2009 design concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
boci

Re: 2009 design concepts

Do you guys think the shark fin is going to get some use from the top teams next year? with the taller rear wings I think it will not be such an efficient solution...

djos

boci wrote:Do you guys think the shark fin is going to get some use from the top teams next year? with the taller rear wings I think it will not be such an efficient solution...
I think the shark fin is banned based on the body work rules i've seen bandied about on this site.
"In downforce we trust"

SLC
SLC

djos wrote:I think the shark fin is banned based on the body work rules i've seen bandied about on this site.
It's still legal.

ESPImperium

Shark Fin is still legal from my interpritation of the rules.

djos

Hmmm, if it is still legal I suspect it wont feature in '09 due to the height of the new rear wing rendering the shark fin ineffective.
"In downforce we trust"

ESPImperium

I feel that it will make the rear wing more effective as it will take out the negitive yaw (i think???) flowing on to the wing, also sorting out the air that also stalls in that area as well.

I think it will be a highly effective component on the 2009 spec rear wing.

rjsa

It's a huge billboard. Trust me, it will be there.

Scotracer

The rear-wing will be even more sensitive to yaw next year, being deeper and narrower. I am 99.9999% sure every team will run a shark-fin of some sort.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Conceptual

Am I alone in thinking that the shark fin was an awesome development this year?

And I am hoping that with the taller and thinner rear wing next year that some teams will directly mount the wing to the fin, and remove the vertical pylons that hold it up now.

Would it violate the 2009 rules to mount the rear wing to the shark fin?

Scotracer

Conceptual wrote:Am I alone in thinking that the shark fin was an awesome development this year?

And I am hoping that with the taller and thinner rear wing next year that some teams will directly mount the wing to the fin, and remove the vertical pylons that hold it up now.

Would it violate the 2009 rules to mount the rear wing to the shark fin?
Not that I know of but it would violate the rules in terms of the vertical pillars on the rear wing -- for next year all teams are required to use a central vertical element for the rear-wing.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ESPImperium

Not wishing my life away and i am enjoying the current season very much with all its dramsa and little twists... But... I am really looking forward to the start of the off season testing to see what teams bring to their current cars to test for the 09 season.

Williams have done they rear wing thing
BMW Sauber, Honda, Toyota and i think Williams have testes KERS systems so far
They have all been on the slick tyres

but i am really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

myurr

ESPImperium wrote:BMW Sauber, Honda, Toyota and i think Williams have testes KERS systems so far
McLaren have too.

der don

Ayrton Senna

I like this design 2009 cars ! it will be same time slick tyres very excitin'

wesley123

Ayrton Senna wrote:I like this design 2009 cars ! it will be same time slick tyres very excitin'
Those cars look ugly i think, just 2008 cars without any t-wings and really weird rear wings.

P.S. Would anyone mind to make a quick drawing to show whare bodywork is and isnt allowed?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender