Ferrari brake duct\wheel fairings (silverstone)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
overdrayv

this video explains how it works (in Italian)

http://mediacenter.gazzetta.it/MediaCen ... =REDAZIONE

manchild

It is not firmly secured at all. I saw a mechanic moving it in right position AFTER the nut was tightened! Even more, it extends beyond width of rim (unlike rear "ducting").

allan

manchild wrote:It is not firmly secured at all. I saw a mechanic moving it in right position AFTER the nut was tightened! Even more, it extends beyond width of rim (unlike rear "ducting").
you are right. I saw that too. But i also noticed it sort of "clicked" once it'd reached the 27 degrees angle, where it was fixed. That video by the way did not explain how it is being held in place :S

Downforce

I saw a mechanic moving it in right position AFTER the nut was tightened!
He locked it with that movement.

HKS

So far so good for the Scarlets :) :wink:

Militia Est Vita

Cool inovation, yet in terms of stethics I still think they just don't go with the beauty of the sport. No, if these shields are not banned I wonder if they will survive or be efficient after the proposed 50% downforce cut mentiones on the 2011 regulations :-s
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy --- we don't need. - Tyler Durden - Fight Club.

deluge

If I can summarize my understanding. The wheel nut holds the wheel on, but it also has an auxillary function to hold the "brake device" on. The device is anchored to the nut by locking it in place by the pit tech, by rotating into place after the wheel nut is completly engaged (tight).

So, no movable aero device.

If it does provide aero advantage, beyond the mechanical advantage of brake cooling, that point is moot, becaues it is a fixed device.

Is this the correct understanding?

Does it in fact provide mechanical or aero advantage? If not both, which does it provide. And if it does provide an advantage of either type, why haven't others coiped this desiign.
If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Nick2334

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum daily for a few months now but have never posted anything. I have a question I would really like answered so I thought I'd throw it on here.

From what little I know about race car dynamics there is one thing that I have read multiple times: at all cost, reduce the unsprung weight. From my understanding, these rims and the larger/more complex wheel nuts required for them all come in as unsprung weight.

Do you guys think that the small aero advantage or increased cooling provided by these rim covers would offset the negative effects of the weight?

(bit of a trick question, as Ferrari who know far more than what can hypothesize about obviously think so)

joseff

I've been considering the same thing, and the only explanation I can come up with is that F1 suspensions don't really move that much, so unsprung weight don't matter *that* much.

The other thing is of course rotational inertia, but given that the heaviest additional mass (the wheel nut) is in the center, it's not a worry.

mini696

Nick2334 wrote:Hey guys, I've been reading this forum daily for a few months now but have never posted anything. I have a question I would really like answered so I thought I'd throw it on here.

From what little I know about race car dynamics there is one thing that I have read multiple times: at all cost, reduce the unsprung weight. From my understanding, these rims and the larger/more complex wheel nuts required for them all come in as unsprung weight.

Do you guys think that the small aero advantage or increased cooling provided by these rim covers would offset the negative effects of the weight?

(bit of a trick question, as Ferrari who know far more than what can hypothesize about obviously think so)
First off OT... Let me thank you for such a great first post, with out any fanboy, "oh they are illegal" blah blah blah. Welcome to the forums.

Back OT... Ferrari must believe that the weigh disadvantages are less than the aero gains. I assume the aero gains include smaller brake ducts, plus the obvious smoother flow over the rims.

The weight difference would be very minimal anyway, and with the cars well under the minimum the only losses they are getting is from the extra sprung weight. The loss in mechanical grip would be almost insignificant.

They must also believe the extra stuffing around the front tyre-guy has to do when changing the wheel is worth the risk. Seeing him being distracted for a second or so when the plate fell out of the gun in Kimi's first stop, made me wonder whether the risk is worth it.

FuzzyDice

Can anyone explain aero adventages beside smoother flow around the wheel. i heard that hot air from the breaks goes under the car and producing more downforce? Thanks

johny

here's the f1.com technical explanation

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 8/444.html

FuzzyDice

I saw that but i was hoping for more detailed explanation :D Thanks anyway

Jersey Tom

With regard to unsprung weight.. reducing it is critical to get more mechanical grip. These cars however are dominated by aero grip, and I'd say the more they can get out of it the better. Whatever loss in mechanical grip they get is offset by some sort of increased performance elsewhere.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.