Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
dumrick

Re: Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Metar wrote:Didn't they ban a certain Braham for a certain rotating bit after a certain German dominated a certain race because it was against a certain spirit of a certain rule?
Lauda is an Austrian :wink:

Metar

The Germans annexed him, and he now does commentating duties for RTL. :P

jonathan189

I wouldn't take too seriously Rory Byrne's prediction that this decision will create a slippery slope leading to absurdly massive diffusers. My guess is that Brawn/Williams/Toyota have a virtually optimal diffuser under the current regulations.

In particular, section 3.10 of the regs puts some restrictions on bodywork behind the rear wheel centre line that looks as though it will to all intents and purposes block a multi-deck diffuser extending higher than 200mm above the reference plane or further than 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line. But I could be misreading it.
3.10.1 Any bodywork more than 150mm behind the rear wheel centre line which is between 200mm and 730mm above the reference plane, and between 75mm and 355mm from the car centre line, must lie in an area when viewed from the side of the car that is situated between 150mm and 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line and between 300mm and 400mm above the reference plane. When viewed from the side of the car no longitudinal cross section may have more than one section in this area.

macr

hi everyone, here is a cool link from marca.com: (spanish), an interactive flash that explains the double deck diffuser, and a comparision (comparativa) between brawn, williams, toyota and renault, hope you like it. cheers

http://www.marca.com/2009/04/15/motor/f ... 25973.html

Astro1

@jonathan,

I doubt that Byrne was consciously talking about just the diffusers. I think that with the current ruling it shows that the "spirit of the rules" is at least today non-existent. This opens up a whole range of loopholes and possibilities that teams would not have attempted to exploit.

Now, not only the diffuser, but other areas of "gray" will result in some interesting interpretation.

xpensive

What I here is that Adrian Newey is now working flat-out with a new multi-blade diffuser codenamed "fusion",
the fifth blade actually starting somewhere at Wunderkind's arse. Imagine that for innovation?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Astro1

Surely that fifth blade, is also supported by numerous axillary wiglets and similar devices :lol:

It has started...look what Maranello said...LOL

Some news from Maranello followed by my translation and interpretation.

Maranello, 15th April 2009 - Disapproval at Ferrari, with Stefano Domenicali's comment on the FIA verdict. Officially there are no further statements, but over the coming days the tone at Maranello may be raised significantly. A comment shared by the men from the Scuderia regarding the costs. FIA spoke a lot about reducing costs, but the investments as far as the KERS and the remodelling of the car with the "irregular"" diffuser is concerned will bring the team to spend more than in 2008 in such an economically delicate year!

Maranello, 15th April 2009 - After Stefano Domenicali had called everyone over the last days to take their respective responsibility, today he called all at Ferrari to react after the FIA sentence.

In an email sent to the whole Team Domenicali underlined how "this decision declares solutions, which according to us are violating the spirit and principles connected to a reduction of the aerodynamic downforce". Calling to the spirit of Ferrari, he asked his men to give even more of themselves to be competitive once again, without forgetting reliability.

The Head of the Scuderia Ferrari concluded his email talking about pride. "I know that I can count on your professionalism and your pride. Let's give it our all, as always!"

Translation!!! The spirit of the rules no longer exists so all that @#$%& we thought of, but didn't introduce because we were afraid the FIA and the rest would crucify us.....ITS NOW LEGAL!!!

Bring on the flexing floors, mass dampers, third pedals, and hidden extra fuel tanks!!!

timbo

So, how far ahead is it possible to create hole in the floor?
Is it possible to create hole somewhere in the middle and vent it to the side of sidepod?
Or is it precisely at the wheel centerline?

ESPImperium

McLaren MP4/24 intrim DDD and Renault R29 DDD:

ESPImperium

All diffusers, with exeption to the McLaren MP4/24 MK2 (Plugged diffuser) and the Toro Rosso STR4 ones, as i cant seem to find a picture, and ive spent the best part of an hour looking.

Aqua line is the 175mm refrence plane line.

Gecko

macr wrote:hi everyone, here is a cool link from marca.com: (spanish), an interactive flash that explains the double deck diffuser, and a comparision (comparativa) between brawn, williams, toyota and renault, hope you like it. cheers

http://www.marca.com/2009/04/15/motor/f ... 25973.html
This is likely quite wrong.

mep

So has Renault already copied the diffuser design?

Most interesting thing is what McLaren will do,
because it looks like the already have the space over the diffuser to put a second one on top.
And they have this spoon in the middle area, which makes no sense without the second layer because now they have a smaller diffuser area.

Nat
Nat

Aqua line can't be the reference plane - it is lower, where the plank is.

Roland Ehnström

Yes, aqua line is 175 mm above the reference plane.

Callum

Good pictures ESPI 8)