BAR Rear wing rejection

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
uzael

BAR Rear wing rejection

I was reading over at planet-f1.com that the FIA has rejeced BAR's radical rearwing, does anyone have any photo's or real knowledege about this wing and it's supposed thrid element? I love to see true innovation and would love to see it in action.
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

Scuderia-Russ
Scuderia-Russ

Re: BAR Rear wing rejection

uzael wrote:I love to see true innovation
Something of a rarity these days!

Reca

Here you can find something that probably relates with the rumour :
viewtopic.php?t=541

Aradea

How Low Can Williams Go ??

If U checked the latest news about BAR's new wing design, you'll also heard that Williams is the culprit in making the Brackley based team to shelf their design. and according to the news that if Williams weren't complaining about the new wing, all of us can see a true innovation put to the thest in Imola.
I dont get it, for a big team, Williams sure got a lot of insecurity about their rivals in F1. If great ideas get blocked even in the design stage like this, I dont think Any team would ever catch Ferrari..
Williams is really pissing me off !! :evil:

joseff

According to a story on crash.net, the banned wing isn't the three-element one, rather it's the one with WRC-style vertical slats.

Aradea

Oh... I tought that BAR got some new wing strored for the European races.. Well, My mistake. But Williams Is Still Pissing me Off !!
Oh yeah, there's something I don't understand, Didn't BAR used it from the Melbourne GP ? Are there any differences between races that I've missed ?
Can anybody help me here ? Scarbs ?.. :)

scarbs

BAR haven’t been specifically cited in any of the FIA rulings and up to now have not proposed any rear wings to the FIA, I think there is a true story lurking under here somewhere, but Crash.net and Autosport are not on the button with the technical side of the story. BAR have run Fences (WRC style..!) since Melbourne, Williams adopted them in Bahrain. There is a story that suggests these fences could be angled to create their own downforce. I believe this is inaccurate, the FIA statement clarified Gurney flaps as the issue, not the fences.
BAR were seen playing with gurneys and multiple fences as part of the three element wing set up in testing, this could be the root of the debate. What constitutes a gurney is what is being clarified. I would suspect a gurney which creates an extra element, i.e. not being L shaped but adding another section to the tip of the L to act as a third element.

davecooper
davecooper

If this wing or any other idea is a blatant transgression of the rules then of course it should be deemed illegal. However, if it is a clever interpretation of the rules and falls in a "woolly" area where the wording of the rules does not specifically ban the idea then the team should be allowed to race with it for the rest of the season. The FIA can then modify the rules for the next season if it deems it appropriate. This is the only way that innovation will come back into F1.
Bring back skirts, active suspension and fan cars!

Irvingthien

Innovative design, said in a statment that the "third element" is joined with the second element so it is regarded as legal wing. If they used it in the first 3 races which produce brilliant performances, they should work harder to maintain their form.
But i didn't see them using it in races, probably tested it in testing and got rejected

marcush.

bar is quite a serious thread to Williams and Mclarens creditability in my opinion.
It must be hurting to see how ex williams personel thrieves elsewhere.
Quite a thing that some characters fit very well to the williams team,like Hill,Mansell and dare I say it Jones...whereas others unexplicably stumble or falter as zanardi or Frentzen..I feel at williams is an air of :well we did that 1978 and Jonesy was grabbing the thing at the throat and muscled it home,taking no prisoners....
But still no pics around of the new BAR suspension they tested ...and no confirmation that they use it .Clever thing to direct public focus on the aerobits..but looking at Jensons work in the cockpit we see a very well balanced smooth operating machine in his hands second to the ferrari smoothness if at all.

Aradea

BAR 006's new wings

In testing this week at Paul Ricard, the 006 car got a new front wing and a centre wing (behind the airbox, just like Ferrari). Does anyone have pictures on this new wing ? I'd love to see it..
I think Geoff Willis have to come up on other aero kit for the car since the fences got banned (isn't it ?).
Well, I hove this new aero improvement will close the gap tih Ferrari...
Go BAR !! :D