2009 design concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Re: 2009 design concepts

Conceptual wrote:Put a bridge wing and a shark fin on it, and lets go racing!

And I think that we are going to see ALOT of gray area on the sidepods next year. There isnt any rules specifically preventing sidepod shields that I have read. It is all going to come down to how it is integrated into the sidepod, and its radius.

If I am wrong, please show me the rule, because I remember reading through thinking that they werent going to lose much more than the barge boards, and some coke-bottle shaping to the sidepods.

The front wing on the Williams looks feeble, but a bridge would straighten it right out!
The rule on the volumes prevent any shield, because in the vertical cross section (taken perpendicular to the centerline) you have to have the mini radius and tangent continuous curve.

bridges are forbidden in the virtue of the bodywork rule stating that no aerofoil or any closed longitudinal cross section may be in the area of the nose.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

pipex wrote:Hi,
i just wanted to ask if someone has a picture of the Ferrari F2008K. I searched in google but i have only found small pics... :(

Regards
As driven by Badoer on a shake down at Fiorano two days ago (click for full res):

gerhard
gerhard

No big deal, the F2008K... only a F2008 without bargeboards and T-wings, nothing we haven't seen before... Hopefully the barça tests next week will bring some exciting stuff! :P

pipex
pipex

Thank you very much imightbewrong :)
Looking forward for Barcelona test gerhard :wink:
"We will have to wait and see".

timbo
timbo

gerhard wrote:No big deal, the F2008K... only a F2008 without bargeboards and T-wings, nothing we haven't seen before... Hopefully the barça tests next week will bring some exciting stuff! :P
Well, in my opinion it looks great! Much "faster" than original F2008.
Interesting detail is tinfoil covered rear wing supports. They expect much heat?

megz

Williams test 2009 front and rear wings

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/11073

It doesn't look too bad now, but once the sidepods are cleaned off the car will look slightly more different.

wesley123
wesley123

Re: Williams test 2009 front and rear wings

I cant stand the cars, i still dont know why the FIA does this, there are dozens of ways to let the cars race close to each other and make cars cleaner.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

vasia
vasia

timbo wrote:
vasia wrote:So what exactly does Howett mean in this case? Reading this, it's logical to assume that Toyota specifically designed a monocoque without KERS, and possibly will modify that monocoque, or will have a 2nd design to be able to accomodate and race with the KERS system.
That still does not mean it has to look different to the non-KERS version overall. Monocoque is not a bodywork! And sill it does not have any effect on similarity/dissimilarity between next year cars.
Obviously monocoque is not bodywork, but the monocoque does have some effect on the shape and dimensions of the bodywork. It would be silly to claim otherwise.

Regardless, we will see soon enough how different non-KERS cars look compared to KERS-equipped cars.
timbo wrote:
gerhard wrote:No big deal, the F2008K... only a F2008 without bargeboards and T-wings, nothing we haven't seen before... Hopefully the barça tests next week will bring some exciting stuff! :P
Interesting detail is tinfoil covered rear wing supports. They expect much heat?
Possibly there might be more heat expected from the KERS system (even though it's not yet equipped) which is what they could be preparing for. It could also be some 2009 parts they are testing. The F2009 might have more heat coming out in that section of the car.

myurr
myurr

timbo wrote:
Possibly there might be more heat expected from the KERS system (even though it's not yet equipped) which is what they could be preparing for. It could also be some 2009 parts they are testing. The F2009 might have more heat coming out in that section of the car.[/quote]

Or maybe the aero changes have sent more of the hot air (exhaust etc.) in the direction of the supports? This being a makeshift setup an' all...

timbo
timbo

myurr wrote:Or maybe the aero changes have sent more of the hot air (exhaust etc.) in the direction of the supports? This being a makeshift setup an' all...
That is probably true - gills are forbidden for next year, so more heat would be coming from radiator/engine exhausts. Also the hot air would not be mixed with a cold as effectively as with gills, so it would be definetely hoter in that area...

Shaddock

The front wing and clean sides look ok, it's the rear wing :x Too high and narrow for me :?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

wesley123 wrote:I cant stand the cars, i still dont know why the FIA does this, there are dozens of ways to let the cars race close to each other and make cars cleaner.
You're right, there are other options but since you weren't there to point them out in time, the FIA went with this one. :roll:

And I think that this discussion should be merged with the '2009 design concepts' thread, since the hybrid Williams could be discussed there too. As it fit's into the 2009 aero regs.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

meves
meves

As heat venting has been removed from the top of the side pod (gills and chimneys) does anyone thinik it would be possible to use permeable surfaces to release some of the heat? I'm not sure if they'd be able to get any one way materials that wouldn't introduce too much drag and be flexible.

ISLAMATRON

looks like an 88-89 car, but with a raised nose. What was the reason for narrowing the rear wing? could they not have just raised it like they did?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

La Gazzeta dello Sport reports that a partial KERS system was used at the Fiorano shakedown. And there are other reports that the F2008K could be using ballast to simulate the weight of KERS. But among so much speculation it's hard to know what's the real deal with it.

Thanks for the great image 'imightbewrong'.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.