

scarbs wrote:I'm trying...... http://www.scarbsf1.com
you are very good man.For me it is very usefull. :wink:
all hopes on the MP4/24

supertec

Thanks scarbs.. that was great. :P

drspeed

The front wing you mentioned sounds like those used by Williams and Mclaren back in 2002.

I was wondering, couldnt it be that spooned wings produce dirtier airflow under the wing because of the single keel design they use such as Ferrari, Renault, Minardi and Bar? Does it depend on what kind of keel design they use?

mirdavanfe

Mikacouli wrote:
scarbs wrote:I'm trying...... http://www.scarbsf1.com
you are very good man.For me it is very usefull. :wink:

this is the funiest signature i have seen in a long long while!!! :D