WOW CFD

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
AeroF1

WOW CFD

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

Have you seen the new CFD from CFDRuss in the sticky thread. Its brill

Is he good at CFD??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow

John

Engine
Engine

Im just looking at it, Its nice, but everyone thinks CFDRuss is great....why, Im sure CFD cant be hard, its only plotting a few lines and stuff isnt it??

Steven
Owner

let's say he isn't a mod for nothing ;)
Congrats to russ again

Have fun studying it you all :D
After all that is the main reason we put it online for you

Monstrobolaxa

Engine....well not quite.....first you have to draw the part you want to test....then you have to convert it into a file that the CFD program can use....then you should know a little of fluid dynamics to interpret the results and set the parametres......

Well I'm going to have a classe called computerized mechanics next year, with is the same as CFD.....hopefully by then I already have an idea of how it works...

KeithYoung

I just love hearing that people are getting something from this, you guys have no idea how much work it takes for Russ and I to make this available to you. Engine, the more you learn of CAD and CFD, the more you realise YOU KNOW NOTHING! I have been doing CAD for a long time, and in highschool I thought I knew it all and was the best around at it. Well I was for my age then I got out in the real world.... I can be labeled an expert in Unigraphics, yet at the same time there are other designers using the same program that I can look at and say "you are worth twice what I am". Every item (as far as I know) that Russ has run I had to model, some were easy to do, some were not, and there are different aspects to easy. Some can be simple to create, but very hard to make clean for example.

THEN once that is done (easy I am sure...) Russ does his work... You have to be able to mesh these giants!! I have only been able to mesh a few bluff bodies, I never figured out how to mesh the wings like Russ did. You cannot realise what a nightmare meshing is untill you have tried it twice, both times pulling out all your hair. After meshing, you have to go through a very complicated process. Yes, after a little practice you could make lines apear, thats basically all I am capable of doing. Russ however knows all the aspects of the surfaces and the fluid itself. I was having trouble with a model stalling and he said something about different equations and a bunch of stuff I dont know like Laminar flow etc. You have to know all the variables of the fluid and what each equation does. It is very complicated stuff and I think he should get more credit for it.

I would like to point out this post was not aimed at any particular reader but to everyone. This stuff isnt easy to do, but it is our pleasure to do it. Running a site isnt easy but Tomba does a good job and does it for free so you can have a place to reach rare peices of information like what we provide. Tomba writes articles, scarbs does everything hehe, and we do it without pay (well most of what we see in this site I dont think scarbs is paid to do). Again I love to hear it helps you, I wished when I started into F1 tech that I could have access to this, I am glad I can be a tiny part of what makes it available. If anyone else would like to help we are always looking. Most of you have good skills, we could make the best of all this available and become a team helping eachother learn. I am helping Russ learn cad, and soon he will help me learn CFD.

Again, any helpers please contact Russ, Tomba, or me. Any advice will be apreciated, such as things you would like to see us model then evaulate, or how to evaluate. We can make this a better place to learn, we have the tools and the talent.

Thanks

Keith

Steven
Owner

just for the record... if there are people that are willing to help and post some news periodically, please send me a mail at webmaster@f1technical.net :)

CFDruss

Thanks for your support guys

Now can someone get me a job!!!! haha

Russ

sandstorm
sandstorm

New CFD

Where are the new pics that Russ did that you guys are referring to? I only see his previous ones of the front wing analysis, which were magnificent by the way.

PS: As Keith said, neither CAD OR CFD is easy. It can get VERY complex very fast. This comes from somebody with 10+ years of experience in CAD.

sandstorm
sandstorm

Russ new CFD work

Nevermind, I found it!! :oops:

Beostar

nice CFD stuff there CFDruss :)
Hope you get a job real soon. Or maybe you can give this site up for reference on you next c.v :)

Greetings
Beo
"The track is mine you may have it when I'm done"
"First law of computer programming : The user is a complete idiot"
"Don't confuse luck with skill."