New F2004 Front Wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hit_guy

New F2004 Front Wing

Is it just me or did everbody notice that the new F2004 front wing was a bit higher above the ground than last years .Could it provide some extra downforceby raising the wing a bit higher.
Any comments

Its just you! :P

dumrick

Maybe not.
Go to the thread concerning the new car, compare the photos posted comparing the F2003-GA and the F2004, and notice carefully the wing near the endplates. It touches them in a higher level than last year's car, so it's really more curved upwards from the centre to the sides.
It's a configuration that tries to achieve the same results as those from McLaren, Williams and Renaul(R24). All of those have wings that are far from the down end of the endplates.
What I really don't recall is if the F2003-GA's wing has been modified in the course oh the season (the photo is from last year's launch).

akbar21881

the wing on launched car was always the wing from the last race from the previous season.when the car hit the track,it will always look different,especially on 2002 car.hopefully this gonna be the same this year.i would like to see a new front and rear wing, as well as different bargeboard because the sidepod opening is different,how come the bargeboard design is still the same?so we wait and see :D

rumpelstulskin

akbar, you mean that the melbourne car might look different from the launched car?
but then what is the point of this launch?

Irvingthien

Could it provide some extra downforceby raising the wing a bit higher.
The lower the wing the more downforce it generates.That's why FIA stated that front wings must be higher from in 2001 onwards. The ppurpose is to reduce the cornering speed.
[/quote]

scarbs

The team have said the front wing, bargeboards and rear end will be significantly different from the launch car. They ar enot on the launch car, simply as they have only just frozen the design and started to cut the tooling patterns.

akbar21881

rumpelstulskin wrote:akbar, you mean that the melbourne car might look different from the launched car?
but then what is the point of this launch?
If you follow the Ferrari launch, and comparing that car with the one that appear on the track later,you will understand.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word here,I shouldn't use word car,it should be car's aero and mech package.

If you see the 2001 car during the launch, the front wing is flat,not the curved one that appear for the rest of the season.I read somewhere in magazine,saying that flat wing is from the suzuka 2000.

The same thing happen in 2002.If you see F2002 during launch,there is no flip up,no winglet,and different front wing.When it finally hit the track a few days later,the car got a new sharp edge front wing(like it is till now in 2003 car),its got flip up and its got winglet.

Thats why I said the car will look different by the time it reaches Melbourne.Its not a different car, so the point of launching the car is to show the new car to the press,not necessarily it is the definite package that will later hit the track.

Hope this answer you question.
Cheers

Steven
Owner

however they may claim they are working on new components, I am sure Ferrari has some ready by now.
I just think they like to hold off spying during the presentation, by replacing more interesting new parts with older items.

This may also explain the "radical nose" that Todt said the new F2004 would have. Maybe we will see that in the near future...
I don't know really what to think of it, it may be just publicity of course, but since Antonia Terzi, the Williams inventor of the tusked nose, I would not be surprised that Ferrari was already aware of that design fylosophy from the time Antonia still worked at Ferrari

Just speculation here of course, but it could be...

SpeedTech

Good point regarding Antonia Terzi, considering he did work for Ferrari. Wonder if he did do any research of the tusked front nose while at Ferrari...mmmmmm :?

SpeedTech wrote:Good point regarding Antonia Terzi, considering he did work for Ferrari. Wonder if he did do any research of the tusked front nose while at Ferrari...mmmmmm :?
You mean "she."

Why does a lower wing make downforce than as if it was raised a few cm? Is it because it allows a smaller cross-sectional area underneath?

Scuderia_Russ

Re:Antonia Terzi.......i would!! :twisted:
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Anonymous wrote:
SpeedTech wrote:Good point regarding Antonia Terzi, considering he did work for Ferrari. Wonder if he did do any research of the tusked front nose while at Ferrari...mmmmmm :?
You mean "she."

Why does a lower wing make downforce than as if it was raised a few cm? Is it because it allows a smaller cross-sectional area underneath?
Yeh, the smaller cross sectional area under the wing means that air flow velocity increases. This results in a lower pressure under the wing and more downforce.

In the ol' days, the wings were as close to the ground as possible to maximise this effect.

Satchmo

I don't think one can gleen too much from the height of the new wing. First off, anybody notice how high the ride height is set? Maybe to throw people off, or just get the car through the studio. Bring that down to a reasonable level and the wing comes down appreciably with it. I think this wing seen is the new design, although it will no doubt go through many iterations in the next month. Notice how "jagged" the trailing edge is. Other than that, it is more or less not an unusual looking front wing, save for Ferrari's nack for making everything they build look exquisite in design & workmanship.[/b]

Reca

New front wing this morning in Fiorano. From what I’ve seen on tv (I’ve registered in LP mode so quality isn’t good), endplates are very similar to the design seen on the Mp4/19, vertical in the upper part and enlarged under the conjunction with the main element. Also the main element is different, quite horizontal closer to the endplate and then, about 20 cm or so from the tip there’s a step and then the element is curved with a spoon design, less accentuated than in the past. Hope you’ve got the idea.