2009 design concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
johnbeamer

Re: 2009 design concepts

Just to be clear - and I've said this before - my reading of the situation is that the central section isn't banned. It is just heavily restricted.

The rules to read are:

3.10.4 No part of the car between 75mm and 355mm from the car centre line may be more than 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line.

3.10.5 Any parts of the car less than 75mm from the car centre line and more than 500mm behind the rear wheel centre line must be situated between 200mm and 400mm above the reference plane.

3.10.6 No part of the car less than 75mm from the car centre line and more than 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line may be more than 400mm above the reference plane.

Effectively this allows a small (150mm) central section that extends aft of the diffuser. Now unlike the current central section this is limited to the same height as the rest of the diffuser to a point 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line.

It may be that a central section isn't efficient under the new rules but it is allowed.

wesley123

You could build a double diffuser over there
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

djos

I dont understand why Williams would leave all the central section "junk" on their hybrid 08/09 car? Seriously what would be the benefit of this?
"In downforce we trust"

Scotracer

djos wrote:Image

I dont understand why Williams would leave all the central section "junk" on their hybrid 08/09 car? Seriously what would be the benefit of this?
Well they obviously just stuck the new wings onto a 2008 chassis. They are just bolt on parts.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ISLAMATRON

They still have to cool the engine... and they may have some secrets they dont want to let out yet... and as was previously stated the wings are pretty much bolt on parts.

Without chimneys, the entire cooling idealogy of the cars need to be redesigned.

djos

ISLAMATRON wrote:

They still have to cool the engine... and they may have some secrets they dont want to let out yet... and as was previously stated the wings are pretty much bolt on parts.

Without chimneys, the entire cooling idealogy of the cars need to be redesigned.
good point, that makes sense.
"In downforce we trust"

rjsa

smirkoff wrote:I've made a test converting it to Iges and importing in other softwares, but the mesh appeared "broken", with various parts out of scale. If I have some time later I'll do some more tests to convert it.
Did you use mesh or subds? If you used subds you can convert them into besier patches or nurbs, I think. Then export them. I used that for jewelry once.

imightbewrong

A bit bigger:

shotzski

2009 spec isn't as ugly as I thought it would be, but they could have at least made the rear wing a bit wider. It looks kinda funny. But over all, the car looks good. Or are they gonna trim it down some more?

imightbewrong

shotzski wrote:2009 spec isn't as ugly as I thought it would be, but they could have at least made the rear wing a bit wider. It looks kinda funny. But over all, the car looks good. Or are they gonna trim it down some more?
This is just the FW30 with some 2009 parts (front and rear wing) bolted on. You can see that it still has a lot of winglets on the side pods. Won't have those on the final spec.

monkeyboy1976

Those front wings will not last under racing conditions. Expect to see plenty of replacement going on during next season. I just hope that it does not happen through 130R at Suzuka or through the tunnel at Monaco.
At least the teams will be able to use up the current glut of Carbon Fibre stock.

Conceptual

Put a bridge wing and a shark fin on it, and lets go racing!

And I think that we are going to see ALOT of gray area on the sidepods next year. There isnt any rules specifically preventing sidepod shields that I have read. It is all going to come down to how it is integrated into the sidepod, and its radius.

If I am wrong, please show me the rule, because I remember reading through thinking that they werent going to lose much more than the barge boards, and some coke-bottle shaping to the sidepods.

The front wing on the Williams looks feeble, but a bridge would straighten it right out!

Scotracer

Conceptual wrote:Put a bridge wing and a shark fin on it, and lets go racing!

And I think that we are going to see ALOT of gray area on the sidepods next year. There isnt any rules specifically preventing sidepod shields that I have read. It is all going to come down to how it is integrated into the sidepod, and its radius.

If I am wrong, please show me the rule, because I remember reading through thinking that they werent going to lose much more than the barge boards, and some coke-bottle shaping to the sidepods.

The front wing on the Williams looks feeble, but a bridge would straighten it right out!
Sharkfins wont be as useful next year and bridge-wings are banned.

Also, a front-wing produces most of its downforce on the underside, not the upper surfaces so the lowering of it makes a big, big difference. No need for a bridge.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

modbaraban

Scotracer wrote:Also, a front-wing produces most of its downforce on the underside, not the upper surfaces so the lowering of it makes a big, big difference. No need for a bridge.
I thought bridge wings, cascades and such were mostly used to control the flow over the suspension towards the sidepods...

pipex

Hi,
i just wanted to ask if someone has a picture of the Ferrari F2008K. I searched in google but i have only found small pics... :(

Regards
"We will have to wait and see".