New wing on Ferrari airbox

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
tonged

New wing on Ferrari airbox

I tink you need to be a member to access the link mate

*think...(my name aint Leeroy!)

You can see it on the front page too at http://www.autosport.com

tonged

I've tried to link below to the image on the autosport front page. I'm not sure if you need to be registered for the link actually to work, though.

also, new "ears" on the engine cover from yesterday apparently.

scarbs

The rubens shot is an old picture and not from the recent test (weird..)

Its funny how when Ferrari or other teams top run something borrowed from lesser teams Autosport deem it radical or innovative...!

scarbs wrote:Its funny how when Ferrari or other teams top run something borrowed from lesser teams Autosport deem it radical or innovative...!
Cuz its Ferrari!! They should admit it...

F1freak

I'm just speculating but could it be that Ferrari has some trouble generating sufficient downforce in the rear of the F2004? A few days ago they tried a wing mounted towards the rear end of the engine cover and now this. :?:

akbar21881

Whats on Ruben's car.The 'ear' is extended backwards until it looks like a fairing or something.

Yeah I agree that Ferrari seems to be lacking rear downforce because they are adding all kind of stuff to the back to their car.But the long wing that run from the fairing dissapeared from the car today, and there came those winglet at the airbox.Are they experimenting with the something basic that will eventually spawned a radical aero package?

lordzylos

I was watching the 2003 Goodward festival of speed on TV and I noticed those same (or very similar) wings around the airbox of the Ferrari F2002 that Ferrari brought to show off.

Do any other teams have these and did the Ferrari F2002 race with them?

SKRAT

Toberone panels

http://www.fluent.com/solutions/articles/tn168.pdf

I believe these 'toblerone' panels were ruled out sometime in 2002? FLUENT used CFD to help Ferrari with their design. (Only been watching since mid-03). I think there was another thread that addressed this already?

Any recent pictures of that 'new' airbox wing?

-Paul C

New Wing photo

This might be a better photo of those wings.

not so new idea...

Well since I put up the ferrari pic figured I'd also stick up this one from Monaco GP 2002. Maybe this airbox wing isn't such a new idea?

akbar21881

true..it isn't new.look at mclaren year 95 or 96, i can't remember which.