Materials in F1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Steven
Owner

Materials in F1

hi people,
since I might not be the only one, I'll ask for it here ;)

I have to make a project about materials and resource products used in formula one. We know all the traditional carbon fibre stuff and titanium gearboxes, but are there other aspects to it? Things I'm missing? Berillium could be a good idea too :)

Information, ideas and resources welcome (as always) ;)

I heard Ferrari complained about McLaren's use of beryllium and the FIA banned it shortly thereafter. Beryllium, I think, is lighter than titanium and aluminum and yet is stronger.

Everybody should know that carbon fiber is much lighter than steel and has a higher stiffness rating as well. I forgot what the scaling is called (haven't taken material sciences for a long time). It's just that when carbon fiber reaches its breaking point, it shatters as opposed to steel bending.

Monstrobolaxa

But Beryllium is radioactive....if I'm not mistaken......

Don't forget Magnesium, gold foil (high heat reflectant).....

scarbs

MMC is the material whos use is on the increase, plus Inconnel....
Also methods of forming... Titanium (i.e. cast) or forged magensium (Wheels) .

Dont forget good old steel and alumium, Luca Marmorini told me they use one steel that dates back to the second world war.!

West

Monstrobolaxa wrote:But Beryllium is radioactive....if I'm not mistaken......

If it is radioactive, there's still nothing wrong w a Black and Silver and sometimes Green McLaren.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

NickT

The real advances are in surface coatings particularly DLC(diamond like coatings) The coatings being used today are allowing light weight materials to be used in very hostile operating conditions. 4 or even 3 years ago these items would have simply disintigrated or worn away. A good example is the cam follower

The other area where coating technology is being used is the elimination of bearings. Gudgon pins that connect the piston to the conrod are being run directly in the conrod without traditional bearings, simplifying the design, reducing its size and mass and allowing more effiency and or speed! The same is true of cam shafts, most are being run directly in the head casting without any form of tradional type bearings!

NB: I read recently that if you take a conventional steel file and coat it in DLC it effectively becomes the equivelent of a diamond file!
NickT

Gliderpilot

West wrote:

If it is radioactive, there's still nothing wrong w a Black and Silver and sometimes Green McLaren.
Beryllium (9Be) is not radioactive as opposed to the other isotopes. The problem with that material is that, in a fire, it will convert into beryllium oxide - which is VERY toxic. In case of an engine with beryllium blows up in a race, many many spectators could get very sick.

http://www.speclab.com/elements/beryllium.htm

I was just thinking, if beryllium was radioactive, that when Kimi gets 2nd in the race, Peter Windsor would ask during the post-race conference:

"Kimi... you seem to be omitting green light... are you green w/ jealousy?"

Kimi: "Uhhh... yeah I guess you can say that *cough*"

Steven
Owner

Not to be forgotten... Nomex, the fireprotective material in race suits ;)

pompelmo

Gliderpilot wrote:
West wrote:

Beryllium (9Be) is not radioactive as opposed to the other isotopes. The problem with that material is that, in a fire, it will convert into beryllium oxide - which is VERY toxic. In case of an engine with beryllium blows up in a race, many many spectators could get very sick.

http://www.speclab.com/elements/beryllium.htm

I think that FIA or F1 no longer cares about the spectators any more!
They only care about them geting large sums of money!!!

Yust see how the drivers a behaving on driver's parade-they don't give a --- about (us) spectators that they live of!

Monstrobolaxa

Living and learning :P

none
none

kevlar

If the F1 have so much money why dont they make more parts from kevlar, its strong and light but im not sure if it bends to keep strength, mind you it does have strong H-bonds

Irvingthien

If the F1 have so much money why dont they make more parts from kevlar, its strong and light
That would make F1 cars go faster. What the FIA is trying to do now is to make the cars slow. That why they have new rules concerning the rear wing and the engine cover this season.

More materials:
-Uranium to reach the minimum weight. (It is a very dense material, so in a very small amuont of volume you have a lot of weight=smaller)

Gliderpilot

pompelmo wrote:I think that FIA or F1 no longer cares about the spectators any more!
They only care about them geting large sums of money!!!

Yust see how the drivers a behaving on driver's parade-they don't give a --- about (us) spectators that they live of!
If a berryllium motor goes up in flames at Indianapolis, you'd bet your ass there will be large sums of money transferred from FIA to american spectators, staff and organisers with the help of an army of lawyers.

F1 cars use tungsten for ballast plates just above the skidblock. It can be moved around a bit to the optimum position.